September Roster Expansion

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum September Roster Expansion

This topic contains 47 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 1 year ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Roster Expansion can happen in ten days, although it will probably be later than that since Memphis will be in the playoffs. Who will get called up? Before we can really answer that we will have to see if there are any other trades or acquisitions made before August 31 and see what 40 man roster changes will be made.

Based on where things stand today, and not counting DL additions, I would say the call ups will be:

Wisdom
    Kelly
    A. Garcia
    Ponce
    Webb

Bowman could be a long shot as pen depth but his numbers haven’t been good. Other long shots are Ravelo, Lyons, Mujica, and Williams. In that group only Williams is on the 40 man and his numbers haven’t been great so most likely none of that group will make it up.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Certainly add Brebbia to that list. Plus we will be adding Waino, Wacha, Leone, and Ozuna. So we will actually have 10 call ups in that case.

I can also see Sosa possibly being called up since he would be our best defensive SS replacement.

I expect Bowman will be off the 40 man roster by then.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Seems like you may not know that Bowman is currently injured.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I do know that but I dont know the extent of the injury

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

It doesn’t matter, unless he gets well enough to be activated in the next eight days.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Ross would no longer be needed. He’d might pass through waivers, and then trade him.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bowman was placed on 7 day DL August 14th, so he could be activated and released any time.
    I would really like to see Layne added.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

From the DL, Wainwright-Ozuna-Leone will be back on the 1st. Wacha… not too sure of. From Memphis, considering finishing the reg. season and play-offs, I’d guess lefty Webb will be back on the 1st. More players could be called up as needed and only if needed (Sosa-Gallegos-Greene-Brebbia). Sosa is the best possibility because he is easily replaced at MEM. Edman was outplaying him anyway and is down the road at Springfield, and their season ends on the 3rd.

Keep Ponce stretched out at MEM. in case he’s needed. Kelly-Wisdom-AGarcia at the end of Memphis’ run as they may provide some value off the bench.

Just to repeat…. the Cards are winning right now. Why upset that apple cart with anyone else if they are not needed?

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

Does anyone have a list of prospects that will be exposed and likely to be plucked?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In my original post I acknowledged that there would be DL guys activated. I was more talking about healthy players form Memphis who would be recalled. Brebbia is a good one that was not on my list.

I understand not upsetting the appl ecart but many of the non-DL guys I listed have recently been with the team so they understand the vibe that is currently going on. Waino pitched here in NW Arkansas last night and after the game he acknowledged that he did not want to mess with the current vibe. He said he would do whatever the team wanted.

I guess my bigger question is how the organization will balance allowing Memphis to have enough quality players to compete for the AAA title vs sending players up to St. Louis to help us win the division. If there is one clear advantage we have over the Cubs and Brewers it is the depth of our 40 man roster. I think we should try to exploit that as much as we can.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’ve been keeping track of this sort of thing, NyguisT. This list includes both Rule 5 eligible players and minor league free agents:

Juan Alvarez
    Rayder Ascanio
    Starlin Balbuena
    Landon Beck
    Fabian Blanco
    Genesis Cabrera
    Franyel Casadilla
    Will Changarotty
    Chris Chinea
    Oneiver Diaz
    Bryan Dobzanski
    Blake Drake
    Chris Ellis
    Junior Fernandez
    Edwin Figuera
    Luis Flores
    Elniery Garcia
    Jose Godoy
    Dariel Gomez
    Junior Gonzalez
    Ryan Helsley
    Kevin Herget
    Tommy Layne
    Joshua Lopez
    Andres Luna
    Jose Alex Martinez
    Ryan McCarvel
    Yeison Medina
    Alex Mejia
    Casey Meisner
    Johan Mieses
    Elehuris Montero
    Andrew Morales
    Angel Moreno
    Edward Mujica
    John Nogowski
    David Oca
    Brian O’Keefe
    Dennis Ortega
    Mitchell Osnowitz
    Matt Pearce
    Enrique Perez
    Yefri Perez
    Rangel Ravelo
    Victor Roache
    Ramon Santos
    Max Schrock
    Jean Selmo
    Lane Thomas
    Wilfredo Tovar
    Ramon Urias
    Ronnie Williams
    Alexis Wilson
    Wadye Ynfante
    Roel Ramirez

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Montero is not on that list. Brian has confirmed as much several times.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Back to the original intent of this thread. Which is more important, the pennant race in Memphis or the pennant race in St. Louis?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Of course, St. Louis is more important, but which players to call up and when is not a simple binary decision. As is usual, the additions will likely be staged over September to not kill Memphis’ playoff chances while allowing St. Louis to add a few reserves in spots of perceived need.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Montero is not on that list. Brian has confirmed as much several times.

Well pardon my screw up. I don’t visit the website as much nowadays so I obviously missed Brian’s post about Montero. WOuld you, or someone else care to enlighten me on how Montero isn’t Rule 5 eligible this year considering he signed in 2014.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry, I didn’t mean to come off as rude. You did a great job in tabulating that list! I was trying to word it in a less confrontational way but I didn’t have time at that exact moment to look up the post from Brian.

Here is his post:

I believe 2014 does not count toward the five years. Montero’s official signing date is August 29, 2014. I suspect that date was not a coincidence as the 2014 DSL season ended on August 23. Had he been signed a week earlier, the Cards would have forfeited a year of control for zero benefit. Of course, they know the rules better than us.

Here is the applicable verbiage.

If a player signs his first contract after the conclusion of the season of the MLB or minor league club to which he is first assigned (even if he signs prior to the Rule 5 Draft), the next season is considered to be the player’s “first qualified season” for Rule 5 eligibility purposes.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Great list but I believe it is missing Lyons

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Great list but I believe it is missing Lyons

Damnit. I thought I added him after he was DFA’d. Ugh Its one thing to be wrong about Montero (which I appreciate stlcards25 for reposting Brian’s comments) but entirely different to leave off Lyons. I’m gonna take a nap.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Of course, St. Louis is more important, but which players to call up and when is not a simple binary decision. As is usual, the additions will likely be staged over September to not kill Memphis’ playoff chances while allowing St. Louis to add a few reserves in spots of perceived need.

Agreed. It will be fascinating how the organization handles this. Our pitching depth can really smother teams and I hope we utilize every guy we can get. The Cubs don’t have that capability although they have plenty of depth with positional players.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

BHC, thanks for the quick kickback. I see 9 players that the Cards would surely miss.

Is there a limit on how many players one team can lose in the rule-5 draft MLB and MiLB combined? I forget.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there any way the rule 5 discussion could be moved to a different thread as it has little to do with our september call up strategy?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Most years there actually is some relation of rule 5 and call ups since you might call up a guy who has to be protected anyway or not call one that doesnt need to be protected. This year though it doesnt matter much since the 40 man roster is so crowded.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t think there is a limit on how many players an organization can lose. Yankees lost 4 guys in the MLB phase of the Rule 5 last December.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The AAA Championship game will be on September 18. If Memphis made it that far, which they did last year, would the Cardinals delay the promotion of key players considering the St. Louis team is in a furious run to the playoffs?

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

In recent years the organization has waited to promote the Memphis players because of the AAA play-offs. Unless there is injuries they must feel that the AAAers’ contributions can wait.

The most important thing for them to consider is that the Cards are now very much in the play-off hunt and a division title is not out of the question now. The big team comes first as always.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years