StL 2019 Game 24 thread: Wed 4/24 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 24 thread: Wed 4/24 vs. Brewers

This topic contains 59 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 1 month, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Not seeing the logic of letting an overworked Brebbia go 30 pitches with a 4 run lead.”

Just a grey area decision to me, CC.

Brebbia is on pace (before today) for 75 games and 90 innings, which are indeed a lot — but not crazy outlandish (like with Gant for example).

And Brebbia had yesterday off, and won’t pitch tomorrow of course. But the other important thing, his recent pitch counts have been exceptionally modest. He only threw 11 pitches on Monday, and just 12 on Sunday, and only 3 on the Friday before that. So, fairly fresh for someone who’s been used a lot.

If that makes any sense. 🙂

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

That four-run lead may not be enough. Miller loads them up and walks in a run. That brings in Yelich vs. Hicks with a chance to put the Brewers ahead.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Hicks whiffs Yelich and the brooms are out!! 5-2 the final!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Phew!!

shakenbake McBride
    Participant

Free

The mighty Yelich bites the dust…nice sweep.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yelich with my favorite splits of the young season.

Home: 13 HR, 29 RBI
    Road: 0 HR, 2 RBI

Okay, it’s the second split that’s my favorite of the young season.

Well done, Redbirds, on the sweep!

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

I was worried about this bullpen after the first couple of games in Milwaukee when they gave up five runs late in two games to surrender Card leads on late home runs. It has become the strength of the team recently. Gant, Brebbia, and Hicks are solid, as solid as I can remember. Leone and Miller have had moments.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Before the series I said I’d be happy with a sweep with Yelich going 0-14 with 7 Ks. I guess the sweep with Yelich going 0-7 with 4 Ks will have to do!!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team would be sunk without Gant and Brebbia. We just have to hope they can keep up with the extreme workload.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

5-5 after 10 with the Brewers, wth 2 series at their place (including a 4 game series) and 1 at ours

I will take that

Team is playing well…even if a few players are not… i will take that

Wainwright is still a beast folks, even if we only see it 50% of the time…i will take that

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

5-5 vs Brewers
    2-0 vs Pirates
    4-0 vs Dodgers

not bad

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

I couldn’t watch due to work, but will enjoy a quick look at the good parts on DVR. Good to see Brebbia continue his good work. I thought he was ready to take on a bigger role and thought he even deserved more trust last year. But as other have noted, I hope the new trust doesn’t get him worn out. Good relievers just seem to get ridden hard, and that’s not just a Cardinal thing.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good call, stlcard25! Well, we accomplished what the Crew could not in their two home attempts….a sweep. And what’s with sitting Yelich in this all important game vs their arch enemy divisional rivals??? According to the Brewer radio tandem, he’s not physically nicked up in any way. Plus, Milwaukee has Thursday off too. If Yelich was a 35 year old catcher then yes, I could see it. I’d like to see Shildt try to talk Yadi into taking two consecutive days off…..not going to happen. And Hicks. Until “The Flamethrower” loses a few mph off that fastball or gains a few more years of experience , I don’t ever want to see him throw two offspeed pitches to the same batter, let alone in back-to-back pitches like he did in the 9th last night to Shaw.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Good win again today in the rain. Very nice sweep.

Hicks has made it too interesting in the ninth two games in a row. Even though he’s throwing 100+ mph, he doesn’t look ready as a closer. Call me old school, but if you’re ahead in the top or bottom of the ninth, you’ve got to make the other team beat you if they’re going to win, which means throwing strikes with high heat with an occasional slider, cutter or split finger. You can not walk batters in the ninth and expect to be a successful closer. Hicks isn’t quite there yet and it will catch up to him soon if he’s not careful.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Hicks didn’t walk anyone today. He came in after Miller had given up a hit, hit a batter, and walked two.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

ESPN schedule

We play ten games in Milwaukee and 9 in St Louis?

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Hicks didn’t walk anyone today. He came in after Miller had given up a hit, hit a batter, and walked two.

True, Hicks actually did well by striking out Yelich to end it. I was having flashbacks from last night.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

It’s getting to where I dread ‘Miller Time.’

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s getting to where I dread ‘Miller Time.’

Would Minuteman3 rather have a Bud? Wonder how Norris is doing? To be honest, I don’t even know what team he’s presently with. Miller finally resembled the old Miller the other night…..and then yesterday he reverts right back to the awfulness that he’s put on display since joining our fair club. What is it about seasoned relievers who once putting on a Cards uni, it brings out the absolute terribleness in them?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

And then there’s Rosenthal. Thankfully Mo passed on his reincarnation.
    Speaking of Bud brings back fond memories:

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

RememberDiz said:

Leone and Miller have had moments.

Lumping these two together is unfair to Leone, IMO. While Hicks, Gant and Brebbia are getting deserved attention and Miller is drawing it for the wrong reason, Leone is the new underrated pen member.

I am struggling to see any bad in this.

11 innings
    1.64 ERA
    0.82 WHIP
    .111 batting average against
    7 of 11 retired first batter faced
    0 of 1 inherited runners scored
    4 hits
    5 walks
    12 strikeouts
    bWAR 0.3

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Miller’s velocity has continued to erode, forcing him to nibble more and raising his walk rate. While we’d all like to see the top 5 reliever that he once was, I’d see something more like Toronto Brett Cecil as the ceiling for Miller even if he can get right. Scary as that may sound, Cecil was pretty good there for the Jay’s so if Miller can be that effective, I’d be happy. He’s still a good ways off from there, however.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Will Jedi Jed be on the block soon? 1 hit as a starter (one game) and 0-9 as a PH. I think Munoz might be able to back up Carp as well as Jed – none are bastions of great defense. Have to laugh at Danny Mac comments on Jed every time he comes to bat: “If he sees a fast ball it will be hit hard.” uh huh chuckling.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wow. We have some tough graders around here.

Jedd has been in the majors over six years and what you focus on is his whopping 12 at-bats this season? After he was injured this spring…

If Carpenter or Goldschimdt gets hurt, I predict you would be sorry very quickly if you had unloaded Gyorko on a whim. IMO, he is precisely the kind of veteran guy you want as depth on a championship-caliber club.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I like Jedd and had thought before now that he was relatively immune to being a bench guy. Hopefully he will lock in soon. Wong is great, but as we settle into the season I do hope to see Jedd spot starting for all the infielders from time to time. Not too much, mind you, but a couple of starts a week or three every two, especially in weeks without off days, would be sufficient. I do think his elite power may be gone with the slimming down last year as it’d be easier to play the guy more if he had legit 20+ HR type bench potential. Still, he is a good asset to have unless someone knocks your socks off in a trade.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 60 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years