StL 2019 Game 141 thread: Fri 9/6 at Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 141 thread: Fri 9/6 at Pirates

This topic contains 118 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Wooster 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)
  • Author
    Jbcardsr1
    Participant

Free

Always go to the pen early it seems.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What exactly did DeJong do this time? I was watching the Cubs/Brewers game and apparently missed it.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After this heartbreaking loss, I may need one of those support (therapy) miniature horses to sit with me on my United flight to Chicago tomorrow morning.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

well dejongs defense hurt us again. but our relief pitchers weren’t sharp either. didn’t help that mikolas didn’t go deeper in the game. too many pitches. but got to get back in this series tomorrow.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

So Mayers came in with his usual full container of gasoline to spray on all the embers still smoldering from the previous inning. He was the perfect follow up.

Good news is cubs are on the wrong side of a 6-1 score in MKE with just six more outs to score.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Same thing as earlier in the week. Had the out at first, but for some reason tried to get the force at second, but way too late.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

2 hits off this guy, not unhitable

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Pugs, give your dog a few hugs tonight. That lowers blood pressure and lift spirits. And think about the Packers currently having the best record in the NFL and the bears having the worst record.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Lost a chance to almost eliminate the Cubs.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, my Packers…..thanks for the reminder Euro!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

That 6 run inning was a disaster. They only got 3 more hits than us, just all at one time. The stuck ball in the glove happens. The pitching in that inning gave it up. A lot if noise lately on how good our pen is. Can’t listen to the hype. Still got to focus and play the games. If they’re tired they need to go to bed early!

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Ah, bad things happened while I was asleep. There are some advantages not to be able to watch night games in real time. I think I’ll skip this one today.
    All this because I ate leftovers last night.

Bob
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Big mistake calling up Mayers instead of Woodford…
    If you have to protect Woodford in Nov. anyway, why not give
    him a shot? With his top 5 in most categories in the PCL this year,
    and top vote getter for All Star game, he has earned it!

Mayers MLB line…
    ERA 7.56
    IP 16
    SO 14
    WHIP 1.92
    Notes: DFA’d on Aug. 4th
    cleared, returned to Memphis…
    About to turn 29.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<DeJomg with the same gaffe as earlier in the week, and again the opponent takes advantage.>

Not the same gaffe. The first was mental. The second was physical – just bobbled the ball but the end effect of both was lost games. However, he has contributed to more wins than losses. Best of all – the Cubs also lost.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Same thing as earlier in the week. Had the out at first, but for some reason tried to get the force at second, but way too late.>

Obviously didn’t watch the replay. He fumbled the ball in his glove and never got a full handle on it. He had plenty of time to get the out but the fumble prevented that. So I guess now we need a new shortstop huh? Guy makes an error and it did cost us in that inning but I would think the pitchers had a bit to do with the loss. Really bites me when the hindsighters here tear into players that have given this team a chance to be in the playoffs and nit-pick every play. As the guy I hate says: “It’s the Big Leagues man.”

Chris Duncan’s passing really had an effect on the booth for the rest of the night. I had received the announcement on my phone just minutes before. It was only the last SF game when McLaughlin said “It’s now 8-0 so we can talk about anything we want.” Hate to tell you Danny but you do that every game from inning 1 to 9.

A new day and a new game – GO CARDS.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Really bites me when the hindsighters here tear into players that have given this team a chance to be in the playoffs and nit-pick every play

Or perhaps the beef is less with the players than the manager who knows that his team has played 9 games in 7 days and that his players could use a rest with the huge September roster? Dejong has appeared in all 9 games (though he didn’t start the first game of the DH Sunday, and he has played in 139 of the Cards’ 141 games thus far) and I don’t believe it’s coincidence that two of his gaffes cost the team two games. Tired players make mistakes and before you say that they’re young and paid a lot to play the game…they’re still not machines. We’ve seen Wong make some wayward throws of late too.

With a scrub on the mound, it was a perfect opportunity to give Edmundo Sosa a start…or move Edman to SS and play Carpenter at 3B for a game. Would it guarantee a win? No, but this game was completely winnable without the Pirates getting 6 gift runs.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I respectively disagree MM – it was the same type of play as against SF. Even bobbling the ball, the right play in that situation is to go to first. You get control of the ball and fling it to first because that is where your momentum is taking you. Most likely he would have made the play going to first, although it would have been close with Marte running. Had it been Yadi or Pujols running, guys who do not run out ground balls, you could have dropped the ball a couple of times and still gotten them. But to go to second you have to stop and awkwardly turn and try to flip the ball, which made things even worse in that situation last night.

DeJong is still a young guy, and talented. He just goofed up a couple of times and did not get away with it, as the pitching took awhile to get that last out.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<DeJong is still a young guy, and talented. He just goofed up a couple of times and did not get away with it, as the pitching took awhile to get that last out. >

Last I heard this is a TEAM game. So the pitching has no blame here? Every error made on the defensive players does not have to result in 6 runs. Just saying.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Still got to blame that one on poor pitching. Right now we are essentially in a race to the Division Title. We are fielding our best chance to win. When we left San Fran behind the other night we saw those substitutions. Those occasional blow outs are gonna happen once in a while in baseball. Its the nature if the game. Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face. Right now every game does count though.

Viewing 19 posts - 101 through 119 (of 119 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years