Madison Bumgarner Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Madison Bumgarner Thread

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GC – If they had signed Bumgarner and he turned out to be mediocre, then we have to wait five years for him to be on his way out of town. Every time his spot in the rotation would roll around, we would pretty much know we’re going to get a mediocre performance. I think there are several front offices that have GM’s that think they’re not doing their job unless they spend the money that they’ve been allocated. Forget about whether it’s being spent wisely or not.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From Ken Rosenthal:

“As The Athletic’s Andrew Baggarly recently noted, Bumgarner has horses in the Phoenix area and loves it there. For Bumgarner, an individualist who cares little about public perception, that and the solid five-year offer were enough.”

From SF beat writer Andrew Baggarly:

“Bumgarner told me in July that he and his wife, Ali, loved Arizona and he’d be interested in playing for the Diamondbacks. He gets his preferred destination from a life perspective, he’ll play for a team with way more near-term upside than the Giants, he still gets to hit (in a lively ballpark where he loves to take BP) and he still gets to stare down the Dodgers five or six times a year. What’s not to love?”

From AZ’s Zach Buchanan:

“My first thought when seeing this news was, ‘Wow, the Diamondbacks just goosed the trade market for their own pitcher.’ Before today, I thought it made more sense to try to trade Robbie Ray at the deadline, giving the left-hander a chance to bounce back from a performance- and velocity-challenged 2019 season. But Ray’s value may very well be pretty high right now, since the Diamondbacks just snatched one of the best available starters from the free-agent market.”

Much more trade reaction in this article at The Athletic.

https://theathletic.com/1462201/2019/12/15/roundtable-reaction-the-diamondbacks-sign-madison-bumgarner-to-a-five-year-deal/

Participant

Free

And if he is good we would have loved him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can’t argue with that. If we really needed pitching bad enough, a serious bid might have made sense. Regardless, it sounds like the money was not his primary objective, playing for Arizona was.

Participant

Free

Like Leake wanted all along but Price wanted to play here and money was the determining factor. So it can’t all be about money. Cards didn’t want Bumgardner. If they did they’d offer 120 million.

Biggest mistake we made was Carpenter. That alone should get anyone the axe.

Participant

Free

Read Cards hoped he would sign a pillow contract somewhere, if that is true this FO is completely LOST When it comes to signing big time players…

Participant

Free

I complain about Dewitt’s cheapness and how he cares more about taking home $100-150M a year than the Cards, but common Nate, stop being such a hater!!

Participant

Free

There are hints that the Dbacks will be giving up Robbie Ray a left hander. Might the Cards be interested. For me, I think MadBum made a decision based on where he wants to be and not on finding another winning team. Glad some folks like the desert. Keeps them out of the purty parts of the country…..LOL.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d love to know how the Angels offered him.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There are hints that the Dbacks will be giving up Robbie Ray a left hander. Might the Cards be interested.

Maybe, but this signing might indicate that they think they’re contenders. At any rate, they took another lefty off the market, which will certainly raise the price for Ray.

Viewing 11 posts - 51 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years