Simply the worst announcers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Simply the worst announcers

This topic contains 17 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Avatar SoonerinNC 1 month ago.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Siggy1987
    Participant

Free

Lifelong Cardinals fan, but can no longer tolerate Dan McGlaughlin and his nightly talk show. What happened to simply calling balls and strikes and providing some relevant color on the players in the lineup.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I like McGlaughin.

Edmonds is pitiful. He is dull and boring.

Thompson gets on my nerves.

Horton is okay.

Bring Hrabosky back for play by play.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Horton and feel that Edmonds is the most knowledgeable of them all.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edmonds is the only part of the broadcast team I like to listen to. He is by far the most insightful. I think he would be a good coach someday if he ever wants to do it full time.

Danny Mac does get distracted too much and is overly dramatic.

Ricky Horton is the nice guy homer but usually not much insight.

Brad Thompson is like the hyper little kid who acts like he is doing the telecast after downing seven Red Bulls.

McCarver is ok for nostalgia but that is about all.

I kind of like Al Hrabosky in a non-intellectual way. He is straightforward at least.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Danny Mac and Edmonds are both fine.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like all of the TV announcers, although I’d say that Danny Mac used to be a little more fun than he is now. On the radio side, I’ve grown a little tired of Shannon. He’s 80 now, and he doesn’t bring anything new to his work. Whenever he can’t think of anything else to say, he says ‘Willy Mays! He was a great one, wasn’t he? Willy Mays!’

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I generally give announcers a break as it is a tough job, and when you have an audience of several hundred thousand people you will always have detractors. I think of my job and how it would be if even say 10,000 people watched me on a given day, I am sure several hundred would be telling me how I could have been better.

I like what each guy brings to the table – Horton is light-hearted and truly enjoys what he is doing, Danny is similar, and has a good sense of Cardinal tradition and history, Timmy is a legend, Jimmy has that quiet demeanor and real good instigated into the game and players as he works with some of them in the Spring, Thompson is probably my least favorite, but is also enthusiastic and offers good pitching I insights.

Not sure we will ever see a time when most every team had a great announcer – these days of Vinny, Harry, Jack, Chuck Thompson, Bob Prince, Lindsey Nelson, Mel Allen etc.

I will say though that in tuning around the various radio teams on SiriusXM, there are some real good radio teams of mostly young guys calling games.

Bottom line, if the broadcasters bother you on the TV game you can always turn the volume way down, to where they are more-or-less just background sounds.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Edmonds insights, but I really don’t care to listen to any tv announcer. I’d prefer listening to Mike Shannon, as his mispronunciations remind me of my dad. Hrabosky is terrible as an announcer.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of Shannon, in the last few years I haven’t listened to him very much, maybe three or four times a year. Prior to that I listened to him a lot. I liked his energy and enthusiasm if nothing else. Overall, I liked listening to him.

Last night during the first inning, I listened to Shannon for the first time in quite a while. He sounded tired and low energy. Based on that and others’ comments I’ve read, I would say it might be time for him to move on and enjoy other areas of life. He’s earned it, but probably feels the booth is one of the things that keeps him going. I also believe he probably wouldn’t mind spending part of his last living day sitting in that Cardinals’ booth.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m fine with all the announcers. Of course, I spend time during the games reading other things, folding laundry, cleaning and the like so I’m not always paying super close attention to then.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I’m not always paying super close attention to then.

Same here. The way I process most games, they are just background noise. I do like to occasionally listen to the opponent’s broadcasters an inning here and there to get different perspectives. Some teams are definite homers while others are surprisingly close to neutral.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I find most of these guys irritating, but Danny Mac most of all. He gets off on the most inane subjects, often sucking his partner into it, and just goes on and on with it, all the while ignoring the game. I find Edmonds the the best of the bunch, if only he wouldn’t say “right there” about 50 times a broadcast. But most of all it’s all about THE GAME. Tell us about the game, especially since we in TV Land can’t see the whole field and need a little help sometimes.

