Molina Extension

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Molina Extension

This topic contains 76 replies, has 19 voices, and was last updated by bicyclemike bicyclemike 11 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 77 total)
  • Author
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I would change “most people” to “most Cardinal fans”. Certainly as it relates to going forward.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I haven’t read the entire thread but I do wonder whether or not, from 2018 and forward, we would be better off with Kelly as the everyday catcher instead of Molina. Its obvious to me Molina’s defensive skills are starting to drop off a little bit and with him hitting into a TON of doubleplays over the course of a season (over 20 so far this year), would we be better off with Kelly starting in 2018?

Yes, I know Molina is the proverbial warm body and he’s not going anywhere unless he really tanks.

r/Rat

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t know what stats you’re looking at Rats. According to baseball-reference he’s only grounded into 14 doubleplays this season. He’s also playing an all star caliber lever. You don’t bench him. Now come 2019 or 2020 and if his level has dropped off a cliff I would agree with you point. But right now I adamantly disagree.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

One of my criticisms of the Molina extension was that it was unnecessary to do it a year early. Didn’t make sense to not take the extra year to evaluate performance and health. My question is this – given Yadi’s 2017 performance and more importantly after the concussion, his health, would he get 3/60 this off season from the Cardinals or anyone else?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Not disagreeing, but one part of me is relieved we didn’t have to go through the lame duck drama all year long. If they had brought up Kelly with Molina heading into free agency, no telling what would have happened, but it would have been distracting at best.

My question is how much of the new contract is insured.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If it was drama from the press, I could care less. If it was drama by Molina, he is not the professional leader I want to give a huge contract extension to.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think he would probably get a 3yr deal at $60M even at his age. Also, if we were still in the race, wouldn’t he be playing now? Therefore, the concussion couldn’t have been that severe.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Manager Yadier Molina’s Puerto Rico Under-23 squad earned a spot in the 2018 World Cup as St. Louis Cardinals minor leaguer Yariel Gonzalez homered twice in the final game.

https://thecardinalnation.com/molina-gonzalez-lead-puerto-rico-to-world-cup-berth/

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If anyone has $13,850,000 burning a hole in your pocket, Molina’s Jupiter mansion is on the market.

If you buy it, could I stay in the guest house? 😉

https://www.realtor.com/news/celebrity-real-estate/st-louis-cardinals-yadier-molina-hopes-to-catch-a-buyer-for-his-jupiter-fl-mansion/

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

maybe he’d do some AirBNB for ST…im coming down and need a place

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From the “Thinking way too far ahead department”:

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Extending Yadi beyond 2020 doesn’t need to be on our radar anytime soon. We have much bigger fish to fry before worrying about that.

As for the player-manager comment I just don’t see the need for him to say that. I highly doubt that is Mo and Girsch’s plan and it surely isn’t what Shildt wants to hear I’m sure. Sometimes Yadi speaks before he thinks.

forsch31
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s one offer that I hope never comes. I think he is one of the greatest catchers ever but some of his actions over the years have left me not wanting him as a manager.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i dunno FOrsch…if we based our opinions of managers potential on how they acted as players on or off the field then we may never have gotten some pretty impressive managers throughout the history of the game

i think Yadi would be a very good manager candidate, i just dont see why a player manager would be necessary or desired at this point in baseball…it just seems like it would be too difficult for a player to do both jobs well enough with all the added responsibility of players and managers nowadays as opposed to back in the day when money was a bigger issue for teams as well as responsibilities to media and outreach were less

If we didnt have a stable of young good looking catchers coming in the wake of Yadi’s contract then i could maybe a little understand the sentiment as maybe a player manager for Yadi where he is the backup catcher. But with the youngsters we have I see more passing of the torch upon completion of Yadis contract…passing to Knizner and Kelly and letting them battle it out platoon style to see who deserves the full time gig. At least how it looks now.

If we traded away Kelly and passed the torch to Knizner and were worried abuot Knizner calling games and prep and were still in turmoil for a manager then sure, Yadi as backup and manager and Knizner the starter.

But to me Yadi as manager eventually woudl be fine, no need to have him do double duty. IF he can be a good manager which i think he can be then i think he can do that without splitting his time

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well for him to say he would like to be player manager in 2020 indicates he doesn’t think or want Shildt to be here then. That just isn’t the way we need to start the second half of the season. We need everyone rowing in the same direction for a change.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

It’s difficult to assess Molina’s statement without putting it into context. That is something we don’t have.

Is he volunteering this idea without prompting? (Mayhaps sounding a tad greedy)
    Is he responding to a specific question (which we aren’t given) so the answer kind of makes you go “Hmmmm”
    Is what ESPN quotes Yadi as saying the complete quote or an edited version?

I very much doubt if Molina is trying to push Shildt out the door before he hardly gets in.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

agreed UCONN…it did seem to come out of nowhere

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi might need to clarify.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think it’s much ado about nothing. First, the comment was related to the 2020 season. Why would Shildt be concerned with 2020? He has enough to do in 2018, and then you have the entire 2019 season to get through. Who knows what might happen by then.

So personally I have no problem with the comment at all. I think Yadi knows anything could happen between now and then, but if things fall in such a way to where it is a realistic possibility that he could manage that year, then he would take it on.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

In hindsight, Molina could have said “I don’t mean disrespect to the current manager, but at some point later on….” But I can’t be critical of him for not thinking of that.

I did notice a lot of “me’s” in the quotes in the ESPN article, but it could just be the passages they selected to print.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good points Brian.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years