Minor League Game Thread – Week of June 15-20

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Game Thread – Week of June 15-20

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Friday, June 18

Memphis at Indy: Matthew Liberatore 6:05
    Springfield at Wichita: Andre Pallante 7:05
    Peoria vs. Beloit: Michael YaSenka 6:35
    Palm Beach at Daytona: Jose Moreno 6:05 (CT)

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Jose Moreno for Palm Beach just recorded one of the rare feats in baseball, 4 strikeouts in an inning. As I recall he was mentioned by Baseball America for being an interesting DSL prospect years ago. Hopefully he improves this year, as he cannot throw consistent strikes, like many Cards minor leaguers.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Among the highlights, Jose Moreno with a rare 4 strikeout performance in an inning, and Delvin Perez has stole home. Nootbaar with a homer, and Liberatore with a solid 5 inning outing has Memphis out in front 5-1. Pallante continues his fine pitching with a strong 6 innings, 1 run given up, 1 bb, 7 Ks.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t remember a time when there were this many really promising hitters in the Cardinals’ minors. I hope that by the time they get to the big leagues, the sticky stuff that major league pitchers are using has been almost entirely eliminated. And for the pitchers coming up, I hope they will once and for all get steroids out of the game. Then all the players would be on equal ground and we can see who plays the best with the God given talent that he has, and nothing else.

dac8b9
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t remember a time when there were this many really promising hitters in the Cardinals’ minors

I agree, especially in the low minors. Last years draft appears to have been a major success in particular. Walker is already a fringe top 100 prospect on fangraphs due to his impressive numbers, advanced plate discipline, and eye popping stat cast exit velocities. Mason Winn has taken the torch from Gorman for hottest hitter in the system and appears to be what we hoped Delvin Perez would be when he was drafted. Alec Burleson has cooled off a little but is still a well above average hitter at double a his first year in the minors.

The pitchers from that draft I’m still high on as well. Tink Hence is still to make his debut but is really intriguing. Ian Bedell had to get tommy John but is promising. Levi Prater is striking out the world and if he can get his walks under control will really shoot up our prospects ranking.

That draft was rated highly at the time and the early results are really exciting.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Saturday, June 19

Memphis at Indy: Bernardo Flores Jr. 6:05
    Springfield at Wichita: Dalton Roach 6:05
    Peoria vs. Beloit: Logan Gragg 6:35
    Palm Beach at Daytona: TBA 6:05 (CT)

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Robertson another HR tonight. Gives him 2 doubles, 1 triple and 2 HR in his last 3 games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sunday, June 20

Memphis at Indy: Zack Thompson 12:35
    Springfield at Wichita: Domingo Robles 1:05
    Peoria vs. Beloit: Nick Trogrlic-Iverson 1:35
    Palm Beach at Daytona: TBA 4:35 (CT)

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Walker will get a taste of Peoria later in the season.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Liberatore threw only 61 pitches the other night IIRC and Thompson only 59 today. Did something happen or were they both just given a break?

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Thompson was removed for a pinch hitter with runners in scoring position

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice to see Malcolm Nunez doing well at High A after skipping over Low A. He just rolled over onto twenty years old in March.

Jhon Torres has been holding his own at Peoria after only 66 AB’s and a dismal line of .167/.240/.452 at Low A in 2019.

Matt Koperniak is a bit old for Low A ball. But he probably won’t be there long since he’s showcasing an OPS of .883 in his first year of professional ball.

After a hot May and a cold first half of June, Nick Plummer is sizzling again with a line of .476/.579/1.055 in his last 7 games. This is starting to look like something other than a mirage.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A lot of our hitting prospects have looked good this year. It’s the mirror image of the pitching prospects, although a few of them have been starting to turn the corner perhaps of late.

dac8b9
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A lot of our hitting prospects have looked good this year. It’s the mirror image of the pitching prospects, although a few of them have been starting to turn the corner perhaps of late.

I agree, we are starting to build up our system again, though we have a long way to go I think. We seem to have done really well in our last couple of drafts. Hopefully we can do as well this draft as we did last draft and also really restock the org with some pitchers. I think part of the issue with our pitching depth in the system is that I read we are really young at most levels so our pitchers have a lot less experience than the guys they are competing against, which has led to mostly bad results but could pay off in a few years once they are a little older.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Overall I am pleased with what Nunez and Torres are doing this year although the lack of power is surprising. Maybe that will come later.

Delvin Perez continues to impress with the bat. Is he on his way to a 40 man spot?

Brendan Donovan is quietly having a very nice season. He is someone to keep an eye on.

We do have a lot of good bats in the system with Gorman, Burleson, Nunez, Torres, Walker, Wynn, and others. I agree that the pitching needs to be beefed up for sure.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

In terms of the 40 man, they are also going to need to make room for Plummer. He has a .396 OBP in AA. I would like to see what he can do in AAA. But to promote him, they are going to have to demote one or more of the players on the AAA squad to free up playing time.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There will surely be player movement in the minors after the draft.

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years