Lance Lynn trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Lance Lynn trade thread

This topic contains 71 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Brianpnoonan 2 years ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

I’m not sure which would be better for us, to trade Lynn first or wait for Gray or one of the other big names to be traded and then wait for the other teams to call us as they start to panic/get desperate…

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I thought the Cardinals should have targeted somebody like AJ Minter, who was ranked about the same as Gant at the time, but has much better stuff and, at worst, would probably be a very good reliever.

Gant is at his ceiling (AAAA), and Ellis doesn’t project much better, if at all. Braves fans love the fact they weeded out the system and took a flier on a kid with a much higher ceiling…

Here’s why the Braves traded Jaime Garcia – asset acquisition
    Here is how Keith Law described it:
    “Atlanta gave up two fringe arms (Chris Ellis and John Gant) for Garcia, got a win-plus (WAR-wise) worth of value (from) him and flipped him for a teenage pitching prospect with some upside a few months later. That seems like a win to me.”

You yawned at the Braves prospect they got for the last two months of Garcia’s contract, but were excited by what we got back for the last year-and-a-half for Adams? Really?

Here’s the deal – a major leaguer is always worth more than an unheard of guy in A-ball just because the major leaguer actually made it through all the levels…If the Cardinals had gotten 2-3 lottery picks in A-ball, great. But they got one, who can’t field.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I think this is a clear indication the Cardinals are satisfied to keep Lynn and get a 3rd round pick when he walks unless they’re blown away by the 31st deadline. WE want someone to throw us an offer.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Which shows how STUPID this Front office is

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

One risk in keeping Lynn and then not signing him is that he signs with the Cubs, replacing Lackey. He’ll be haunting us for another 3 years or so.

If we keep him, I prefer management to be thinking of working a deal moreso than taking a flier on a draft choice. A solid major league starter is worth far more than a post-second round pick. Sure we have some nice prospects, but pitching has a way of thinning out fairly quick. Just like this year with Reyes going down and now Wainwright going on the DL. Weaver is still an unknown, Leake is inconsistent, and even Martinez struggles more than you want for an ace.

Ironically our fifth starter, Wacha, and Lynn are pitching better than anyone the last month or so. Lynn has been pretty consistent all year, and is a horse. He has a lot of value so we either need to keep him and commit to signing him, or get at least a top-100 prospect and other lower risk potential in return.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals have three pitchers that can take over for Lynn – Reyes, Weaver and Flaherty…they will also probably have Hudson, Gallen and Gomber near MLB-ready…

You either trade Lynn at the deadline (the smart move given the Cardinals record and the ability to control what you get back), or you give him a QO and hope he declines it and take your post-second round pick.

You don’t want him playing out one year on a QO and the Cardinals don’t need to sign him to a multi-year deal.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

So, if the Yankees don’t get Sonny Gray, their top options appear to be Jaime Garcia or Lance Lynn…
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2724527-lance-lynn-jaime-garcia-reportedly-on-yankees-trade-radar

I’d be happy getting Nick Solak, Miguel Andujar or Jorge Mateo back from the Yankees…

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Hoping for my phone to vibrate with an alert “Lance Lynn pulled from today’s start with a tummy ache”

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Minnesota turned a one week rental of Jaime Garcia into the Yankees 22nd ranked prospect (Minnesota’s 16th now) and a lefty reliever….

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

So, the Yankees were motivated to do this trade, in part, to clear space from the 40-man to protect players from the Rule 5 draft in the offseason…

“Enns, a 26-year-old lefty, was on the 40-man, but was not expected to stay on it this winter, which means he would have been available to every team without the Yankees getting a return. Littell had to be placed on the 40-man roster this winter or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft, and he was considered a borderline decision.”

http://nypost.com/2017/07/30/yankees-get-a-starter-roster-space-and-a-full-sonny-gray-focus/

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

A front office turning side pieces into at least something…. what a concept! Do all the other GM’s hate Mo (who is still running things regardless of his title) and that’s why he can’t make transactions like this?

The Cards don’t need a full reboot, just an unplug, wait 10 seconds and plug back in type of scenario. They are not going to win with DeJong, Gyorko, Yadi at 3, 4, 5….. But having 25 capable pitchers and 15 OF’s in the next few years does a lot of good, when 25 at most can be on the 40 man.

Make deals even if they aren’t perfect MO!!

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Yeah – it’s amazing you can actually trade fringe 40 man roster types for something you need at the moment rather than losing them for nothing in the offseason…

I don’t think it is other teams hate Mo, I think it’s just that the Cardinals are unwilling to budge from their 1:1 trade ratio, and Mo feels more comfortable losing players to the Rule 5 than trading multiple players for upgrades…

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I’d trade four 5’s for a 9.5 any day…..

I’m not going to write a long post about who they have to protect or lose, but there are roughly 60 that need to be squeezed into 40….. 5 = 1 and another 5 = 1. Then who do the Padres take? S

To Bill DeWitt: I sell to big ass forture 2000 accounts every single day, and YTD I’m making a 38% margin, please accept the same, 38% has given my wife our view, her car and my…. well I didn’t get anything, but she doesn’t complain anymore which is payment enough. So please accept 38% and get the fans someone they can cheer for again…. Gyorko just makes me want to go have a hot dog, a footlong one, with cheese, and chili, and……. ketchup

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Well looks like Lynn won’t be traded before the deadline since if he was then he wouldn’t be pitching today…

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I wouldnt go that far…

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Could be an interesting next 18-19 hours. Then again, I am not expecting anything. The only thing I would like to see is Stanton to St. Louis.

r/Rat

bccran
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Ozuna would work.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It looks like the front office was not impressed with the return they would get for Lynn. He had been putting up consistently strong starts, so we are not seeing what is considered equal value in return.

Sometimes deals can work out after the deadline, but I would think the Cardinals are now looking at working out a deal with Lynn to keep him here. I am okay with that, as he is a solid number 2-3 starter who usually keeps you in the game.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I love this post for numerous reasons.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I think it is more likely that they just don’t want to send the signal to the team and the fan base that they are out of it.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

… Which is moronic.

UConn Card
    UConn Card

Paid - Annual

I agree with your take, mike.

I’m happy to keep Lynn as long as he’s extended.

As far as what Cardinals’ management is thinking at the trade deadline, posts far more reflect the poster’s mindset and viewpoint of management than it does what they’re actually doing. We’re all talking in a vacuum.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Fair but it doesnt take rocket science to see why I say it.

Sometimes those mindsets are right and trying to calm and minimize is just flat wrong.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ah, but extend Lynn for how many years and at what annual salary?

My personal belief has not changed in years. Lynn will fetch more money and years as a free agent than the Cards would ever give him. In my view, the only question at this point is trade vs. qualifying offer and the latter route will be pretty much confirmed if he is not dealt today.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years