Manager Openings

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Manager Openings

This topic contains 68 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 16 hours, 4 minutes ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Gabe was still playing 2nd base for the woeful Tigers. Ah the pink shirt, Mr. Perkins. That goes way back…..wayyy back to the horse & buggy days at The Birdhouse. Wonder whatever happened to JModene, PhilSkill and Ray M.?? Those were the days when Mr. Perkins came an eyelash away from marrying that sizzzling hot I. R. S. agent…..which would be pretty risky business. You’d almost have to let her win every argument or you could find yourself doing a 5-10 year stretch making license plates in an orange jumpsuit with the number IDOC458563 gracing your back. You certainly made the correct move waiting for the real Mrs. Right, Mr. Perkins.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Does it surprise anyone that Dusty Baker’s name is being tossed around for some of the managerial openings? The latest one is with Philadelphia.

Personally, it boggles my mind that anybody would consider hiring him.

r/Esteemed Rat

858booyah
    Participant

Free

He’s had some success but he’s also lost some clubhouses along the way.

The guy has won 1,800 games and has a .532 Bonds aided winning percentage. The guy has won which is why he get calls.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not surprised Dusty Baker is being considered. He has won everywhere he has been. I was shocked the Nats fired him after winning 98 games the year before. He has won with the Giants, Cubs, Reds, and Nats. Took all of them to the playoffs.

I know the trend is to hire a guy in his early 40’s who has never managed before so the analytic guys in the front office can tell him every move to make but maybe hiring an old school guy once in a while is the way to go.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar gscottar.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar gscottar.
    Mrperkins
    Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

Puggs, I miss those days some, especially that hot IRS agent some almost 10 years ago. But I got what I truly need now, and she is a Cards fan. Although I am a tad bit irritated with her appreciation of Molina and Matt Adams. That actually is very common down here in southern Missouri (Matt Adams love). The new Mr Perkins is due Nov 21st and I can’t be happier. I do miss insight from Jerry Modene.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Finally made it official.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am sorry Albert has to play for that creep.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

These odds are courtesy of BetOnline (www.BetOnline.ag, Twitter: @betonline_ag).

Chicago Cubs Next Manager
    David Ross 2/1
    Will Venable 5/2
    Joe Girardi 7/2
    Mark Loretta 4/1
    Joe Espada 5/1
    Gabe Kapler 6/1

Kansas City Royals Next Manager
    Mike Matheny 3/2
    Pedro Grifol 4/1
    Dale Sveum 5/1
    Vance Wilson 5/1
    Joe Girardi 15/2
    Tony Pena Jr. 15/2
    Buck Showalter 10/1
    Mike Scioscia 15/1
    John Gibbons 20/1

New York Mets Next Manager
    Joe Girardi 2/1
    Carlos Beltran 5/2
    Eduardo Perez 5/1
    Luis Rojas 7/1
    Mike Bell 7/1
    Derek Shelton 15/2
    Dusty Baker 10/1
    Buck Showalter 15/1
    Mike Matheny 15/1

Philadelphia Phillies Next Manager
    Buck Showalter 3/1
    Dusty Baker 3/1
    Joe Girardi 13/4
    Dusty Wathan 5/1
    Joe Espada 15/2
    Raul Ibanez 15/2
    Charlie Manuel 12/1
    Mike Scioscia 20/1
    Curt Schilling 150/1
    Lenny Dykstra 250/1

Pittsburgh Pirates Next Manager
    Derek Shelton 5/2
    Ryan Christenson 3/1
    Jeff Banister 7/2
    Jason Kendall 5/1
    Mark Kotsay 5/1
    Mike Bell 6/1
    Joe Espada 15/2

San Diego Padres Next Manager
    Brad Ausmus 3/1
    Rod Barajas 4/1
    Ron Washington 4/1
    Buck Showalter 9/2
    Joe Girardi 5/1
    Bob Henley 6/1
    Mike Scioscia 15/2
    Jayce Tingler 10/1

