StL 2019 Game 44 thread: Thu 5/16 at Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 44 thread: Thu 5/16 at Braves

This topic contains 51 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by BlackHillsCard BlackHillsCard 3 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I pray to God that the Rangers absolutely destroy us in the first game of that series so that we can finally win a series again.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am curious if we had a chance to get Gio Gonzalez. His 1.69 era sure looks good. Maybe he didn’t want to come to the Lou?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Marcell hitting .179 in the month of May with 11 K’s…..brutal. Make that 12 K’s and Marcell is barking his displeasure to the home plate ump. I’m now forced to make an adjustment to Marcell’s 2019 grade…… I’ll downgrade him to a C+. Cards have yet to muster a hit in this game as we move on to the bottom of the 4th.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cy Teheran looking like he did in his glory days as he mows down Cardinals. I feel like this team has literally had a mental block since they lost to the Cubs in 2015 in the playoffs. It’s unreal how something harpoons their success every single year, and often something completely ridiculous.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, you sure wonder, Cardinals27?? He sure could have helped. I’ve always felt that a team needs at least 2 starters that give you a tremendous chance for victory every time they take the hill, if you really want to make a serious run at a trophy. Last year we had one…..Mikolas. This year we have none. That’s sad.

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

Haven’t won back to back games since April 30 and May 1. Just not a good group of players and a bad culture.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well Teheran is pitching well but our offense is still looking horrible. waino has been so so which means not so good things for us tonight. things can change quick but looks like texas is where we are gonna have to get our groove on. the pitchers we are facing there have some pretty high eras so if we cant hit them, its looking grim.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi a check swing blooper to right to break up the Teheran no-no and that’s only the 4th Redbird hit in this series since the first game of this 3 game set concluded.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have no idea why??? But I presently have the strongest urge to bellow out that Kentucky Derby song “My Old Kentucky Home”. Anybody else experiencing that?

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs, I believe you would be the only one to have that thought.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

This is looking like the 90s Braves vs. the 90s Cardinals. Unwatchable.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I have no idea why??? But I presently have the strongest urge to bellow out that Kentucky Derby song “My Old Kentucky Home”. Anybody else experiencing that?

Pugs?

Its “Back Home Again In Indiana” for me. But, unfortunately, we don’t have old Gome to sing it for us anymore. But someone will be singing it and soon.

r/Esteemed Rat

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Gregerson and Webb aren’t the reasons the Cardinals are losing, but I seriously don’t understand how you can throwing them out there only to see underwhelming results. There’s no way Gregerson is better than Helsely.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I just cannot imagine how this team has enough starting pitching or a consistent enough offense to make any kind of run. If they are still hovering around .500 at the All Star break I sincerely hope that they do a house cleaning. Wacha, Ozuna, Wong, Jmart, Gyorko could probably fetch some decent prospects. DFA Gregerson, Cecil, and any other bullpen dead weight and fill up the roster with future players. You’d still have Carpenter, Munoz, Dejong, Goldy, Fowler, Bader, O’Neill, Yadi as a lineup.

Stpcard
    Participant

Free

This team is great when they are up or down big. No pressure situations they perform. When it’s tight and someone needs to step up…nada.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

The only pitcher that threw today that I couldn’t live without is Hicks. The other 4 I would dump in a heartbeat. This isn’t going to last with Waino.

This teams starting pitching is very average and walking way too many hitters and not going long into games.

The lineup is super streaky.

The bullpen has solid pitchers but the three guys who threw tonight after Waino and before Hicks shouldn’t even be here. Kick them to the curb and get some new blood in here. Ponce, Helsley and hell I’d take Crvenka even over Webb. They hand Cecil his papers as well.

Seems like the same old song and dance we’ve seen the past 3 years. Management didn’t do enough to hedge their bets in the off season and when they did spend they did for the most part foolishly.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

I couldn’t watch the game after the 2nd inning and just saw the box score. I guess I should consider myself fortunate. Nobody should have to watch Webb, Gregerson, and Leone throw consecutively (notice I didn’t say “pitch”). Cards are reeling. I noticed the ERAs of the three pitchers the Cards will face in Texas are all north of 6. Maybe they’ll have a chance.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Waino is your 5th starter at best and you’re gonna have games like this and you’re gonna have games like his last game. The problem is the other 4 starters who supposed to be 2-3 guys aren’t pitching well right now and when they are the offense sucks. Outside of 2 games where they scored 31 runs, the offense has been terribly pathetic.

GACard
    Participant

Free

I’m very busy and can’t watch a lot for the next month. I guess there isn’t much reason to anyway

Really don’t remember the last time I’ve been so apathetic. If I feel this way this point, this must be how you lose a fanbase

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Avatar GACard.
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Question of the day: Who gets the ax today when Carlos returns? Not sure if Leone has any options but since he is cheaper than Gregerson it may be either one of them. Cecil has seemingly disappeared from the radar but I am sure he is lurking back there somewhere just waiting to make his appearance at the most inopportune time.

Sure would like to see Helsly back up so maybe Gregerson AND Leone could be gone.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals are now closer to last place than they are first place.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BenFred suggests the Cardinals are fortunate that the fan base may have their attention diverted by the Blues. This doesn’t apply to me. I have no interest in hockey.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Does anyone really believe the Blues have diverted fan attention away from the Cardinals? Maybe casual fans, I guess, but that is what being a casual fan is about.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Agreed. It certainly hasn’t diverted the attention away from the folks on this board but we aren’t casual.

My interest in hockey ranks somewhere between bowling and women’s golf.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Avatar gscottar.
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel like this team has literally had a mental block since they lost to the Cubs in 2015 in the playoffs.

I think that mental block is shared by the FO and the fans.

I think that the infield is set and can’t be changed for different reasons. Only DeJong is above mediocrity. The OF is set and can’t be changed for different reasons… basically less than mediocre at this point. Molina is playing better than I thought but still very mediocre.

Starters have taken a step backwards from pre-season hype and resulting in a mediocre rotation.
    The bullpen is probably less than mediocre. Shildt is not the redeemer as billed… just another mediocre manager. I see little inspiration.

Conclusion: at this juncture of the season what we have here is a mediocre team that doesn’t appear to be “built to win”. To be truthful, the FO should now be saying that this team is built to be mediocre, or this team WAS built to win awhile ago. Mozeliak and company just don’t get it. Please change the upstairs personnel. The offices up there must have that stale smell to them.

The Cards are trending to be the Angels of the NL.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years