StL 2019 Game 27 thread: Sun 4/28 vs. Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 27 thread: Sun 4/28 vs. Reds

This topic contains 72 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 14NyquisT 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Euro put things into it’s proper perspective.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Very questionable bullpen management by Shildt in this game. Got the win but we used way more relievers than we should have.

No off date until May 13.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar gscottar.
    stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gant starts Dietrich with a nice curve to go 0-1. Now a change to make it 0-2 and we are one strike away from the W. Gant nearly gets the heater past him but Yadi can’t hold onto the foul tip. Dietrich gets ahold of a liner…right into the glove of Goldy! 5-2 Cards and a series victory!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Dietrich Cincy’s last prayer….blisters a shot smack dab into Goldy’s waiting mitt to end it!

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Yadi cost Hicks a save with that 8th inning 2 out 2 run double

Yep, ironically the game would’ve probably ended with fewer pitches and more smoothly for the pen without Yadi’s insurance. Nice job by Flaherty.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It doesn’t seem like we have got much mileage out of Leone. I was (and still am) hopeful he would rebound because his stats were good every other year, and 2019 should be a good one.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Albeit a very precarious lead at this juncture, it sure is nice sitting atop the division looking down at all the other hopefuls once again. This feels right….this feels just….this feels like this is the way it’s supposed to be for we Cardinal fans. Now if only the cubbies would kindly occupy that cellar spot where they were ensconced for so many decades, then things would be perfect again.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs and D’backs tied 3-3 in extra innings in Arizona.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Still tied heading to the 14th in Phoenix….quick story. The last year I lived in Phoenix(’95), Colangelo’s group took out this huge ad in the Arizona Republic for people to submit entries to name the new baseball team that would be coming in a few years. At that time the team was going to be named after the city and not the State. The winning submission would receive 2 lifetime season tickets. I knew there would be a zillion entries named the Phoenix Scorpions or Diamondbzcks. Well, I came up with a name that I thought was much much better. One that would truly capture Arizona’s intense summer climate and a name that that was original and just flowed out of your mouth. The “Phoenix Flamethowers”. Now doesn’t that name conjure up visions of a Randy Johnson firing blazing bullets towards home plate or a Bernard Gilkey nailing a player at home with a laser throw from right field. Well, Colangelo & Co. dropped the ball by going with the unoriginal, uninspiring name “Diamondbacks”.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Looks like the Cubs are going to win. Now have a 6-3 lead heading to the last of the 15th.

They go to Seattle for a couple of games this week before they come home to face the Redbirds. Maybe it will be like a “Seattle Slew” the Cubs situation..:)

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Similar to Pugs’ “Phoenix Flamethrowers” moniker for the then future DBacks, I did a similar thing herein Denver when the new baseball te am was being formed. There was still debate on whether to use the city or state name. But I submitted a name I though captured both the city and the region, the “Denver Mountain Lions”.

Not only that, you could create a great logo from a mountain lion. I pictured a hat logo with a “D”, and a menacing mountain lion at an angle in the center.

But of course they went with the retread name of the old NHL team that was here in the early 1980s. No creativity,

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs hung on and won 6-5 in 15 innings. Shux.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great name, BicycleMike! Both our choices should have won. I think this wasn’t a contest at all, but rather whichever name received the most submissions was to be likely the one that they were going to go with. In my case, I bet they received at least 5000 tallies for “Diamondbacks”, from which they grabbed one name out of the hopper for the winner. As a bonus, I even submitted 3 cool “PHOENIX FLAMETHROWERS” logo drawings. I thought I had the darn contest in the bag….oh well.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Love your “Esteemed Rat” sign off, Rat! You certainly have never been one lacking in confidence……and for good reason, Rat!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Well it is official — the ugliest strikeout of the 2019 season: Tyler ONeil flailing away at anything that resembles a white spinning orb despite it being headed to earth. I see his 1-11 at Springfield is looking good. I, for one, wish Lane Adams had been allowed to stay up but it seems like Hercules with the birds on the bat has first dibs. Surely he can’t top yesterdays performance.

