Manager Openings

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Manager Openings

This topic contains 68 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 week ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe Matheny pulls a Torre and has some great success. Best of luck to him.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

KC is a good spot for Matheny. Much lower expectations than StL.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I like Mike Matheny…I hope he does well in KC.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If Matheny follows in Torre’s footsteps, he is going to have to be fired twice more before tasting real success.

With so many new candidates surfacing in today’s world vs. the old ways of recycling the same managers, it would be surprising for anyone to get four shots these days…

It is not going to be easy for Matheny. The MLB club is not even close to being competitive (103 losses), the payroll is low and the farm system is below average (ranked 19 per BA). Perhaps the new owner will make a difference, but that will take time, and managers don’t get ropes that are very long.

I wonder if Mabry, Lilliquist and the rest of the old gang will be joining him in KC.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Lots of whining about Matheny but facts is facts and the man has a winning percentage that few others can claim and has also had championships and a WS appearance not since duplicated. I think that like any manager he worked with what he had and what he had for a pitching coach was Lilliquist who was fired this season at the Nationals. The pitching coach has to be able to lead the manager into his pitching selections. You don’t just ignore your coaches and succeed. If Mike Matheny gets any support from the FO and new ownership at KC he will do just fine.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Who is whining about Matheny?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

A lot of those twitter posts that somebody has been putting up contain unadulterated dislike or criticism for Matheny. A few snide comments on TCN too. I call that whining but I guess there are better words for it.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

There has been much whining about Matheny in the past.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

But not here today. Wish him well and move on. Why dredge up old beefs – other than to rekindle them?

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I always liked Matheny.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Really interesting if this comes to pass…

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Beltran surprises me. Not too many outstanding players have become really good managers. Torre was one. Mattingly, perhaps, might be another. But only because he played against me in American Legion baseball.

I never did think Pete Rose was much of a manager.

Anyway, good luck to the Mets with Beltran.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I bet Mattingly couldn’t touch your curve with a 10 foot pole, Rat. I think MM will do well in KC. And I’m sure he’s going to pull out all of the stops for his yearly 6 games vs our Birds. MM will of course be the second skipper in baseball history to manage both the Cardinals and the Royals. Based on previous records ( Whitey winning 100+ games in a season for both teams and MM accomplishing the feat in his 7 year stint in St. Louis ) , I think the odds are pretty fair that MM will log at least one 100+ victory campaign for KC. I would love to get another crack at KC in thd world series again before I register my final post one day. But then you run the risk of the Royals punking us again……and that alone might bury me.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 19 posts - 51 through 69 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years