StL 2019 Game 111 thread: Sun 8/4 at A’s

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 111 thread: Sun 8/4 at A’s

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Well, that was not a fun game to watch.

Participant

Paid - Annual

That hurt. Was hoping to get out of Oakland with a split. Now three games against the Dodgers. Need to play better than they did this weekend.

Participant

Free

Gants supposed relief in the 8th resulting in a gift run, the at bats in the 9th, swinging at balls in the dirt and playing for the walk sum up this trip. Looks like a return to before the all star break. A good team would rise up in a 1 run game and make a game out of it. Two bad ones in a row now. Hmmm-2 runs on 5 hits, gave up 4, one a free pass.Go Cardinals! Better days ahead!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1.5 games back now. Not looking good unless the offense can really hit its stride fast.

ZTRZTR
    Participant

Free

Uh oh.

They really need to take 2 of 3 from the Dodgers……

Well, We’ll see. As long as they don’t fall further out than 3-4 games there’s still a legitimate chance.

Sure, we’ll always have 2011 but how often will something like that happen?

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Shildt loves playing infielders in the outfield. I wonder when he’ll switch it up with outfielders playing in the infield?

Participant

Free

I was spot on predicting 5 runs total for the 2 games after our 8 run outburst Thursday. This is a mediocre offense that has never gotten any of it’s big 3 hitters on track at the same time all season. Imagine if they had a good run from Ozuna, Carpenter or Goldschmidt.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Well, we certainly played better w/o Carp and Ozuna. Yes, the As have a really good pitching staff, but our guys looked totally lost at the plate. Why is it that I (and “we”, I’m sure) know what pitch is coming next, but our batters can’t figure that out? A professional hitter should not be swinging at pitches that bounce, or are several inches off the plate. I wonder if our guys were partying at Fisherman’s Wharf the last couple of nights? Does the team have a rule on that?

Participant

Paid - Annual

What’s going to happen if Carpenter still can’t hit?

Participant

Free

I think what ends up happening is that Edman or Munoz end up in a time share with him. If it’s mid September and we end up falling off a cliff then my guess is they’ll safely tuck him away and work on his game in the offseason.

Right now playing both he and Ozuna in the lineup is a bit foolish but you got to get one of the other back in gear. Right now Carpenter himself is killing this teams playoff-division chances.

Participant

Free

stlCard:

I hope you’re right but unfortunately, I think there is a good chance that the offense HAS already hit its stride.

Participant

Free

I thought we were over playing people in potions they shouldn’t be playing.. when we got rid of the last manager…but i guess even this one is dumb enough to put Edman in the OF when he hasn’t played there since he was 12 or 13…unreal how stupid this org is getting

Participant

Free

Onyx, while it may not be much of a difference, Edman played a couple of games in the OF at Memphis before he was ever called up to St. Louis for the first time. I don’t think he is currently 12 or 13.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forsch, it still seems kind of silly to play an infielder in the outfield when you’ve got an actual outfielder on your roster. Not to mention, Edman is a 78 wRC+ hitter right now, so it’s not like his bat screams “must play.” Lane Thomas would have been fine, no doubt.

Participant

Free

Sorry Forsch i was reading a comment Edman made when he was asked the last time he played Of….either way it is beyond stupid of the manager to do that when Lane THomas would have been a TON better option….it isn’t like Edman hitting great right now

Participant

Free

I agree that Thomas should have played over Edman in the OF. I just don’t like ranting misinformation.

Participant

Free

Well Edman himself was the one who gave the misinformation

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yes, Thomas should have logged more innings by now. Playing Edman in the OF seems questionable, but he might be athletic enough to pull it off with proper prep work. The unknown factor equals unnecessary risk when there is a better alternative. As for Muñoz, it seems ridiculously stupid to put him in the OF with Thomas riding the pine. The eye test is pretty clear with Muñoz, not to mention the data.

Shildt seems so Matheny-like on this issue. It’s hard to image two professional managers could be this half-baked in their lineup construction. You put your players in positions to succeed. Hmmm, I wonder what the common thread is? I give a nod to the improvements this year, but to see this organization be so flippant at times towards defense the last few years is disappointing.

Viewing 18 posts - 51 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years