Otherwise, a very nice game for Flaherty and the Cards. Congrats to Yadi on keeping his streak alive.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Hicks should have been left in the game. When he has command, he seems unhittable. It got a little scary at the end of the game. I’d like to see Jesus Cruz pitch in the Lou.

AM I being lulled into false sense of security, or do Fowler and JMart not seem so horrific on defense, as they were in the past?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry, off-topic but, I think about pro team names sometimes… its difficult to find ones that haven’t been taken by college, minors and others like soccer etc.

IMO, there are some bad pro ones out there: some are nonsensical.
    Mets- what’s a Met?
    Phillies- what’s a Phillie?
    Bills- Buffalo Bill? doesn’t make sense.
    Browns- an ex-coach? What ever happened to the old Brownie elf they used as a logo? Dawgs would be better… a no-brainer.
    Lakers- old home Minnesota has hundred of lakes, should have left that moniker there.
    Jazz- old home N.O. is known for Jazz… Utah, not so much.
    Flyers- just not getting it.
    Then there are the generic names, Jazz, Magic, Heat, Thunder, Lightning, Avalanche, Wild. What do you call one player from those? Not a fan of any of those names.

Challenge to Pugs and Bike: find some new names for these sad ones.

And don’t get me started on logos. Worst of all by a mile = Anaheim Ducks, seriously?
    Best updated: Nuggets, much improved.

ps. Mountain Lions = much better.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Then you must be in love with ‘Sod Poodles.’………………..LOL

Hicks. I am glad they took him out of a non-save situation but trying to show Leone how much faith you have in him darn near backfired. With 7 road games in the next 7 days I think the more rest Hicks has the better.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Mets = Metropolitans (still not much of a name)
    Buffalo Bills = Buffalo Bill Cody (who was born in Iowa territory but did live in the Toronto territory for a bit)

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Re Leone – while the results weren’t good I’ll point out that he also wasn’t lucky.

If Goldy snares that liner, game over. He didn’t (would have been a ‘Wow’ play so not saying he should have gotten it).

OTOH, Goldy did snare the hard hit liner off Gant. Game over.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by UConn Card UConn Card.
    RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

You have the Yankees. You can’t use the historical names of NY teams, the Giants or Dodgers since they are now SF and LA. So, you have a new team. Everything in NYC seems to be named the Metropolitan something or other. Metropolitan Opera, Museum of Art, etc. So, they became the Metropolitans.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

…I believe New York had “Metropolitans” teams way back in the early days of professional baseball – 1870s, 1880s.

Thanks for the thumbs up on my “Mountain Lions” name, 14! Like Pugs, I thought my name had a great chance. And I do recall when the Colorado Rockies name was announced, there was some disappointment around here as people still associated with the hockey team, as the Nordiques had not relocated here yet.

Speaking of which, they also had a naming contest for the Nordiques after it was announced they would be moving to Denver. I did not nominate anything there, and was not real big on “Avalanche”, but that was the choice.

While some names of relocated teams make no sense on the surface (Jazz, Lakers), I am okay with it as it pays homage to the franchise roots. Had the Orioles been named the “Baltimore Browns”, I would have been okay with it.

One thing I do not like is state names, when there are more than one team in that state. “Texas Rangers” for example. While the Texas Rangers are the legendary old west police force in Texas and worthy of a sports team name, you cannot really use it when you have a team in Houston as well.

California Angels was another one, but now they really have a screwy name with Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Just truncate it to Los Angeles, or Anaheim.

One other comment about the Angels – they need to change their hat logo color to white, or maybe blue. A red logo on a red hat does not work. It does have the faint white outline, but it still is pretty lame. What they should do is go back to the hats they had in the beginning, with the interlocking LA, two-tone and the circle halo on top. Those are great caps! Every time I think of those I think of Albie Pearson.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The NHL Colorado Rockies moved to New Jersey Meadowlands and became the NJ Devils. How’s that for a team name. You should see their mascot shooting t-shirts out to the crowd…. scary stuff. I’m surprised no push back from the religious groups. Hey the Demon Deacons have also been around with no protests.

Viewing 23 posts - 51 through 73 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years