Minor League Game Thread – Week of July 26-August 1

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Game Thread – Week of July 26-August 1

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Why not be positive? Yepez, Nootbaar, and Burleson are all having good seasons. Nice to see.

Well, I was being tongue in cheek. A lot of our prospect hitters are having good to great years. Gorman, Walker, Winn, and Nunez are all holding their own at least in years when they’ve been promoted. The three you mentioned plus Nick Plummer, Delvin Perez and Brendon Donovan have been quite good. It looks like we should have some potentially good additions to the lineup in the next few years. The pitching has not been so great, but there have been some positives there too.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Saturday, July 31

Memphis vs. Gwinnett, 7:10 pm CT, Johan Oviedo
    Springfield vs. Arkansas, 6:05 pm CT, Kevin McGovern
    Peoria vs. Beloit, 6:35 pm CT, Michael YaSenka
    Palm Beach vs. Tampa, 6:30 pm ET, John Beller
    FCL Cardinals at Marlins, 10:00 am ET
    DSL Blue at DSL Red, 10:30 am ET

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Only one real bright spot in Saturday’s (DSL, FCL aside) play system wide. His name is Edgar Eduardo Manzo. EE sailed beautifully thru 5 complete innings with the wind at his back, as he shut down the high octane offensively minded Tampa Tampons with barely a whimper. How does no hits, no runs, 6 K’s and 1 free pass grab you?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sunday, August 1

Memphis vs. Gwinnett, 2:05 pm CT, Jack Flaherty
    Springfield vs. Arkansas (2), 4:05 pm CT, TBA/Tyler Pike
    Peoria vs. Beloit, 1:35 pm CT, Logan Gragg
    Palm Beach vs. Tampa (2), noon ET, Ludwin Jimenez/Gustavo Rodriguez
    FCL and DSL off

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Santos should be tried as a starter for the rest of the year. 9 strikeouts in 4 1/3 innings.
    And Luken Baker is crushing the ball.
    Most all of his homers I have seen lately have been no doubters. 21 so far.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Right on Cardinals27. This Luken Grosvenor Baker fellow has to be the heir apparent to Goldy. 6’4 and flirting with 300 lbs and can swat balls like he’s demonstrated this year. He needs to live and breathe defense for a solid month at Goldy’s side….for starters. Greg Luzinski anyone?

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs, I still believe there will be DH next year in the NL. The bigger question is will there be a work stoppage? But surely Baker, Gorman, Burleson, and even Yepez could fill that role at least part of the time.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Omar Sanchez is my next pick to watch. 10 1/3, 15 Ks, 5 saves in the DSl. The Aussie catcher Burns hit his first American homer today in the FCL.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

But surely Baker, Gorman, Burleson, and even Yepez could fill that role at least part of the time.

Baker has a .308 OBP in AA. I wouldn’t be penciling him in for the big leagues any time soon.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Baker, who leads our minor leaguers in homers, will improve his contact rate and average. His walk rate is pretty good. In fact, I think his best chance is to be a DH, because he isn’t a great first baseman.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

How does Baker compare to Luke Voit?

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

In AA:
    Voit: .297/.372/.477 with 20 doubles, 5 triples (?!?!?!) and 19 HR
    Baker: .230/.308/.502 with 14 doubles and 21 HR (so far)

So, Voit had better contact skills and running (evidently). Baker has more HR power.

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years