StL 2019 Game 144 thread: Tue 9/10 at Rockies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 144 thread: Tue 9/10 at Rockies

This topic contains 45 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Wooster 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After Monday’s day off in Denver

7:40 p.m. RHP Michael Wacha (6-6, 4.98) vs. RHP Chi Chi González (0-6, 7.29) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Going to be a tough three game series. I’d almost take one of these three and be happy.

The Cubs fly out to San Diego for their last west coast trip. This one a four game series. I’d take a split and be happy.

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs win the opener of their four game series in San Diego 10-2. Their new SS, just called up from AA, got two hits and was good in the field. Name is Nico Hoerner. Any relation to our Joe Hoerner? I hope he doesn’t get hot and becomes a sparkplug for them. San Diego looked listless to me.

Lead down to 4 games now. We MUST win 2 of 3 in Colorado because after what I saw last night the Cubs might sweep the Padres.

r/Esteemed Rat

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

http://www.baseballessential.com/news/2019/09/09/the-st-louis-cardinals-are-the-most-dangerous-team-in-the-national-league-playoff-race/

Its the second piece down.

I read this story for obvious reasons…. we need “clear-cut” optimism.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Very interesting article. We have the lowest team BA of any contender, score the fewest runs but defense and pitching is doing it.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Name is Nico Hoerner. Any relation to our Joe Hoerner?

Second cousins, Rat…… and grandson to our Bob Hoerner. Now there was a bust! When we acquired Bob Hoerner, I was as giddy as an 8 year old schoolgirl playing hopscotch. Unfortunately, that enthusiasm dicipated as drastically as a Gaylord “The Commodore” Perry spitter.

Tonight’s game troubles me. Chi Chi “Rodriguez” Gonzalez appears to be on the precipice of getting his game together. For those of you that are able, watch the tape of Chi Chi’s last 3 innings of labor and then compare it to any of his previous work. The difference in his mechanics is quite eye opening. It pains me to great length in calling this game 7-4 Bad Guys. Go Birds!

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs,
    You need glasses. Our Bob was spelled HORNER and not HOERNER. But its close enough. Maybe its Joe’s grandson like you say..:)

And I must concur with your 7-4 prognostication, unfortunately.

And what to do tonight? Reds are in Seattle and the Cubs are in San Diego. Plus our game wont be over till late. So I guess I’ll see what the scores of the games are and tune into the closest one.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sometimes I think you’re a closet Reds fan, Rat. Maybe it’s time to come out of the closet…..and into the darkness the way they’ve been playing for the last decade. But seriously Rat….if the Reds are actually your favorite team, none of us besides maybe Euro and Willie, will hold that against you.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry wrong Chi Chi. What an entertainer he was.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There’s been a handful of famous Chi Chi’s over the years. I forgot what his sidekick’s name was, but as a kid, there was this Chi Chi Chong hippie guy in the movies who was a pot smoking fiend. I want to say one of their movies was appropriately named “Up In Smoke”. This Chi Chi we’re facing tonight is going to be big time trouble for us….big time.

Carter Le Grand
    Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Didn’t a guy named Joel Horlen play for us? Pitcher (I think)

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Solid addition, Carter! But I think Joel was a ChiSox hurler, with the likes of Wilbur Wood…..thats about all I can recall from that passive rotation.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Chi Chi simply marvelous thru 3 frames, but fortunately our Birds get to him for a run in the 4th…..2-1 Colorado.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Fowler double
    Wong moves him to second
    Goldy gets him in
    That is winning baseball. Just get a couple of that type of run along with our regular runs.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

good game so far. we haven’t squared too much up but hopefully that will change. wacha is pitching pretty good. hopefully he can keep it up.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Ah yes Pugs, that duo would be Cheech and Chong, famous for stoner comedy. Kinda fits with playing baseball in the mile high city tonight.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cheech & Chong…..that’s right, Euro. That was a dandy dubbie duo.

This Chi Chi kid has been just as advertised this evening…..nearly unhittable since getting his mechanics squared away. Thru 5 complete, Chi Chi has surrendered just 1 scant run on 4 miniscule hits, while whiffing 3 Birds and allowing absolutely no free passes. Time to get to Chi Chi!!! Better yet, time to get Chi Chi out of this game, so we can rough up that Rockie pen.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

And for an encore, Chi Chi sets us down 1-2-3 yet once again in the 6th. But alas! Chi Chi just eclipsed the 100 pitch mark, so I think we can thankfully close the book on Chi Chi’s evening….and the Colorado faithful give Chi Chi a standing O as he walks towards the Rockie dugout…..how about that kid! Ok time to rock these guys, Redbirds!!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cardinals trade for Goldscmidt, lavish a $130M contract on him…… and instantly his BA drops 40 points and his OPS drops 120 points. This isn’t the player he told us we were getting. I’m still glad we have him. But I wish we hadn’t gotten swindled in the process.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully Goldy is just having one of those years, Mudville. But you’re right, you cannot like the way he’s trending.

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Oh for a Bader hit

colhusker
    colhusker
    Participant

Free

Runner at third 1 out and 2 strikeouts ouch

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

So. Both Carp and Bader strand a runner at third with less than two out. That’s twice.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

With Bader it looked like he was overmatched. With JMart it looked liked he wasn’t sure he was batting.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years