StL 2019 Game 47 thread: Sun 5/19 at Rangers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 47 thread: Sun 5/19 at Rangers

This topic contains 44 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by A. Hart A. Hart 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

As I have stated over and over, walks from Hicks are going to hurt us.

That loss isn’t on Hicks.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Hicks continues to be mismanaged. He either does not pitch, or now he pitches too much when he has not been used enough to warrant that. Man, they gotta get the kid on a consistent program while he is still young and can have a career. If you are going to make him throw 100 mph consistently, then you gotta limit the pitch count. When he goes to his secondary pitches, his command is not there. He really needs to adopt the Sandy Koufax mantra that turned his career around. Koufax thrived when he took a little off, and got the first pitch strike. Once he started doing that, well, the rest is history as they say. Hicks can do that same thing – back off a little on that first one, and get ahead in the count. Makes all the difference.

Meanwhile, CMart looks like your closer. He comes in and pounds the strike zone – well, at least for 1 2/3 innings he has. That’s not saying much, but he looks like he can do that from the early results. Had Bader not airmailed the throw to the plate, he (Martinez) may have given us a shot in the 11th.

Still a good effort. The club is grinding. I do not see any of that “gutless” stuff some posters have mentioned. I have seen some bad baseball and poor decisions, but not really “gutless” baseball. At least the way I would define it, which would be to give up and go through the motions.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dave Duncan’s name has been popping in my head often these days. It has become obvious that our pitching tutorledge needs to go in a different direction. I doubt Dave is looking for a full time gig, but maybe he could be coerced into lending a hand. Last I heard he was in Arizona……. and Phoenix is an absolutely miserable place to be from May to October.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A lineup that’s as stacked as this Cardinal lineup is, and not getting wins. How can that be?!

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I didnt have a problem with Hicks starting the 10th since he’s not thrown much lately. But Hicks should have been removed after he gave up the single and then the walk. Especially with Martinez ready.

I must point out that so far this year the Homeplate umpiring (balls & strikes) has been really bad.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good point, Rat. Having Hicks come out for the 10th really was not a problem. But after the single, and definitely after the walk he should have been pulled. I am sure management wanted him to get through it and gave him a long leash. But he needs more experiences like this, preferably in less critical situations.

Mudville, the problem with the lineup is primarily your 1 and 2 hitters underperforming. The club is giving their most ABs to guys who continually strike out. Also it would help if our cleanup hitter was hitting better than .225. They will likely get better though, and things won’t look so sour.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Had to catch the highlights after listening to parts on the radio today…agree w/you both, BikeMike and Rats—Hicks should have been pulled earlier. 39 pitches for a 100+mph closer is too many by a factor of 2. CMart was then put into an impossible situation. I’m sure Hicks said he was fine, but the mgrs should have pulled him earlier. I’m not a physiologist but I can’t imagine his arm holding out for long with that kind of demand, long periods of inactivity followed by short bursts of maximum effort. Boston’s once ace Bill Lee used to say pitch till your arm falls off, but they didn’t throw 100+ in the 70s. Maddox needs to be careful here.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Dave Duncan’s name has been popping in my head often these days. It has become obvious that our pitching tutorledge needs to go in a different direction. I doubt Dave is looking for a full time gig, but maybe he could be coerced into lending a hand. Last I heard he was in Arizona……. and Phoenix is an absolutely miserable place to be from May to October.

Nothing from that era would ever be allowed to return. You know who wouldn’t allow it. I’m sure he cringed bringing Oquendo back for a season.

Minuteman3
    Participant

I’ll stay out of the Hicks debate as that is above my couch coaches pay grade. But I will say that either that HPU is crooked or the most incompetent person seen in that position in many years. Crooked – I doubt as he was pretty bad to both teams but he really pulled a lot of calls out of his derriere. In summary, he forwarded the case for electronic strike zone by at least two years. At one point Fox even dropped putting the strike box on the screen and I was thinking that MLB had called and asked for mercy…..but it did appear again later.