San Francisco Giants Next Manager
    Hensley Meulens 5/2
    Mark Kotsay 3/1
    Gabe Kapler 7/2
    Will Venable 7/2
    Ron Wotus 5/1
    Pedro Grifol 15/2
    Raul Ibanez 10/1

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Could you imagine Matheny in New York? Lol

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I liked Matheny and his record proves that he was not so bad either but personalities do clash from time to time and I respect his leaving. He will in all probability be the next manager of the Royals. Sort of a Whitey Herzog move in reverse.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I hope and pray that the Cubs do hire someone from that list. I think that would be a break for our side.

r/Esteemed Rat <~~~~who might have the police after him later today….

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good news for Stubby…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will Venable? I hazily recall a Max Venable. Lenny Dykstra at 250-1 odds to become the next manager in the City of Brotherly Love? I wouldn’t bite at that wager if it were 250,000,000-1 odds. I look for Beltran to be tabbed as the next N.Y. skipper and Loretta in Chicago.

Great news Mr. Perkins! This world could definitely use more Mr. Perkins’ in it. Please keep us posted as November 21st draws near. And you better load up on tbose cigars with The Esteemed Rat in our midst…..he will not settle for just one….especially if they are his Palma Reals.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Showalter might be the best candidate available for a lot of those clubs. I am glad the Cubs do not have him on their list.

Not sure Matheny is a good fit for Kansas City. They are in a re-build mode, and Matheny did not do well with younger players in St. Louis. Plus my sense is that his personality does not mesh well with the modern player. He seems too rigid in his thinking. Ironically, to me he would make a real good high school football coach, where you can force the kids to do things your way, whether or not they have anything to do with what goes on between the lines. In the pro’s though, that stuff does not work.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<BM wrote: Not sure Matheny is a good fit for Kansas City. They are in a re-build mode, and Matheny did not do well with younger players in St. Louis. Plus my sense is that his personality does not mesh well with the modern player.>

Do not agree. He had a winning record that exceed all previous managers at 1000 games. He won an NLCS and took the team to a World Series as well as the playoffs on the majority of his tenure. His World Series team comprised Kolten Wong, Pete Kozma, Matt Carpenter, Joe Kelly, the other young guy traded to Boston, as well as some young pitchers too. People whined about his hitting coach and all that was changed but is our hitting any better? Matheny was the model of all managers who are fired. First you vilify and then you fire. I assume by ‘modern player’ you mean the multi-millionaires of today. My only gripe with Matheny is that he stood up for that idiot in Oakland, a catcher, who took a knee during the national anthem.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

My only gripe with Matheny is that he stood up for that idiot in Oakland, a catcher, who took a knee during the national anthem.

God forbid a player expresses their freedom of speech.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<BHC wrote: God forbid a player expresses their freedom of speech.>

Speech is not free. I served 20 years as proof of that and I respect that flag. Sorry you don’t agree but it places you in a category for me not that you would care.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

agree with Minuteman here, that is also why i no longer watch the NFL at all anymore…

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Speech is not free. I served 20 years as proof of that and I respect that flag. Sorry you don’t agree but it places you in a category for me not that you would care.

You’re right, I don’t care. I know service members that would say they served so people like Bruce Maxwell could kneel for the flag.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

And I know alot of service members who think it is a slap in the face to do that to the flag….it is ssad to see people to that stupid kind of stuff

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

And I know alot of service members who think it is a slap in the face to do that to the flag….it is ssad to see people to that stupid kind of stuff

So those of you who think protesting is stupid, do you think the Boston Tea Party was stupid? Do you think the March on DC by MLK, or the Selma march, or the bus boycott were stupid? None of that is as sad as seeing umarmed people shot and killed by police officers. Tell Atatiana Jefferson how sad it is, or Botham Jean among countless others.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Perhaps we should return the subject to baseball.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Please accept CIFs advice. If you have any questions about why, refresh your knowledge of the board’s posting rules first. They are pinned to the top of the page.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Looks like the Cubs are going with David Ross.

Is that a mistake by the Cubs?

r/Esteemed Rat

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years