Skip Schumaker

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Skip Schumaker

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I see where he is the “Associate Manager” with the Padres.

What exactly does that mean?

r/Esteemed Rat

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fancy name for a 1B coach? 🙂

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It might be something similar to Willie McGee as an assistant coach. Teams sometimes use different titles for similar positional duties.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It is their fancy name for bench coach.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Dickerson is the Padres’ bench coach. How does that fit in with Schumaker’s new role?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

(This is corrected)

Skip’s title is new, as he was the bench coach in 2018 and 2019. He was a holdover from the prior staff and Bobby Dickerson was the new hire. As bench coach, Dickerson primarily works with the infielders. Seems very confusing.

(Perhaps Skip had a multi-year contract and/or they wanted to keep him around under the new regime.)

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2019-12-05/padres-coaching-staff-new-manager-tongler-schumaker

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

More than one way to skin a cat. So, if Tingler gets tossed in a game, I wonder who takes over as manager? For many teams it’s the bench coach I believe.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

True, but no other team (to the best of my knowledge) has an “associate manager”. Seems like they wanted to keep Skip around as a holdover, but Tingler still added his own bench coach.

(I corrected my earlier post, as I misread the linked-to article the first time. Skip’s title is in fact new as Euro noted.)

Carter Le GrandCarter Le Grand
    Participant

Free

Good ol’ Skippy the Shoe…always liked the guy (but not as much as Dirty Dan)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Holy Velcro, Batman!

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Wasn’t it Schumaker that was batting when the Rally Squirrel ran across home plate?

Participant

Free

From what I’ve heard on radio. Skip is a very respected and valuable member of the Padre organization. The players like him and someone high in the organization must have thought so as well for him to be retained.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years