I like that the boys showed some spunk to come from behind but they sure missed some great chances in that first inning. Take a day off guys and come back fired up to beat the worst team in baseball a couple of times.

Minuteman3
    Participant

After reading Hicks comments on his performance I think I will got with his explanation instead of those furthered here. He said fatigue was not a factor and he was not tired but that the hitters were holding off on his good pitches and hitting those in the zone. Even Shildt says that they had Hicks programmed for 40 pitches. It is what it is. Nobody comments on the fact that it was Miller who got us in a pickle to start with – 2 hits including a dinger. I was hoping to see some new blood and Carlos did a nice job in a near hopeless situation.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You can’t blame Shildt for Hicks’ lack of work recently. The team has routinely been behind most every game most of the games were not close. Should we use Hicks when we are trailing by 5+ runs? I don’t think so.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The worst team in MLB is MIA and the METS went in there and were swept. Don’t count eggs.

A. Hart
    A. Hart
    Participant

Free

I had no problem with leaving Jordan out there. But when he let the 1st batter get on base, it was time to get him OUT OF THERE and have Gant warmed up and bring him in with Martinez ready in waiting. Very BAD MANAGEMENT and really, I would seriously look at getting rid of Shildt and bringing in someone to MANAGE with a little more FIRE and not so NICE! Shildt is a very good man but I think a manager needs to be a little more outspoken and DEMANDING!!! I know it’s a different era. But kind of like Vince Lombardi. If you play good, you are in the starting lineup. If you don’t, then we’ll put someone in the starting lineup that wants to play! Like Bader, Munoz, maybe O’Neil, and give Gyorko a chance at starting. Gyorko: 2016- 30 HR, 2017: 20 HR, 2018: Hurt. He’s not hurt NOW!!! Send Carp to Memphis and let him work his difficulties out down there. He figures it out, bring him back. Right now, Carpenter for lead off hitter his KILLING US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I MEAN REALLY KILLING US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BAD!!!!!! Striking out on pitches in the dirt! Along with Ozuna, and others/ Martinez too, sometimes.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Welcome, A. Hart. I don’t think the issue is the “want to play”. They all want to play, some are just struggling at it. Carpenter cannot be sent to the minors without his consent. However, dropping him in the batting order until he rebounds is long overdue.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Don’t see a game 48 thread yet but the weather may play a big part. Here in SW Missouri we had a rough night and it is looking bad for this afternoon too. Not sure but it may hit STL area about game time.

A. Hart
    A. Hart
    Participant

Free

Thanks Brian Walton. You’re probably right. I’m sure they all “want to play.” Some of them aren’t exactly demonstrating it though, you got to admit. If I was the manager, Matt Carpenter would want to play in Memphis for a while and get his problems worked out if he “wants to play” because I wouldn’t be dropping him down in the batting order. I’d have him warming the bench. They’ve done been through dropping him down in the order and batting leadoff is the only spot where he has excelled at his best.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I thought the “Carpenter can only hit leadoff” idea has been debunked by his start to 2019. How could he hit any worse than he is now if put elsewhere in the lineup?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It seems like bad business practice to demote your reigning best player and an MVP candidate from a year ago over a bad start. Certainly it’s not like Gyorko is hitting in his limited chances to impress. Carpenter has earned the right to work through his slump. If it’s August and he’s still hitting .200, then we can talk.

A. Hart
    A. Hart
    Participant

Free

Well, maybe Gyorko isn’t hitting because he’s had very, as you said, “limited chances to impress.” Let him play every day and see what he does. I’m sure he can hit better than .200 and 5 HR. You wait till August on Carpenter, the season will be over by then. That’s what seems like “bad business practice.” But if you guys are satisfied with losing, go ahead and be losers because it’s good “business practice.”

A. Hart
    A. Hart
    Participant

Free

Why put Carpenter ANYWHERE in the lineup?

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years