Minor League Game Thread – Week of August 23-29

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Minor League Game Thread – Week of August 23-29

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just hope he has had time to get his strength and conditioning back where it needs to be so he doesn’t hurt something else like Flaherty.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yepez with 24 homers and 63 rbis. He is looking like a potential great DH in 2022.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

4 Cardinal prospects with 20+ home runs. And if Walker was healthy he might be close also.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Pez” also throttled a 3 run blast later on giving him 19 homers on the campaign, StlCard25. That’s 7 rbi tonight for Mr. Yepez. Very good sign that he seems to be strengthening as the season moves along. Oh, and Gorman drilled a solo 4-bagger too…..his only hit in 5 ab’s.

Pretty impressive. Those two have done very fine work and Memphis is reaping the reward by having these bash brothers back to back in the lineup. I’ve got Gorman penciled into 2B next year (platoon with Edman) and Yepez as a very solid candidate for some DH/utility at bats.

bccran
    Participant

Yepez has seen some games in the OF at both Springfield and Memphis this season.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Neither Rangel Ravelo nor John Nogowski hit 20 homers in the system, but of course, neither has been able to make the final step for good.

bccran
    Participant

Yepez this season between Springfield and Memphis –
    352PA/.274/.377/.588/.965/24HR/
    63RBI

What’s really nice is that he’s showing that power with a strike out rate of only
    18%.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

25, the bad part is that if there is a DH next year and Schildt is still the manager, Edman will get almost every 2B AB, Gorman will be the DH and Yepez will be in Memphis or sitting on the bench in St. Louis. While that’s not the worst thing ever, Edman seems to get exposed when he plays every day. Gorman really needs to get almost all the reps at second unless his defense hurts the team.

I wouldn’t have a problem with Edman playing CF if he could field it almost as well as Bader.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

On the last point, forsch, it’s a huge “if”, though…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sunday, August 29

Memphis vs. Columbus, 2:05 CT, T.J. Zeuch
    Springfield at NW Arkansas, 2:05 CT, Kevin McGovern
    Peoria vs. South Bend, 1:35 CT, Michael YaSenka
    Palm Beach vs. Jupiter, noon ET, Dionys Rodriguez
    FCL, DSL off

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Since Yepez’s promotion to AAA

June BA/OBP .277 / .373 and 2 HR and 15 K
    July BA/OBP .229 / .327 and 10 HR and 23 K
    August BA/OBP .333 / .442 and 4 HR and 11 K

It seems like maybe they are working on his swing/approach to get the right balance between power and average. In July the homer surge came with a huge drop in OBP that month. At this point, a plausible scenario would have him hitting 1st or 2nd next year as DH / platoon guy. Hopefully he does not have Yadi speed.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Yeah Brian, I should have bolded and underlined the “if”. Edman’s bat profiles well as a very good defensive CFer.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yepez could be another Allen Craig.

14NyquisT
    Participant

MLB has a stat in their split section as “late/close”. Now according to this stat Edman is batting .357. Oh yeah and he’s batting .303 in August. I vote we give him the brush off. On the other hand…. I can’t see him losing at-bats no matter how many games Gorman plays.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m not suggesting that Edman be brushed off. I think he has a role as a utility guy. He could easily get 400 PAs as the short side of a platoon with Gorman, fill in SS, 3B and maybe some OF reps. I really think 2B with Gorman and Edman getting mostly favorable PAs yields at least an .800 OPS from the position and decent defense too.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yepez could be another Allen Craig.

With the way “Pez” is progressing, I’m hoping for a Tony Perez type of career, Scotty. He’ll be a year or two behind Tony’s pace, but who knows?

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB has Yepes ranked No. 27 according to the Cardinals’ website. Not sure if that means anything. He’ll be one to watch in spring training next year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Our July rankings have Yepez no. 23 in the system.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.