Minor League Game Thread – Week of August 9-15

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Game Thread – Week of August 9-15

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was glad to see Thompson have another OK start.

bccran
    Participant

Pretty good stash of pitchers at Memphis –

Oviedo
    Liberatore
    Thompson
    Rondon
    Woodford
    Fernandez
    Thomas
    Warner

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nothing there but hopefuls cranny. Oviedo just got pummeled.

It should be Mikolas’s turn again in Springfield but it looks like he is not today’s starter. He got thoroughly lit up last time out, but I am unaware of a setback unless I missed it. Does anyone know what’s up with him?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Those hopefuls at Memphis are real prospects with real talent, IMO. They’re not just wanna be’s. I think the whole system, and in fact, all of minor league baseball got set back because of COVID. Most players did not stick with a training regimen, and coaches and trainers were for the most part unavailable except by phone or mail. It’s taking all of 2021 to get things back on track. I think next year things will be much different as players regain their mojo. Of course, a work stoppage in 2022 would bring about another setback.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Saturday, August 14

Memphis at Norfolk, 7:05 pm ET/6:05 pm CT, Jake Woodford
    Springfield at Arkansas, 7:10 pm CT, Tyler Pike
    Peoria vs Cedar Rapids, 6:35 pm CT, Mac Lardner
    Palm Beach vs Lakeland (2), 1:00 pm ET/2:00 pm CT, TBA/TBA
    FCL Cardinals off
    DSL Blue at DSL Blue 10:30 am ET/9:30 am CT, TBA/TBA

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I didn’t intend to say the starter types in Memphis are not real prospects. Just that as of now I think it would be a mistake to go into next season thinking we can fill a rotation slot from that group. How any might do as a depth guy getting called into service time will tell probably. Hopefully better than what we got this year. True everyone got set back. Its a level field as far as that goes.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2022 rotation out of Spring Training – Wainwright, Flaherty, Hudson, Mikolas, Kim. That would be just fine if we knew they would all be healthy and stay healthy. But, in fact, we know the opposite will happen. One or more will have some sort of injury. Wainwright, Mikolas, and Kim all have health concerns before any one of them throws a pitch. Plus, as it stands today, who knows if even Hudson will return to form. It almost seems like they will have to bring Reyes along as a starter in 2022 regardless of his 2021 success as a closer. I don’t want to overpay for Scherzer. Anyone who thinks his best days are not behind him is being wishful rather than realistic. I don’t want to bring Syndergaard to
    St. Louis on a megacontract that pays him for being on the IL half of the time. If they can’t trade for an established starter, then I’d just as soon try to fill the needs from within by letting all of the pitchers listed above by cranny have at it. Middle relief doesn’t look much better.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Before the 2019 season 30ish Lynn was just lying around for the taking. Proven innings eating horse with more wins than losses. 3/30 got him. With, hopefully, Flaherty and Hudson at the top of our rotation, and maybe Wainwright too, we don’t have to be looking for an established top of rotation guy. Especially one who is going to be on the downslope. We need a couple guys who can answer the bell every 5 days and give us .500.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas pitched tonight in Peoria as part of his rehab assignment. He went six and gave up three runs on five hits. Two runs and two hits in the first. He shut them down until the sixth when they scored one run on three hits.

He left the game with a 4-3 lead!

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The previous post was inaccurate.

Mikolas went six and gave up three runs on five hits. Two runs and two hits in the first. He shut them down after the first until the sixth. Cedar Rapids scored one run on three hits in the sixth.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks 1964cards. He fared better vs the lesser opposition. Every outing without a physical issue is positive.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Was nice seeing minor league baseball live in Peoria tonight. Walker hits the ball HARD every time virtually. He had a base running blunder, but he looks very promising as a hitter. Winn stole 2 bases, and he seems very comfortable at this level. Seems likely the 2 top draft picks from 2020 will be in Springfield at some point in 2022. Strangest thing was a drone flew over the field causing a delay. To cap cap it all off, the fireworks show was great after the game.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sunday, August 15

Memphis at Norfolk, 12:05 pm CT, Jake Woodford/Connor Thomas
    Springfield at Arkansas, 2:10 pm CT, TBA
    Peoria vs Cedar Rapids, 1:35 pm CT, Connor Lunn
    Palm Beach vs Lakeland, 12:00 pm ET, TBA
    FCL and DSL off

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran
    Participant

Are we paying enough attention to Conner Thomas? He was drafted in the 5th round in 2019 out of Georgia Tech.
    In his 1st season (stub), he pitched in 15 games for State College and Peoria, with only 4 starts.

2021 is his 1st full professional season. He began the season all the way up at Springfield, and after only 4 starts was promoted to Memphis. At Memphis he has 8 starts in 15 appearances and has an ERA of 3.39.

Small lefty, but has soared through the system to be on the doorstep. Is he flying under the radar? He may not have the ceiling of a Libby, Thompson, Oviedo, or Rondon, but he’s sure doing a nice job.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I can’t speak for others, but Connor Thomas moved up to the no. 24 prospect in the system in our July monthly rankings and could do better in the August revision.

TCN’s Monthly Cardinals Top 50 Prospect Rankings – July 2021

bccran
    Participant

Not privy to that article for subscribers, but with all the worry about the depth of pitching in our system, he seems like a bright spot. It’s an incentive to look for more under the radar guys up and down the system this season.

bccran
    Participant

Jack Ralston may be another under the radar guy. Was 11-1 with a 2.66 ERA in 17 starts for UCLA in 2019. After being drafted, he pitched in relief in 17 games for State College
    and had a 1.07 ERA. Only gave up 12 hits in 25 1.3 innings.
    This season, his first full season as a pro, he’s spent the whole season at Peoria. Has started 10 out of 18 appearances and has an ERA of 3.58. But he’s only given up 34 hits in 51 1/3 innings and struck out 79. HIs control problems have held him back, but if he corrects that he could be another bright spot.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.