StL 2019 Game 47 thread: Sun 5/19 at Rangers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 47 thread: Sun 5/19 at Rangers

This topic contains 44 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by A. Hart A. Hart 6 hours, 8 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

2:05 p.m. RHP Jack Flaherty (4-3, 4.34) vs. LHP Drew Smyly (0-3, 6.85) Fox Sports Midwest // KMOX

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I think we miss Shelby Miller this series. Too bad! lol

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Bad storms forecast for SW Indiana this afternoon. I might lose the satellite signal and miss this game. The main thing, however, is to keep Whitey Herdog safe and sound if Mother Nature unleashes its fury.

I think its about time Goldfinger finally got off the schneid so I expect big things from him in this one.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t pamper that pooch, Esteemed One! Chain Herdog smack dab in the middle of the lawn and have her duke it out with Mother Nature. I too am a dog lover. But let’s face it, your dog should serve one sole purpose….to protect and serve. So, what’s on the munchie menu for tomorrow’s game, Esteemed Rat?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Pretty quiet here for a change. Winning helps soothe the psyche. I applaud the FO for those moves involving Martinez, Helsley, Leone and Gregerson. Piece by piece the pen is being built up to a strong unit. Hudson showed some spunk yesterday and I credit the pitching coach and Yadi for keeping him amped up enough after that 1st inning. The team rallied behind him and that counts for a lot.

How about the “Opener” discussion. Shildt says it may happen – or not. If it became popular it sure would change the pitching won/lost stats in a way. If a team uses an opener for an inning or two they would not have a chance to win the game but the 2nd pitcher (the REAL starter) could pick up a win with less than 5 innings. Hmmmmmm.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

With the way the game has evolved, many people already consider a pitcher’s win-loss record not very meaningful. It just moves further in that direction with more use of an “opener.”

ERA was perhaps just as meaningful to me and sometimes more so, but now there is much more to consider. However, I’m a bit old school and also value a bulldog mentality on the mound where a starter rises to the occasion and delivers a clutch late inning that’s the key to the win. Some guys are just better in high leverage situations late in games. Win-loss records meant something to me. That element is gone and isn’t coming back.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I doubt the “Opener” tactic will ever gain much traction. It is a novel idea, but the problem is you burn a pitcher in the early innings, and are basically limiting that option later in what would be considered more high leverage situations.

Now in a bit of a counter-point to my own comment, baseball games can be won in the first inning. Most of us remember winning the division series game against the Phillies back in 2011 after only two batters. But it takes a lot of good pitching later on to do that, and when you burn a pitcher in the first couple of innings, you have given up a potential weapon to use later on.

It will be interesting to see how it evolves. Studies have shown that specialized bullpen strategies have not made a significant difference in the outcome of games. In other words, a team up by 2 runs in the 7th inning won the same percentage of time in 1950 as they did in 2015. Not only that, the LOOGY has not shown to be statistically more valuable. The best strategy is to go with your best pitcher, and not try to play “the percentages”, as the percentages are that the best pitcher, right or left, gives you better odds than strictly left-on-left, or right-on-right.

This is all from a couple of SABR studies that have looked extensively at the current pitching strategies, to see how much impact they have on turning what might have been a loss to a win compared to historical data. The simple answer, not much.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Don’t pamper that pooch, Esteemed One! Chain Herdog smack dab in the middle of the lawn and have her duke it out with Mother Nature. I too am a dog lover. But let’s face it, your dog should serve one sole purpose….to protect and serve. So, what’s on the munchie menu for tomorrow’s game, Esteemed Rat?

Pugs,
    Menu is about the same. More of the Hamburger Helper/Salisbury, mashed potatoes, and a strawberry cream cake with whipped icing from the grocery. Then a cigar as I tune into FSMW. Just hope the bad storms and rain stay away. I just checked the Doppler Radar and it shows the green stuff has about passed our area already. We’ve had enough rain this spring, the farmers need to get into the fields.

I am calling this one 7-3 Redbirds with a ringing long one by Goldfinger the big blow.

By the way, anybody notice the Cubs are on the ESPN Sunday Night Game for the 3rd straight week tonight?

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like some good eats Rat. Today I am going with some White Castle sliders, chips, banana, and Diet Mountain Dew.

And yes the Cubs are the media darling. Everyone fawns over them. After this year we should only have to put up with them about two more years before their core starts to get very very expensive. I can’t wait for that day.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cubs can have Sunday Nights. For Sundays, I prefer good old fashioned day games.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As for the “opener” concept I don’t see how it could ever be sustainable on a regular basis over 162 games. Pitcher’s arms would start falling off. It might be effective on a limited and targeted basis though.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 7 hours ago by Avatar gscottar.
    1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well I don’t care for stupid stuff like openers. just play classic baseball. just leave it to people to take a great game like baseball and ruin it for selfish goals. its up to the commissioner and his crew to stop this kind of stuff, to act in the best interest of the game. maybe make the teams announce and keep their starter/opener well beforehand, give the teams the option to construct their lineup as they see fit and change them as they go along in the game with no limit on substitution and reentry. would stop this stupid nonsense.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Pssst don’t tell everybody but ESPN thinks that the Cubs are the only team in flyover country.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

…”its up to the commissioner and his crew to stop this kind of stuff, to act in the best interest of the game.”

Willie we are way beyond “this kind of stuff” with the commish. We already have replay review, no blocking the plate, 2nd base slide rule, staying in the batters box, timing the pitcher and more on the way such as moving the distance to the bases and mound (I believe the Atlantic league is experimenting with that this year). When the DH hits the NL I may have to cash in my chips (close to that already). I cannot see supporting old veterans with big paychecks to swing a stick and never put on a glove.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

SMH on that at bat by Fowler. Had the guy on the ropes for an early KO and you swing 3-0.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Way to go Mike. That was a terrible strike call.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

This umps strike zone is cray cray! lol

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

At least this one can’t be blamed on Shildt. The lack of challenge (even if you lose, you’ve got to try it) and then leaving Miller in to face the righties…not sure what they were thinking.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Agreed 25. At least the Blues gave us something to cheer today. Hoping to close that one out Tuesday night! Let’s go Blues!

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Wow, Fowler ties it on a blast to right. 3-3

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Blah

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Not sure if its Marmol or Maddox who is in charge of making the pitching changes with Shildt’s ejection but just because Hicks has only pitched 3 games in the past 19 days doesn’t mean you can leave him out there for 30+ pitches. That was some of the worst bullpen management. It was like Matheny came back to the dugout. So instead the Cardinals winning 4-3 they lose 4-5 because of stupid game management.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

As I have stated over and over, walks from Hicks are going to hurt us.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Agreed it was not a smart decision to send him back out there to pitch. They showed fight the last two games and for the most part did what they had to do to win but won just one of the two. Maybe they have steadied the ship for now.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 2 hours ago by Avatar TexasCard.
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

You can’t lose a game like that. Well you can if you leave your young fire baller who’s barely pitched in 3 weeks in a game like that.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years