Skip Schumaker

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Skip Schumaker

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I see where he is the “Associate Manager” with the Padres.

What exactly does that mean?

r/Esteemed Rat

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Fancy name for a 1B coach? 🙂

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It might be something similar to Willie McGee as an assistant coach. Teams sometimes use different titles for similar positional duties.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is their fancy name for bench coach.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Dickerson is the Padres’ bench coach. How does that fit in with Schumaker’s new role?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

(This is corrected)

Skip’s title is new, as he was the bench coach in 2018 and 2019. He was a holdover from the prior staff and Bobby Dickerson was the new hire. As bench coach, Dickerson primarily works with the infielders. Seems very confusing.

(Perhaps Skip had a multi-year contract and/or they wanted to keep him around under the new regime.)

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2019-12-05/padres-coaching-staff-new-manager-tongler-schumaker

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

More than one way to skin a cat. So, if Tingler gets tossed in a game, I wonder who takes over as manager? For many teams it’s the bench coach I believe.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

True, but no other team (to the best of my knowledge) has an “associate manager”. Seems like they wanted to keep Skip around as a holdover, but Tingler still added his own bench coach.

(I corrected my earlier post, as I misread the linked-to article the first time. Skip’s title is in fact new as Euro noted.)

Carter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Good ol’ Skippy the Shoe…always liked the guy (but not as much as Dirty Dan)

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Holy Velcro, Batman!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Wasn’t it Schumaker that was batting when the Rally Squirrel ran across home plate?

858booyah
    Participant

Free

From what I’ve heard on radio. Skip is a very respected and valuable member of the Padre organization. The players like him and someone high in the organization must have thought so as well for him to be retained.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Using an old thread for new news.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good luck to him. If he leaves, who might replace him?

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good luck to him, hopefully he gets it.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Hopefully he gets it in St. Louis. Marmol or Schumaker? Skip every day of the week.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The backup quarterback syndrome? (The guy with the headset and clipboard but no record almost always looks better than the guy with history.)

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Not sure the Marlins job is a good career move. With that organization it seems you are set up to fail. They have some decent players now and then, but there is no financial platform built for sustained success.

It does not seem that the Miami-Dade County area is a strong enough baseball community to build around. That could change of course, but we have 30 years of history showing a few peaks with a lot of valleys.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

The backup quarterback syndrome?

No he’s right. Skip all day. He’s got more experience in every aspect. They made a mistake not hiring Skip as the manager, and I’m not an Oli hater.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good luck to Skip but Miami is a terrible job. The fans down there could care less about the Marlins. They built a new stadium and they are still lucky to draw 10k a night. They will never have the budget to regularly compete against the big spenders in their division. MLB messed up putting teams in Miami and Tampa. Those are spring training cities.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think there was some field management bungling during the WC series, both in game decisions and as to pitchers fitness and/or mechanics issues. Some of it may be Maddox and some may be related to Ollie’s obligation to apply the output of the analytics wonks to preparing players and making decisions. But I do not think flawless post season performance can be expected of a first year manager. Mo has run through some managers post TLR, and only time will tell if he has found what he is looking for.

Skip is a legit manager prospect, and he has to jump on opportunity if it presents. Hopefully he looks as good driving as he does riding shotgun.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

I hope someone close to Skip convinces him that he could do a lot better than accepting a job with the Marlin’s ballclub. I don’t think he’ll realize any success in Miami. I think if he bides his time and proceeds with patience, he’ll end up as the field manager with a ballclub that is committed to winning.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Problem is no organization is committed to the manager. The likes of LaRussa and such are probably done. I mean they want to run off Roberts in LA. Someone has to take the blame for not winning a WS or 1 down year or a slow start to a season and its usually the manager. Is Joe Girardi a bad manager? The team wasn’t good under him and now they are in the NLCS. It’s easy to say we’ll “should have done this” or “shouldn’t have made this move” after the fact and the manager gets blamed for the losses of the players and only after a few years of losing then some blame will be put on the upper management for not providing the players to win.

1toughdominican
    Participant

Free

Cards667…Well, I’d say the Dodgers, Yankees and quite a few other ballclubs have genuinely displayed that they’re far more committed to winning than have the Marlins. I’d also say that in order to seek the favor of and land him as field manager, the Texas Rangers strongly indicated to Bruce Bochy that he would have more than a reasonable amount of input and leverage concerning upper management decisions. So I’m not certain the likes of a guy like LaRussa are over for organizations that have a strong desire for success, and the hiring of Bochy certainly indicates to me that the Rangers are committed to, and intend to win a WS Championship. What I’m driving at, is that if my name were Skip, the Florida Marlins would be near or at the bottom of the list of Big League organizations that I would consider working for. He could do a lot better and I feel he’ll have better options if he doesn’t take the bait on the first opportunity that presents itself.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Skip has a chance to be a good manager but I don’t see how his resume is any better than Marmol’s. Skip has been a first base coach and a bench coach, which Marmol was also.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years