Shake up time?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Shake up time?

This topic contains 61 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by Avatar RememberDiz 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    EuroWolf
    EuroWolf
    Participant

Free

An MLB player is required to run hard/sprint how many times a game? Maybe it’s 1 or 2 times up to 6 or 7 times depending on what position he plays and how many balls he hits into play. What other professional athletes would fear running hard for 90 feet a few times over the course of an athletic event?

This whole arguments reminds me of a couple of the great George Carlin’s comic routines. One is a discussion of reasons why some “sports” shouldn’t be considered a sport. Being a afraid to run hard fits right in with the reasons he mocked. The other routine is his manly/girly comparison of football versus baseball. Strolling to first base versus a mad dash to pay dirt would fit right in with that routine.

If you’re nursing an injury, I get it. Otherwise, run the damn thing out.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by EuroWolf EuroWolf.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not a fan of jogging to first either, but like I said earlier about Hicks, we have much bigger problems to worry about. Let’s get our *&%@ rotation fixed and our *&%@ lineup adjusted then we can worry about running to first.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

everyone would be calling into question Yadi’s age and his injury concerns the minute after he tries to leg out a worthless no chance infield single…

but keep attacking him year after year…call him out on anything trivial to justify your anger that you didnt get your way on when you posted about Kelly replacing him after one somewhat down year…and how YAdi was done…

yet year after year he keeps showing up, winning awards, getting accolades, hitting for average and even some power…being clutch, when you think he cant hit, stopping runners from even trying to run year after year…calling great games and leading the team by playing almost every single day and playing well

Sorry your prognostications were wrong 3 years ago and you feel the necessity to attack him for anything you think is befit such a terrible player…

he only will go down as one of the best catchers of all time, be in the HOF potentially first ballot and get his number retired for the Cardinals and be in their HAll of Fame….oh year and he also won 2 WS’s….

but yeah…attack him for not running out a few ground balls to 2nd base… it sure is worth it….and you can feel free to attack the guy for wanting to play every day once he starts to slip enough to not be top3-5 in the league in defense and hitting

we need to fix the hitters…and sort out the rotation…if from outside or inside something needs to change…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team just seems to be on a perpetual .500 to slightly above. 500 treadmill. We are just good enough to stay in contention but not good enough to get over the hump. How do we get off of that treadmill? As I have mentioned before I think this organization needs a mini rebuild. It is very very difficult to maintain a high level of play consistently when you draft in the middle of the pack.

The owners are afraid that being labeled a “seller” will spook the fans and attendance will plummet? Would that really happen? And if it did, so what? It should only take a year or two for this team to reset itself. If we are really the BFIB wouldn’t that mean our fan base is smart enough to know that this refresh is needed to get back on top instead of spinning our wheels in the middle of the standings?

The best example of this were the brilliant moves Brian Cashman made for the Yankees in 2016. Wait, the Yankees were a seller? The New York Yankees?? Yes, they were and it was the best thing they could have done. And it wasn’t a full blown tear down that lasted for five years. By 2018 they were back to being a 100 game winner.

The Cardinals need to rid themselves of whatever veteran assets they have that might have good value, recoup some higher level younger pieces, perhaps slip enough in the standings to draft higher next year, clear out a little salary space, then quickly build it back up to be a strong contender for several years to come.

This article is a quick reminder on how the Yankees did it.

https://www.mlb.com/news/looking-back-at-yankees-2016-trades-moves-c300969868

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of course the problem we have is that we don’t have as many realistic veteran trade pieces that would be as attractive as the Yankees did.

We aren’t going to trade Yadi, Goldy, Mikolas, or Carp because they have all either recently been given extensions or have icon status. So who is left?

Ozuna: He could be a valuable trade chip. He is a low average rental but has good run production numbers. There is a contender out there that would want him. We would just have to make sure the return would be better than the draft pick we would get by offering him the QO. It would also give us the opportunity to see what O’Neill or Thomas could do on a regular basis.

