StL 2019 Game 18 thread: Wed 4/17 at Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 18 thread: Wed 4/17 at Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:40 p.m. RHP Michael Wacha (0-0, 5.28) vs. RHP Corbin Burnes (0-1, 10.05) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Let’s move on to today’s game and avoid the sweep.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Despite all the fretting about Ozuna and Fowler (and I have done a lot of that myself) it doesn’t take Captain Obvious to figure out that our starting rotation is killing us right now. The ERA’s are:

Waino- 3.94
    Flaherty- 5.00
    Wacha- 5.28
    Mikolas- 6.00
    Hudson- 6.08

That is an absolute dumpster fire. I don’t think anyone could have predicted that big of a mess. I guess Waino is the ace again. Who would have thunk it?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I felt before the season that the rotation was a potential liability, and it sure seems like that is the case. Of course, there is still time to turn it around as I doubt they will be this bad all year. Still, either Martinez has to return to starting or they will need to trade for a Bumgarner or other starting pitcher this summer if they are still in contention.

The team has hit well enough to play tough against a hard schedule so far. Hopefully the pitching can round into better form when the schedule loosens up.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

card25, I was right there with you regarding the rotation but I thought the problems will rear up in the summer months.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will Thomas make it to this game?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will Thomas make it to this game?

Probably just in time to take his first MLB at bat against Josh Hader late in the game. Shildt happens.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

card25, I was right there with you regarding the rotation but I thought the problems will rear up in the summer months

Right. The hope I had was that Flaherty would be able to take a step forward in regard to keeping the ball in the yard (doesn’t seem possible), Wacha would pitch like early 2018 Wacha (walk wise, yes, but not results), and that Mikolas could be a low 3s ERA guy who walked almost no one, similar to last year but with some regression (nuh uh). Even if Carlos can come back and be the guy he was in 2016-17, that still only makes this an average group. It’s not good.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager mentioned the stupidity of our schedule in yeserday’s game thread and I totally agree. It has been brutal for the Cardinals. I’m not sure what algorithm spit out this schedule but the software needs a reboot.

I never thought I would dislike any team as much as the Cubs but the Brewers are gaining steam in that regard.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

gscottar – my sentiments on the schedule reprinted from my post on yesterdays game:

The schedule this year, not only for the Cardinals, is a farce if you study it. Playing the division champion 10 times in the first month of the season is ridiculous. Several two game series against division opponents doesn’t make sense either. The Pirates played the Tigers this series and unless they consider them arch rivals (like us and KC) I wonder why – the NLC is supposed to be playing the ALW this season for interleague games. Twenty games in June without a day off but two days off the next week because of a two game schedule with Oakland. Just a few of many examples of how the scheduling can kill a team. The Red Sox played 10 games on the road before getting a home opener. Weather may have an effect but they sure had a lot of losses in those 10 games. Anybody that believes the MLB schedule is made randomly by a computer may want to check and see if it was a Chinese hacked computer.

And now back to baseball.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The beleaguered players come through again. Ozuna homers for the fourth straight game and Fowler (single) scores on Wieters’ single to put the Cards up 2-0 in the second inning.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wong is 2-for-2 as the Cards go up 4-0 in the third. Brewers starter Corbin Burnes has already thrown almost 60 pitches.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carpenter goes deep to increase the lead to 5-0 in the fourth. That sent the Brewers into their pen.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Wacha with a high and inside pitch on Yelich to brush him off the plate and finishes him with the strikeout. That was a beautiful sequence of pitches by Wacha there.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On the schedule imbalance, Danny Mac mentioned the Cards have spent more nights this season in their hotel in Milwaukee than they have in their own beds in St. Louis.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Forget Yelich. Maybe we shouldn’t pitch to their pitchers

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Wacha loses concentration against the Brewers relief pitcher Wilkerson and gets hammered for a 2-run bomb.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Geez, Brewers pitchers are killing us this year…at the plate.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ozuna is raking now for sure, I will give him that. Let’s hope he can keep it up.

As for Fowler, he has his avg. up to 269. That is nice but his slugging is .327, which means he is basically doing his Delvin Perez impersonation by spraying a few singles around the yard. That isn’t what you pay someone $16.5M to do, but baby steps right?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Miller really struggled against RH hitters.

GACard
    Participant

Free

.269 with an OBP over .360 is at this point is a lot better than expected. Enough to keep putting him out there (even though there isn’t really a choice)

Hopefully Miller can work around that leadoff double

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Man, this is getting old.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree with GACard. If Fowler could sustain a .361 OBP, that should be considered a positive (if he plays adequate defense). Measuring Fowler on slugging percentage is not recognizing his role and strengths, however.

P.S. Delvin Perez’ career OBP is .322 in the low minors. On the other hand, Fowler’s is .360 in 12 MLB seasons, so the latter is capable of this kind of result.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards win 6-3.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.