Skip Schumaker

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Skip Schumaker

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…If you looked at both resumes, who would you hire as field manager of your ballclub?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Marlins job would be low risk. If they lose, nobody blames him because they always stink and they always lose. If they win more than usual, he’s a rock star, and can get hired on by a real team.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Bling…Well, then nobody will blame him for losing before he gets fired. Heck, nobody blamed Schildt for WINNING before he got fired…Haha!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar…If you looked at both resumes, who would you hire as field manager of your ballclub?

I would view it as a tossup. I would probably lean towards Skip due to his exposure to being around Tony but their actual resume is very similar so I don’t see how anyone could definitely state that one is better than the other. I imagine the Cardinals decided to go with Ollie because he was already on staff and more familiar with this group of players. Of course they ended up getting both Ollie and Skip.

On a related note I am still shocked and puzzled about the firing of Shildt. That seemed to come completely out of left field. Someday I hope more details come out as to what actually happened although we all have our ideas.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…Shumaker would be my choice only for the reasons that as well as being a part of a WS Chamionship team, he also doubled to push the only and winning run across HP in the 1st inning of game 5 of the ’11 NLDS…Haha! All jokes aside, he played all 3 OF positions and a middle IF position in the Big Leagues and although he generated about as much power as an AA battery, he wasn’t at all a bad hitter as a .278 career BA will attest to. In addition to that, for 8 seasons of his playing career, his field manager was Tony LaRussa. I’ve heard Shumaker talk and he strikes me as being pretty sharp and intelligent, so I can’t help but to think he was paying attention while LaRussa was his manager.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

gscottar…I forgot to mention that the reason for the firing of Mike Schildt was laid out by both upper management and ownership to be directly related to Plato. That explanation entirely cleared it up for me…

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who is Plato

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Who becomes our bench coach?

Clapp?
    Warner?
    Someone else?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good for Skippy! Will he do the wristband Velcro bit every time he comes out to make a pitching change?

The Marlins job seems like a dead end, but it will give him big league managerial experience. If they play .500 ball or better for a couple of seasons, Skip might be able to parlay the gig into something better. They do have a legitimate ace in Sandy. He will keep them from going on long losing streaks.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

BikeMike…I’m not sure even Alcantra can prevent a long losing streak in Miami. His career W/L record is 34-43 despite a nice 3.10 career ERA and I don’t think the Marlins have a sliver of a chance to play .500 baseball over in the NLE in the forseeable future. I’d like to see Shumaker do good, but I think he made a bad choice with the Marlins. At any rate, he’ll earn more money in ’23 and there’s nothing wrong with that.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great for skip. Mattingly turned the marlins job into a good long experience. If skip has any success, it will be a great set up to build on.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Add the Marlins to the list of 29 teams that will have a better manager than us going into ’23.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Ouch. That’s harsh. Did I just write that?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Not only harsh it is wrong.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Add the Marlins to the list of 29 teams that will have a better manager than us going into ’23.

That is ridiculous.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I mean I respect your opinion but that seems to be an exaggeration. There are probably fans in LA saying the same thing about Dave Roberts even though he has won a world series and is coming off of a 111 win season. Losing in the playoffs erases all of that I guess.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matt Holliday’s name has popped up.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

That’s a shame. I loved Skip in his playing days and liked him on the coaching side. Wish him well. Was hoping it was just a rumor and the last season “went home to coach in SD and came back home to coach in STL” was real and he was staying.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Skip hired Jon Jay as his first base coach.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

JJ sighting!

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Why would anyone think Marmol is the worst manager in baseball? I saw nothing last year that would indicate it.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

GameCard…Me either, but he is the youngest manager in baseball and it really showed when he displayed that he was very suspect in the area of managing during the ebb and flow of a high stakes ballgame during game 1 of the WC series or whatever they call it. Maybe he simply has bad eyes?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years