StL 2019 Game 52 thread: Sun 5/26 vs. Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 52 thread: Sun 5/26 vs. Braves

This topic contains 61 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Houstonlarry24 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Not that 15 of the last 21 games have been enjoyable losses, but tonight’s loss is TERRIBLE, on different levels. Somewhere, Matheny’s gotta be thinking “howya like me now, BDW?”

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Wong trying to win it for the Cards…whiffs on the first two, and now a third. Game over. It’s time for changes.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tough loss.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Pathetic!!!!

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

3 hits shouldn’t put us in a spot to win. Can’t really blame the pitchers even with how things went.

Lame loss

Not sure what changes can be made to help the hitting.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I’ve told you and told you……Hicks is just like Rosenthal! He is undependable, cant be relied on. You never know what you are going to get with him. Back to Memphis and work on consistency. Martinez becomes the late inning guy.

I could see this coming a mile away.

r/Esteemed Rat

GACard
    Participant

Free

Mike schildt is trash

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Back to Memphis and work on consistency.

Lol how about if he pitched more than 4 innings this entire month he would have consistency.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Not sure what changes can be made to help the hitting.

Short term — not much, really. We know what we’ve got — a streaky, unreliable group. Plus, Goldy has not done what we were hoping for. But keep batting him 2nd, skipper. Long term — a couple of front office moves might do wonders.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Like a box of chocolates.

GACard
    Participant

Free

I’ll talk to y’all in 3 weeks. Need to focus on some stuff and don’t mind skipping some games for that at this point. Maybe a good thing for me personally but still hate the trajectory. See y’all in a few weeks

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Here we go with Rat again thinking he knows it all and can see everything coming…how about Hicks actually gets some changes to pitch this month before piling on him jebus you are a one broken record Rat!

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We’re now firmly holding on to a tie for third at .500. That is just where we want to be. A good June and we’re right back in it. No reason to fret or be angry. Where did all the optimism go to?

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

A slump or a cold streak is a week or two but now becoming a month of the same concerns fans have had for 3 plus years makes it very hard to be optimistic. With the Cubs coming to town and how our boys fold their tents at the sight of the cubs line up only means this cowardice franchise will be in last place in a week. We are who we are and it is very soft.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

“cowardice franchise”
    Could you define that term? I could not find it in my Funk and Wagnalls.

I didn’t think this would be a pretty board this am (and it deservedly isn’t) but it appears that some are striving for new terminology to vent their anger.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<We’re now firmly holding on to a tie for third at .500. That is just where we want to be. A good June and we’re right back in it. No reason to fret or be angry. Where did all the optimism go to?>

I am still here. The NL Central is about the only division in baseball where there is a fight going on with four of the five teams at .500 or better and the fifth approaching that mark. Looking over the Atlanta lineup I am somewhat surprised that they aren’t leading that division and that may still happen. They really have a good balance of youth and veterans and I would not be surprised to see them move up in the playoffs if their pitching can hold together.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Last night’s game was a gut punch but I can’t criticize Shildt for Hicks lack of work this month because I don’t like using your closer in low leverage situations and we just haven’t had many high leverage situations this month because we are always way behind. That has been the fault of the rotation.

On a positive note Hudson and Flaherty both pitched well this past weekend. Maybe they are ready to start meeting expectations.

It will be a tough week we as play the first place Phils then the first place nemesis in blue.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Minuteman and 14, I am usually optimistic and I still remain there today.

My biggest complaint about the handling of the pitching for this game is Gant. I think he should have stayed in the game for all of the 8th inning. That would have kept Martinez available to relieve Hicks when it was apparent that Hicks didn’t have it.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Mike schildt is trash>

He may not be so bad if you knew how to spell his name. But then maybe you know a schildt who is trash. To me he is a manager not a God.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I have to smile as I look at some of the BAs for this team. It reminds me of the Kozma days when there was always an uproar because Kozma was batting .230-.235. Now that doesn’t draw a peep.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This was another example of why I do not like Hicks being used as the closer. But then that is a bit of a “glass half empty” comment, as he has saved 10 of 12 or something like that.

But with that arm and potential, he needs to be working on a regular basis, and that should be in AAA. Even he said he needs to get his reps and be out there on a more consistent basis.

I would like to management take a serious look at bringing on Kimbrel, although after getting burned last year on Holland they are undoubtedly gun shy about that. I am sure they are committed to Hicks as the closer. Personally I feel it is a misuse of him at this age. But if you are going to do that, then you will have some bumps in the road, like last night.

Even the best do not save ’em all, although there was that one year where Brad Lidge was perfect for the Phillies. But then I think he blew one in the post season.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Can anyone think of a solid closer in the last, let’s say, 20 years who was 22 years old? Hicks has been good at times, but closing out a game requires a temperament that most pitchers gain through experience. You have to be the boss on the mound, not just a flamethrower who takes pitch signs from his catcher. Hicks May grow into that, but he’s not there now. Waino and Yadi should be mentoring him on that (maybe they are, but hard to tell).

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not to pile on, but I see excitement over graphics like this and shake my head. No mention of how many of them were strikes.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Regarding young closers and Kimbrel, specifically, he became the Braves’ closer a couple of months before turning 23.

If I had my preference, I’d rather see the Cards address the rotation (or even the offense) before spending significant resources on a closer. While last night’s failure is fresh, the ninth inning is not close to being the main reason why this team is .500.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years