StL 2019 Game 24 thread: Wed 4/24 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 24 thread: Wed 4/24 vs. Brewers

This topic contains 59 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I jus calls em as I sees em. But I realize that others may see different. Jed’s error rate last season was pretty high – higher than even JMart and his bat did not match his initial year with the Cards. Plus he seems to have gimpy legs. Youth is the name of the game and Munoz can fill in amply with the same average defense and a better bat plus more infielders are cooking in the minors. You can’t just sit Jed on the bench and hope he improves. Right now I am seeing Munoz and Robinson as the players who will fill in for the infield as needed this season. Jed has done time at all positions but, again, youth is in the air (and it works cheaper…lol)

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think JEdd can be really useful, but in the role we are using him he is not worth it IMo

Move him for lefthanded help or clear a roster spot with a young prospect

In the terrible occurrence of Carp or someone else going down, we have several other players who can step up and probably deserve the chance to step up over an extended time period

Gyorko seems at his best when he plays a lot…if Shildt isnt going to play him a lot, we are looking at what we are going to get, erratic hitting

If we only have him “just in case” that seems a luxury…and i dont mind luxuries as long as everything else is working well…we have a deficiency from the left side of our pitchers, in the rotation and the relief corps

If we lose Miller and/or Webb reverts…what do we have waiting to help? Genesis? not ready. Shreve…gopher balls and we tried it…Gomber, proving more valuable as starter/trade chip

If we move Gyorko to try to help our left handed pitching…or at least make room for us to try to find another solution (if a trade of Gyorko cant get us the lefthander alone)…we have waiting to help at 3b….. Munoz, Robinson, Schrock, Edman, Urias, even Sosa…..and while each of them may have some caveats, we at least could try different solutions to see who might catch on…

Gyorko should be a starter…he cant be a starter here unless someone gets hurt…that is fine to do with a backup catcher…but with the depth we have, Gyorko’s value seems better suited in finding a solution to a need we have RIGHT NOW for something we have limited or no solutions for…instead of a potential need we MAY have later, which at least has some potential solutions in place

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Still too early to say Gyorko can’t hit off the bench. We will also probably have some dings later and need him to play.

One of the neat things in the Milwaukee series was that we kept “Darth” Hader on the bench.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I have no counter to the use of error rate (across different positions, no less) as a way to assess player value.

P.S. But it does lead one to wonder if records might be set if Jose Martinez played third base. Then again, better to not go there. 😉

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seriously though, what are people seeing in Robinson that leads to optimism? He now has over 125 plate appearances since joining the organization. Here is how it breaks out.

StL spring BA .254, OPS .620, 38.3% K rate
    Memphis BA .217, OPS .629, 32.8% K rate
    StL BA .143, OPS .286, 42.9% K rate (just seven plate appearances)

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why wouldn’t Gyorko go to Memphis for a week, get several starts and some atbats, and then get called back?

I guess there’s a reason.

r/Rat

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The reason is that Gyorko is not currently on the injured list. Veterans cannot just be optioned to the minor leagues.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see no optimism about Robinson. He is 27, and will be a career minor league utility infielder. At least Wisdom delivered some key hits. I like Wisdom’s glove at first and third. We didn’t trade away a key player, but we LOST the trade. All that for a left handed hitter who can play a lot of positions, but can’t hit.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

With Texas, Wisdom (who is also 27 and also likely a career minor leaguer) has been even less productive than Robinson, currently batting .130 with a whopping 56% (no typo) K rate for an OPS+ of negative 12.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by Brian Walton Brian Walton.
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wisdom played much better in his brief Cardinals stint. He did a lot of little things like rn the bases well, and field well. Had 4 homers. I’ve haven’t seen anything redeemable about Robinson to warrant a 40 man spot.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years