StL 2019 Game 111 thread: Sun 8/4 at A’s

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 111 thread: Sun 8/4 at A’s

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 68 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

3:07 p.m. RHP Adam Wainwright (7-7, 4.47) vs. RHP Daniel Mengden (5-2, 4.85) FOX Sports Midwest // KMOX

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

It’s a road game for Waino. Wish him luck and a lot of back up bats.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Need a bounce back game today if they have it in them.

Time for the Cubs to lose too.

If the Cards can get out of LA no more than 1 1/2 out that’ll keep them in contact.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Another mass shooting. This one in Dayton, OH.

WTH is this country coming to???

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Ratsbuddy wrote:

<WTH is this country coming to???>

Last I checked there were over 300 million guns in this country and that is probably a low number. BUT – take away the guns and there are plenty alternatives, some being used today, such as cars, trucks, busses, airplanes, poison, etc. For me the key is to identify the nut jobs and get them out of circulation but that too is no easy task. New Zealand cracked down on guns following a similar event but that was religion oriented. Their crackdown assures their citizens that only the criminals will have guns.

In summary, there is no solution but taking mental illness serious is step one.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Mayers DFA. Carp up, Ravelo down, Helsley up.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just to clarify here……when a player is DFA’d that is basically just simply cutting him loose for good, correct?

What EXACTLY does DFA mean?

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Designated For Assignment, Esteemed Rat.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just to clarify here……when a player is DFA’d that is basically just simply cutting him loose for good, correct?

What EXACTLY does DFA mean?

Not exactly. He could end up with another team or possibly in the minors with St Louis.

https://m.mlb.com/glossary/transactions/designate-for-assignment

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The first action resulting from a DFA is the person is moved off the 40-man roster. Beyond that it varies. Within a week, the player can be traded or put on waivers. If he clears waivers, then in some cases he can be outrighted to the minors (but stays off 40-man) and in other cases can simply be released into free agent status.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Alright, I’m hoping someone can help me out here. I was under the impression that an injured MLB player cannot be DFA’d. However, Kevin Wheeler of 101ESPN is telling me that a player can be DFA’d as long as they are not on the 60-Day IL. Is that correct? What’s the actual rule that stipulates this? I’d appreciate any help in this manner.

On another note, Edman is starting in RF today. There is literally an outfielder (Lane Thomas) on the freaking roster and Shildt continues to start Yairo Munoz. The organization continues to baffle me in how they handle players. For the past 2 years they’ve kept insinuating there was an outfield logjam, then refuse to trade any of the access outfield depth to improve the pitching or other areas in need, but then they keep starting an infielder in the outfield instead an actual outfielder.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

After watching Mayers last night, this is exactly what I thought should happen. After all, how many chances is a player supposed to get to prove himself?! He threw two unhittalbe curveballs for strikes in the eighth. (I guess pitches like that are why they put up with him for so long.) But then he threw seven balls in a row for two BB’s. He might show up in Memphis. But IMO, they should just let him go to another organization, and hopefully, that other organization can bring him to his full potential. Enough is enough for the Cardinals, though.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Looks like Wainos gettin a chance to win today going up against a buding mlb pitcher. Mengden had been back and forth to AAA and has very similar numbers. Pretty low whip though. Will take some clutch hits to take this one.We get an extra batter with DH and it just amazes me we don’t get more scoring. Maybe todays the day! Go Cardinals!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pay no attention to that .388 OPS in the 9-game AA / AAA rehab stint. Carp is leading off tonight.

Or perhaps Carp’s 1.171 OPS over the last two rehab games is all it takes to earn the lead off spot with this offense.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I feel bad for Mayers. He was pretty good for us last year but this year it has just been one problem after another. I have more faith in him than I do Leone that is for sure. The fact that he is out of options meant this was the most logical outcome. I would like to see him clear waivers and accept an assignment to Memphis but we shall see.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Your lineup, for those who haven’t seen yet.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m steamed!
    The Vegas over/under on Carpenter hits today is 0.
    I never thought I would see the day when I liked Dexter 10 times as much as I do Capenter. But that day has arrived. Carpenter can’t hit dick!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At least the Cards have faced this guy before. Thus, they will probably score 7 runs.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Brewers and Cubs trade 1st inning homeruns. Yelich in the top of the 1st and then Heyward on the first pitch in the bottom of the first. Rizzo got thrown out trying to score on a ball that got away from the catcher to end the 1st.

1-1 after one at Wrigley.

r/Esteemed Rat

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Hey Ratsbuddy, was hoping the Brew Crew would help us out with the Cubs a little bit. Surprised to see Carp back so soon but I guess we will see. Hope its not just a distraction away from how the rest of the teams doing.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Marp with a single to lead things off in his return.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Holy cow! Marp gets a hit and Waino starts with a three-pitch K. This could be a good sign.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, Marp must really be back. He gets rung up on an at bat where two of the pitches were clearly balls called strikes.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards are making Roark work but can they break through?

Goldy crushes one just barely foul for the 25th time this year it seems. He keeps battling. We could really use a base hit here. He walks on pitch 14 to load em up for Ozuna.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Roark threw a fat slider on pitch one to Ozuna. He let it go by. Marcell needs to keep up his RBI penchant from earlier in the year. Now it’s 1-2. Oakland games kind of remind you of overseas soccer games with the drums and horns. Not sure what that’s all about. Roark now over 70 pitches but Ozuna goes fishing. He really needed to be attacking that first pitch.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 68 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.