Siggy1987
    Participant

Free

McGlaughlin and Jim Hayes only. No more guest “has beens” Focus on the day’s game and lightly sprinkle the color with Cardinal lore and personal insight. No one cares if Danny Mac rode on an elevator 20 years ago with Bob Gibson and he gave him 5 seconds of sound byte.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Mike Shannon has never been my preference as a play-by-play guy, but was real good when teamed with Jack Buck and doing primarily the color commentary.

But he did bring enthusiasm and a unique style to the broadcast. The last couple of years though he is noticeably less vibrant, and has difficulty recalling players names. Even among the Cardinal players he will sometimes say something like “….the Cardinal left fielder”.

My sense is Mike has only a couple more years of broadcasting in him before he retires, but as was mentioned he might be one of those guys who needs the booth to keep him active.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Rats wrote:

<I like McGlaughin.

Edmonds is pitiful. He is dull and boring.>

Reverse that for me. McLaughlin has ruined everybody they team him with by constantly turning the game announcing into his own personal view of baseball which I could care less about. Edmonds started off as an excellent analyst (and still is) but he is getting into playing too many of McLaughlin’s games of BSing during the game to the point where if they are telling a story they totally ignore what is happening on the field. BUT Edmonds does give a lot more info on how the game of baseball is played and since he was an outfielder he also has more knowledge than that pile of old pitchers that Fox Sports Midwest has accumulated. I don’t care what McLaughlin thinks about a play. He is not in control of anything that happens on the field and for him to second guess the manager is not what he is hired to do.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

I usually have the volume pretty low doing other things while watching. But when I am forced to pay more attention I hate it.
    I can’t stand Dan. His calls are awful and forced and he loves himself more than anything. He made a comment not to long ago about long nights at a bar. And I could only wish for another OWI so maybe they would get rid of him.
    Edmonds gets a little dry at times. But he’s by far the best to listen to they have. He sounds unsure of himself at times and hopefully that gets better the more he does it.
    Horton is ok fill in, but I don’t want him all time time. I like him more than Thompson, but still only as a fill in.
    Thompson is ok fill in and in the studio. But I don’t want to listen to him often.
    McCarver has no business in the booth. He is the worst color commentator in baseball since Joe Morgan hung it up.
    Al is better than McCarver, but not saying much. He doesn’t need to be in the booth either.

I know Chip Caray takes a lot of heat about being the grandson of Harry and son of Skip and that he’s not that good. But I listened to him today vs. the Nationals and he blows Dan out of the water. Even being a former Cubs announcer he was also bashing the Cubs a little today and claiming St. Louis as home. People across the nation are hard on Joe Buck, and maybe I’m a bit of a homer with him, but I’d take him any day over Dan. He’s not Jack and never will be, but he’s not as bad as the heat he takes. Another guy who takes to much heat former cardinals announcer and another st. Louis raised, Bob Carpenter. Any time I hear him I think how much better he is than Dan.

I think any announcer takes a lot of heat, but it seems anytime I watch another teams broadcast I’d rather have their announcer than Dan.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar Cards667.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I used to really enjoy listening to Bob Carpenter. It was a shame he left.

I worry about Dan. He went from very overweight to extremely underweight. Neither looks very healthy to me. I just hope he finally has his personal life under control. I am not trying to be judgmental. I just worry about people that fluctuate that much and are all over the map with the extremes.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar gscottar.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar gscottar.
    SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Joe Buck was a very talented young announce and it appears that the networks agree.

Bob Carpenter is one of my favorites. Sorry he left.

Vin Scully was the best ever as far as I am concerned.

One of my favorites is Steve Selby at Memphis. Most of the other Cardinal minor league guys are not of the same caliber. The State College guy is pretty good and I would rather listen to ground glass falling than the Palm Beach people.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years