Memphis 2020 rotation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Memphis 2020 rotation

This topic contains 9 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 14NyquisT 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If healthy and not pitching in St Louis, the Memphis rotation should be exciting to watch next season. Having veterans like PDL, Gomber, and Woodford, with prospects Cabrera and Rondon also in the mix, should make for the best pitching staff in the PCL.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

I wonder if Helsley or Gant will be brought in as starters? If Carlos is brought back and Reyes will get his opportunity, it seems like they will have so many options that they will continue to play the numbers approach and once again avoid paying for a number 1 type.
    I really can’t blame them as well as it worked this year.
    I still see Ponce as the ace since he has, in my mind, established himself as a viable MLB starter. Still he may have the lowest ceiling of the group, and he might be more valuable in the pen.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

You better hope Pugs doesn’t see this post. You realize you didn’t even mention The Great One.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Helsley sure looked like a late inning reliever in last night’s game against Colorado. He was throwing the ball at 100 MPH and hitting his spots.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Gant and Helsley should get a chance next spring to start. We have Whitley, Dobzanski, and Fernandez as good candidates to backfill in the pen.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At this point, I’d think Gant is locked in as a reliever. Helsley is 50-50 to me but it will depend on health. He’s sort of a Carlos Martinez clone in that sense.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think most of the discussion about Hensley, until this year, centered around him being a reliever. If he has secondary pitches that he can control, I wouldn’t mind at all if they brought him along as a starter.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He seems to be trusting his secondary pitches more, with the more experience he is getting. I believe Baseball America in their Prospect Handbook had stated he had improved greatly with them.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

I’d like to see Helsley begin 2020 in the Memphis rotation. The organization has the ability to get creative with the options that they will have at AAA:
    Helsley (25)
    PonceDeLeon (27)
    Woodford (23)
    Cabrera (22)
    Parsons (24)
    Kruczynski (24)
    Shew (26)
    Fagalde (25)
    Rondon (21)
    Oviedo (21)

Spring training will give all of them the opportunity to be part of the starting five. IMO Helsley and Ponce have nothing more to prove at AAA.

14NyquisT

Paid - Annual

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

C27, I doubt that I’m in the minority here, but since mid season, I often forget about Reyes and the poor luck he’s had. That doesn’t mean they should give up on him, just likely can’t be counted on for anything moving forward

I’m in the majority likewise. Reyes could be a huge factor. If he finds his way into the 2020 STL rotation, he just might turn out to be the pitcher most Card fans are clamoring for.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years