StL 2019 Game 100 thread: Mon 7/22 at Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum StL 2019 Game 100 thread: Mon 7/22 at Pirates

This topic contains 77 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by Avatar BrockLou 3 weeks, 6 days ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 78 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

Thank god Carlos goes to any other base but 3rd he airmails it and we lose 7-6.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

This could be the best defensive play Jose Martinez has ever made. Which is why naturally it’s under review. lmao!

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Geez, cardiac Cards strike again. Bad process, good results = a bit of luck, but hopefully the bench and pen get managed a little better the next time.

The Cards are your 6-5 winners.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How can Shreve be credited with a “W”??? That’s just redunkalus. Give it to Webb ……anyway, we escape with the win.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Whew, Cards win in the most improbable way!

Martinez appeared to come unglued for a few pitches. He seems to have problems solving his way around the bumps when they pop up. Then it just carried over and DeJong screwed the pooch.

Ultimately, Shildt making the idiot tactical decision to allow Shreve to go, not one, but two batters to start the inning, was the problem. If Martinez had started the inning, maybe he would’ve been a more mentally where he needed to be to get the job done the right way.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

After the Goldfinger grand slam Saladino from the Brewers hits a grand slam off of Iglesias and the Brewers take a 5-4 lead on the Reds.

Cubs up 3-2 in the 5th at San Francisco.

r/Esteemed Rat

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Amazind. we win again on a grand slam and barely enough pitching. Shreve gets the win? Really?

Martinez has the same number of assists as errors, two. Last assist was against the Cubs.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Martinez appeared to come unglued for a few pitches. He seems to have problems solving his way around the bumps when they pop up. Then it just carried over and DeJong screwed the pooch.

Since it was blacked out I wasn’t able to watch, but I was following on Gameday and then radio. He appeared to do that thing he did when he started where he threw slowly at the start of his outings, flying open to his finish at 93ish which never seemed to work for him. Naturally, his control was off and he got hit. When he got to the last two hitters he was hitting 97-98 and seemed to know where it was going. Not sure if he just found his delivery or if it was what I suspected but I’m glad he buckled down.

Now let’s build on this momentum and score some runs earlier tomorrow, shall we??

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I think we’ve learned at least one thing here tonight….. Carlos Martinez is not closer material. He has the arm for the job, but not the head. Gallegos has more than earned the opportunity.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

the starters are killing the bullpen b/c they haven’t made it past the 4th inning the last 2 games

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And now Eugene Sewers hits a 2 run dinger with two outs in the top of the 9th and the Reds are back on top 6-5. Can the Brewers answer???

This has been a weird, weird Monday night. What lies ahead in the Cubs/Giants game???

r/Esteemed Rat

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Suarez hit his second HR in the game, a two-run shot with two out in the top of the ninth. Now, 6-5 Reds.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

I don’t know stlcard, CMart just loses focus too often. Sometimes it seems like he needs Yadi to go out to the mound, get in his face, and like a father tell him to quit pouting around and feeling sorry for himself and get back to work.

If there’s even remotely any truth to that, you don’t need to throw unnecessary surprises at him. Let him start the inning for goodness’ sake so he’s not pulled into a hot fire in a second’s notice that he didn’t have time to mentally prep for.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Reds win 6-5. They are the Brewers are 7-7.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

Giants with a 3-spot in the bottom of the 8th to take a 5-4 lead over the cubs.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Pretty impressive 8th.

If I’m the Giants GM I’m torn on being a seller. The OF has produced better as the season has progressed after the merry go round of outfielders called up and down and FA-DFA tryouts earlier in the year and this is Bochy’s last season.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the reminder, folks. Cubs still down batting in the ninth.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In his slight defense, Martinez is being heavily used, a role he is not all that familiar with. Here are his appearances since the break. Seven of the last 10 days.

July 13
    July 14
    July 16
    July 17
    July 19
    July 21
    July 22

I counted 121 in-game pitches, not including all the many extra times warming up.

EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

cubs lose. Cards 1.5 back (one in the loss column).

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Giants have won 16 of last 19, not sure how they can be sellers unless they fall off this last week

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Giants’ improvement may make many other teams unhappy. More buyers than sellers, it seems, making prices high.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

We caught the perfect storm late last night. Reds win 6-5 with a two-run shot by Suarez in the top of the ninth, bringing their season series with Milwaukee to 7-7.. The Giants fell behind further with a walk, SB, and two-strike double by the Cubs in the top of the eighth, only to use a single and three doubles to score three in the bottom of the eighth to win 5-4. We get a grand slam by Goldy who had done nothing all night.

It worked out where we now are in the Wild Card, a half game over Milwaukee and the Phillies, both of whom have more road than home games left. Chicago has a lead on us, but they have played 54 at home to 46 in the road. We have played more on the road. Gives us a little advantage in making up the ground.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I have been away for a while and have not yet read through this thread but am I wrong in thinking that Carlos Martinez is a reincarnation of Trevor Rosenthal? He has blown one save and came razor thin close to blowing at least three or four others. The guy just manages to look totally out of it when he is on the mound. He says the heat got him one time and that may be but it is getting to be a happy day for the opposition when he checks in. Maybe a real closer at trade time would be in order.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<This could be the best defensive play Jose Martinez has ever made. Which is why naturally it’s under review. lmao!>

If you recall, earlier this season he threw out a runner at 3B from RF and received heaps of praise. A few games back he attempted the same feat without success and the booth experts roundly condemned him repeatedly (as they are prone to do). JMart is one of my favorites but he, like many others, is having a dip in production but I like the fact that Shildt still plays him and gets rewarded with singles, outs that move the baserunners and when desperately needed 3 run bombs. He will never be an OF all-star but he matches up with Matt Holliday quite well.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Crazy game last night.Nice to see Goldschmidt get his groove back. Martinez shine on his defense and Carlos hang in there to win it! 8 hits ain’t bad almost everybody got one. The accumulation of all those things, a little by everybody and we get the win! Sound familiar? Just barely but we made it. Go Cardinals!

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 78 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years