Fowler: He might be tradeable now since he is having a bit of a renaissance. We would still have to eat some money and overcome the NTC but it might be doable.

Miller: A contender might take him on if he improves over the next month but the return probably wouldn’t be great.

JMart: We didn’t like the trade offers over the winter. Would they be any better now? Might be worth finding out.

CMart: I think a contender would have some interest in him but I would only consider it if he can rebuild some value over the next month or two. We would need a nice return for him.

Wong: I don’t know what his value would be. My guess is we would be better off keeping him.

Wacha and Gyroko probably wouldn’t fetch much of anything. They might be DFA candidates.

Despite having value I see no reason to try trade guys like Hudson, Flaherty, Hicks, Helsley, DeJong, Bader, and Reyes. Those are guys that we can build around. Why trade young guys for other young guys?

birdemic
    Participant

I’ve seen Edman mentioned a handful of times in this thread.
    Starts by position:
    Through April 24: 2B, SS, 2B, 2B, SS, SS, 3B, 3B, 2B, 2B, SS, SS, 2B, 2B, SS, 3B
    Since April 25: 2B, 2B, 2B, 2B, 2B, 2B, 3B, 2B, 2B, 2B, 2B, 2B, SS, 2B, 2B

Through the first 16 starts (April 24), he had started 7 games at 2B, 6 at SS, 3 at 3B.
    Since, he’s started 13 at 2B, 1 at SS, 1 at 3B. Not sure what it means, but it’s worth noting that he’s played a much higher % of his games at 2B.

Also worth noting is that in 31 games (20 at 2B, 7 at SS, 4 at 3B), he is yet to commit an error.

Out of qualifying players, he leads Memphis in AVG and SLG and is second on the team in RBI (25) while hitting out of the leadoff spot. With runners in scoring position, he’s hitting .484/.485/.742, good for a 1.227 OPS. Sure, his walk rate is down a good amount (4.6%), but his power has increased a good amount as well. His ISO is sitting at .207.

K% is in line with where it’s been in AA/AAA (14.5 %) and his wRC+ (107) is sitting almost exactly where it was last year (108).

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Avatar birdemic.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by Avatar birdemic.
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ve seen Edman mentioned a handful of times in this thread.

Great stats rundown, birdemic!! I’ll add one more to the pile:

Home: .286/.352/.388
    Road: .319/.344/.582

The Redbirds play in one of the best pitcher parks in the PCL and the wRC+ you quoted is not park-adjusted. So to quote Bob Reed, “it’s possible that Edman may be even BETTER than he has looked this year.”

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree about Edman. He and Munoz should be our utility guys in St. Louis. They can provide the production Gyroko provides at a fraction of the cost. Let’s let the young guys play.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gee, where have I heard this kind of thoughts before.

From Gordon’s piece in the PD.

Ah, but Mozeliak also wasted millions of dollars on free-agent pitching busts Mike Leake, Brett Cecil, Greg Holland and Luke Gregerson. He traded a stack of useful outfielders for nothing much and he rushed a couple massive contract extensions as the marketplace turned hostile toward veterans.

Because Mozeliak has lost outfielder Jason Heyward to free agency and moved outfielders Stephen Piscotty, Tommy Pham, Randal Grichuk and Oscar Mercado for underwhelming returns, the franchise can’t afford to waste any more outfield assets.

So many of the problems we are having now is due to the FO and that is slowly being exposed.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Thought it was interesting that the announcers of the Card/Braves game on ESPN clearly stated that a team would be wise to try to become like the 85 Cardinals, that nobody is playing like that right now.

Early in the game, they lamented that Goldschmidt struck out rather than getting a runner to third which cost us a run. Then, they watched Bader’s speed result in two runs when we only had one hit. We ran them into mistakes.

I agree. But, is there anyone else who can play 85 baseball, and can we get them? I keep seeing people say that our players aren’t even good trade bait. But, we expect to win?

Viewing 12 posts - 51 through 62 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years