Madison Bumgarner Thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Madison Bumgarner Thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Probably worth starting a separate thread, as the Cards are said to be entering the race for MadBum. Certainly he would be an upgrade to the rotation, although if he’s going to cost $100M and a draft pick, there is a huge risk involved.

https://www.mlb.com/news/madison-bumgarner-linked-to-cardinals

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wonder who the ‘source’ is that leaked this rumor. With the Cardinals joining the other 29 MLB teams as ‘potential bidder(s)’, there must be quite a bidding frenzy going on for Bumgarner’s services.

Participant

The list of players that have been mentioned here as targets for acquisition by the Cards is beginning to dwindle a bit…. but there are so many names left. Bumgarner is probably the name that has come up most often. So which one(s) will be headed for St Louis? Maybe someone much farther down on tier III.

Participant

Free

Someone was hurting to come up with something to write about before a deadline perhaps? If possibly true, being in the market for a LHSP is a very smart decision, but I don’t think I’d prefer MadBum when all is considered.

Keuchel at 3/50 (guess of course) keeping their pick and possibly having a little left over to add to the lineup is a better option in my opinion compared to MadBum at 5/100 (guess), losing a draft pick and the mileage on his arm.

I also love the fact that Keuchel only pitched half of the year last year, so he should be better rested coming into the season, one could assume. Also, for what it’s worth, in 2020 he’s projected to have better stats than MadBum. Keuchel is also projected to have a 56.5% groundball rate, with the exception of Carp, that could translate great for the Cards infield.

Participant

Free

Someone is leaking his name and the Cardinals…it was mentioned on MLBTV today.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Here is the exact quote. Are there enough “weasel words” in here to question its worth?

“a source told MLB.com that a new potential bidder could be entering the fray”

The Cards COULD be entering the fray and they might be a POTENTIAL bidder. Hooray!

Still, for conservative MLB to break this suggests there may be some smoke.

(GC, who did MLB Network cite as their source?)

Participant

Free

i don’t see the cards spending that much $$ on him at all….

Participant

Free

The Cardinals were mentioned specifically on MLB Now along with the Reds , White Sox & Twins.

Participant

Paid - Three Months

He is actually one of their few possible plays. Any starter you sign has to be a top of the rotation horse, or you simply go with Ponce, Gomber, Woodford, etc…
    After watching the start where he got drilled by the comebacker, it is within reason to think he gained organizational respect. We never got to see Marco hit;we deserve this treat.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by AvatarNigel T.
    Participant

Free

I have a hard time believing this one. If we signed Bumgarner we probably wouldn’t have the budget to also throw a really bad contract at a reliever.

But throwing a lot of money at an aging vet whose cliff is imminent does seem like a real possibility.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Sorry I was not clear, GC. Did MLB Network cite the MLB.com article as their source or did they not say where their rumor originated?

(I am trying to learn if their reporting is independent of MLB.com or is just repeating what the MLB.com article says. It seems like 99% of what we read anymore is just regurgitation. I always try to work backward to the original source, as the story can and often does change as it gets repeated. In fact, I am going to watch this story and share some of the headlines that are almost certain to follow.)

Participant

Paid - Three Months

If the Reds are seriously in on Madbum, I would love to be the team who drove them to five years. It could be Homer Baily all over.
    I am torn. I would pay a lot for three years, but he sure is scary.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Stepping back, does anyone really think the Cards would go five years/$120 MM or thereabouts for MadBum (or any pitcher in his 30’s)?

I picked those terms as being comparable to Wheeler’s, who is only one year younger, but also less accomplished.

Participant

Free

Brian…these were talking heads on MLB Now that came on at 2PM EST.

Participant

Free

John Hart and Ron Darling were on the show discussing.

Participant

Free

Maybe the Cardinals are trying to drive up the cost to Reds. I think the Reds are going to become the Cardinal’s main competition in the Central.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

ATSOTC, funny comment – haha.

As for MadBum, that’s just too much. I like CFICT’s reasoning. A relative bargain like Keuchel seems smarter. You wouldn’t be getting a post-season mound monster who is so coveted by the serious contenders, but I also think that ship has sailed for MadBum.

Participant

Free

Again, the lefty that I want is Logan Allen in a trade with Cleveland for Jose Martinez and Jake Woodford.

Participant

Paid - Annual

This Madbum talk doesn’t really make sense if we are to believe the Cardinals plan to keep payroll similar to 2019. Either they have changed their mind, they were bluffing, they plan to trim payroll elsewhere, or this signing has no chance of happening.

If there is any truth to this idea I would tread carefully with Madbum. Yes he is reasonably young but there is a lot of mileage on that arm. I wouldn’t go beyond three years which means the deal probably wouldn’t get done.

To me the length of the deal should be a bigger factor than AAV. Not just for Madbum but for any player. I am tired of being stuck in long term albatross contracts that prevent us from upgrading the team.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 2 months ago by Avatargscottar.
    Participant

Free

It is a risk either way…if he signs with the Reds and he is good and they win the Central you might have a change of mine. I guarantee if that happens there will be many that will slam the FO as being too cheap to compete.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Yes, some may complain about the Cards being too cheap but do we really trust the FO to make a free agent signing that doesn’t come back to bite us later? We haven’t had many free agent signings work out in recent years.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

If GM’s had a crystal ball they wouldn’t make these mistakes.

Participant

Paid - Annual

If GM’s had a crystal ball they wouldn’t make these mistakes.

If all it takes is a crystal ball then anyone could be a GM.

Participant

Free

Well, #1 Crystal Balls don’t work #2 all GM’s get some right and miss on others.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 61 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years