StL 2019 Game 23 thread: Tue 4/23 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 23 thread: Tue 4/23 vs. Brewers

This topic contains 56 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 3 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

WOW did Jen Langosh even attend that game? Just a lame story all about Ponce as if he were a hero and winner of the game. No mention at all of the key plays. I see why MLB has taken away the comment boards.

Very enjoyable game made more so by the Cards ability to come from behind and even add on. Has anybody figured out what happened on that Molina faux pas at 3B? So today it’s “Which Waino will show up.” Looks to be cool and rainy so that does not bode well but the BP has not been overworked. Probably see Wieters start today as well as Bader. Jose hits the bench again….grrrr.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I had yet to see a replay not overturn an obvious incorrect call on the field, until LAST NIGHT. What were the replay officials seeing? I think they must have imbibed well beyond 4/20. Fowler’s line drive clearly drew chalk. How could that NOT be fair ball? Luckily it did not cost us the game.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The only possible explanation I can come up with is not a very good one. The call was made by the crew chief and maybe the replay boys did not want to make him look bad by overturning him. I am not saying this is what actually happened, but I honestly cannot come up with a good answer for such an obvious mistake. There are some big egos in the umpires union, a group that feels they should have to answer to no one, which is hardly new news. So we will almost certainly never know for sure what really happened.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

It would be a nice gesture if the New York umpire guys could just come out and admit a mistake was made and that it did not affect the eventual outcome of the game. You don’t see dust fly up on balls hitting on solid grass. Instead of hurting their reputation it may help it to admit a mistake. But I don’t foresee that happening.

Afterall their reputation could need a little help after the Kulpa/Astros fiasco.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar Minuteman3.
    mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They could say that the field was wet and that they couldn’t tell if it was chalk or water that was spraying up from where the ball hit.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mud, that illustrates another limitation of the replay process – no explanation is given. The umpires are apparently above that.

Don’t get me wrong. They have a tough job with every mistake magnified. On the other hand, not being accountable while being arrogant about it is going to catch up with them eventually.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Insert punch lines here…

Viewing 7 posts - 51 through 57 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years