MLB playoff thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum MLB playoff thread

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 215 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

That is to bad was really hoping Indians and Astro’s would close out their series yesterday.

Participant

Tanaka with a great performance. I think the Indians win today. But the Yankees have some good young players. Judge and Sanchez. Bird is started to hit late in the season if he is for real you can add him with the other two. Gregorius and Castro are not too bad themselves. Their bullpen looks good. If they get some starting pitching they could be in the post season mix for a while. I live close to NYC and I don’t hate the Yankees. I don’t root for them but they don’t bother me. The Red Sox on the other hand….can’t stand them.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

A.J. Hinch just made one of the most galactically stupid decisions ever by a manager in the playoffs. Leading the Bosox 2-1 in the last of the 5th he brings in Verlander – VERLANDER – to face Benitendi. I am sure he was hoping Verlander could close it out the rest of the way.

Benitendi responds with a two run homer. Now, AJ, who is going to start Game 5 if you go on to lose this one?

r/Rat

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

As an aside, I did not realize until now that Joe Girardi does not have a contract for next year. The Yankees clearly have a different strategy for “managing” their manager position.

The Rockies let Walt Weiss manage in the final year of his deal as well. I thought the Cardinals might do that with Matheny, and make a decision this off season. But they were obviously happy with his work when they extended the agreement, and did not want to put him a lame duck situation.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Times have changed. I recall for a number of years, Tony La Russa did not want a multi-year deal. Of course, he was more secure career-wise. A throwback to Walter Alston.

“You take every year like it’s your last year. That’s how you should manage,” TLR said in October 2010.

It turned out to be his last season – with a World Championship at the end.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Hey? Uh, is this the thread about the current playoffs or the thread about Matheny and the Cardinals managers job? Did I post what AJ Hinch did in the wrong thread???

Participant

Boston out excellent. Hoping the Indians win it all.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs lead 2-1 in the top of the 9th. They are about to take a 2-1 lead in the series. Anybody but the Cubs……

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

How does Mr. Toothpick not use his best relievers in this game? Dusty Baker’s long history of choking makes Dr. Henry Heimlich cringe.

Participant

Free

The Indians are up 2-1 why did they bring in short-rested Trevor Bauer? Yankees already up 2-0 in 2nd Inning. I understand using him if your down 2-1 but you’re up. I don’t get this.

Participant

4-0

Participant

6-3 Bottom 6th

Participant

7-3

Participant

Free

Starting Bauer tonight is going to bite Cleveland so hard. Yankees will win Game 5.

Participant

Free

It’s not entirely Dusty’s fault. You’ve got that lineup and outside of one inning it had done nothing.

There’s a history with that franchise. It’s not all on the coach but yes Dusty sucks.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Tough call for Baker. When you have Scherzer going strong, you would think he’s your best bet. But then he had that injury, so they did not want to push him too far. Still, in a game where there is almost no tomorrow, you really should stick with your ace, especially in a game where he had gone 6 no-hit innings.

As for the Tribe, they will have Kluber set for game 5 on normal rest. While he got rocked in game 2, he’s still one of the best in the game and you can’t ask for more than that in a must-win contest.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nationals have two pitchers throw no hit baseball for half of the game and they lose both games. Pitiful. They are toast, once again.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If the Astros can get solid pitching from guys other than Verlander and Keuchel they will be hard to beat. Their lineup is ridiculous.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Did anyone see that SI that came out in 2014 I believe, where it said something like “Presenting the 2017 World Series Champion – Houston Astros”? The ‘Stros were still rebuilding then and it seemed like a bit of a reach, but here they are with a good shot to fulfill the SI prediction.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Nationals and Cubs rained out tonight in Wrigley. Wonder if they will play, if necessary, Game 5 on Thursday night? That would make back-to-back nights. I believe the NLCS is scheduled to start Saturday night in Los Angeles so I assume back-to-back nights if the Nationals win on Wednesday.

r/Rat

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I couldn’t find the EDIT button so had to post again.

If a Game 5 is necessary it will indeed be on Thursday. And, of course, Dusty Baker says he is sticking with Tanner Roark for Game 4 instead of Stephen Strasburg. Which means he could bring Gonzalez back for Game 5 with Scherzer available in the pen.

Wouldn’t you rather go with Strasburg/Gonzalez over Roark/Strasburg?????

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wow! The Red Sox have fired manager John Farrell after two straight division titles, but followed by two ALDS losses.

Boston won 93 games this season and his winning percentage is .533. Wow!

Participant

Free

Strasburg is out because he was sick and couldn’t get his workout in.

Participant

I think Dusty is calling Matheny for advice on how to handle the starters and his bullpen.

Participant

Paid - Annual

The Nationals are facing elimination and Strasburg is refusing to pitch today on normal rest because he is feeling “under the weather”. That is unbelievable!! They have NEVER won a playoff series and he can’t go because he has a head cold. (I really don’t know his ailment but it can’t be that serious since he said he could pitch in Game 5).

Do you think Chris Carpenter would have missed an elimination game because of something like that?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 215 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years