Let's Rebuild the Cardinals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Let's Rebuild the Cardinals

This topic contains 62 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by Avatar 1982 willie 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    BrockLou
    Participant

Free

I am familiar with the Detroit Tigers because I live less than an hour from Comerica Park. I actually saw a Tigers game there a couple of months ago (free tickets)
    They are on pace to win 50 games and lose 112!!
    Are you sure you want to rebuild? For one thing, even if everything goes well, you usually end up with a good club that makes the playoffs, then falters short of a pennant, much less a championship.
    We could have that with one relief pitcher and one bat.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Tigers are doing a complete tear down, which they needed to do after Mr. Ilitch’s wild spending a few years ago. I don’t think anyone is advocating the Cardinals do that. The Cardinals could jettision a few high priced veterans, replace them with more athletic youngsters, and still be competitive. The term rebuild means different things to different people. I prefer retool ala the 2016 Yankees. They jettisoned some veterans that summer for some good prospects then in 2017 they won 100 games.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Nobody in their right mind should want the Cardinals to totally rebuild.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t know of anyone advocating that. Trying to move Carp and Fowler is not a rebuild.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

That is not what this thread’s title says?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like I said the phrase rebuild can be interpreted many ways.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

If you think they have a good farm system, why not just stop making trades (except emergency hole filling), and stop the massive free agent contract signing?
    Even after that great run , Goldy is way off what we paid for.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Goldschmidt was an excellent acquisition. Now they have to decide if they want to re-sign Ozuna…at this point I am for it. Carlson has to be the reason why they don’t.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

Last I looked he has a WAR of 2.0, but if Goldy can run that up to 4.7 by October, we might have a chance. That is the floor we are paying for.
    Bottom line, these free agent signings rarely pan out. Neither do rebuilds that take more than a couple of years. There are many pitching injuries every year that turn things upside down quickly.
    To be competitive, you have to be steadily bringing along players and not blowing your wad on big contracts that never pay out.
    Look at LAA. One bad contract (Pujols) has doomed a big market club to a decade of mediocrity, despite having one of the all time greats on the roster (Trout)

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

GameCard

Goldschmidt was an excellent acquisition. Now they have to decide if they want to re-sign Ozuna…at this point I am for it. Carlson has to be the reason why they don’t.

Carlson has played almost exclusively CF in 2019 so I don’t see Ozuna being a factor in Carlson’s promotion. Carlson is a year away anyway and Fowler, Bader, O’Neill, and Thomas are all probably factored in as well.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would say Carp’s extension may be the reason they don’t.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Lets tweak the roster and make it five years in a row with NO playoffs. Start with MO and start the process.

1982 willie
    Participant

Free

nothing wrong with rebuilding, gamecard. just adding this, subtracting that to an old aging lineup is just treading water and praying for a miracle. you can add players and subtract when you have a some great players at the top of their game. we don’t have that at the moment.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years