Lance Lynn trade thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Lance Lynn trade thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I wanted to have a place to share this as it impacts Lynn’s value. Here is a rumor that the Royals are interested – if the Cards decide to trade.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

The question then becomes who would we want for him, I don’t know enough about the Royals to know who we’d want back…

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Do the Royals even have anything the Cards would want in a trade? They have a really poor system (no top 100 guys) and I think the Cards would be fools to trade Lynn for less than a first round pick type talent, which is what they’d get by hanging on to him and letting him go with a QO, right? I hope they don’t get a Jaime Garcia yield on this one; that would stink.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

No, the Cardinals would be getting a compensatory pick after the 2nd round

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was searching around and found this info regarding draft pick compensation:

A non-market disqualified Revenue Sharing Payee Club shall receive a selection immediately following the first round of the draft if the player signs a contract with a total guarantee of $50 million or more.

Now, I can’t find the official list but since the Cards are in the small market list for competitive balance picks, wouldn’t they be part of the “non disqualified list”? I read that the Braves and Astros now no longer are one of the revenue sharing list and that there are 13 teams left but no info on who the 13 are…?

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

The Cardinals do not receive revenue sharing, so they will receive a pick after the second round

vegasjim
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The attachment explains the compensation for team losing a player or signing a player who had a QO going forward.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/2017-qualifying-offer-expected-to-be-worth-roughly-18mm.html

858booyah
    Participant

Free

You know I thought about this last night. I could see them hold teams feet to the fire knowing they can still hold on to him and get a 2nd round pick if he gets paid. We all know how bowtie lost his picks this year and wants to recoup them.

The Royals really have no one I’d consider. Maybe Junis and the kid Kahlil Mack would be possible but my thing would be who else could we dump on them? Might as well take out the trash at once.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

We’ll see what the Braves get for Garcia. I doubt we’ll get that much better of a return for Lynn…

PadsFS
    Participant

I think Lynn is much more valuable than Garcia. I feel like Garcia’s arm could fall off at any moment.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The results this season are not close. Garcia is league average while Lynn is 29% above (ERA+). If you prefer FIP, Lynn is one full run better.

Lynn would have a shot at a qualifying offer this fall, while there is almost zero chance Jaime would receive one.

PadsFS
    Participant

Also it looks like the Twins are backing off Garcia due to his injury history.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Maybe Girsch is a better negotiator than Mozeliak, but after seeing what the Cardinals got from the Braves for Garcia and Adams, unless a bidding war breaks out, I don’t see the Cardinals extracting maximum value for Lynn…I am sure other teams have studied Mozeliak’s trading patterns and will probably offer something comparable to what he would offer them…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Lynn should be traded if they have no interest in long term contract end of story

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Translation: “come get him boys…”

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t want to trade Lynn unless we get a really good prospect back. I would like to see the Nationals make an offer to the Cardinals for Lynn, and others, that would include Robles and Kieboom. I’d rather watch Lynn pitch in St. Louis for the rest of the year if we don’t get an offer something like that. We already have enough good prospects. Get a great prospect or let him stay here and pitch and win games.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I agree has to be better than 2nd rounder or no point..

But the “we have prospects” argument is a nonstarter. It is a numbers game. More wins.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Are you saying that the more prospects we have, the better the chance of finding a future star player? If not, tell me what the you mean by numbers game. I’m not arguing anything. Just wanting to understand.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Yes. Also injuries, depth and future trades.

PadsFS
    Participant

Cardinals2016

Maybe Girsch is a better negotiator than Mozeliak, but after seeing what the Cardinals got from the Braves for Garcia and Adams, unless a bidding war breaks out, I don’t see the Cardinals extracting maximum value for Lynn…I am sure other teams have studied Mozeliak’s trading patterns and will probably offer something comparable to what he would offer them…

What do you think was appropriate value for Garcia? We got Gant, Ellis, and Dykstra…Gant is pitching pretty well in Memphis and looks like a long-term asset in the least. Ellis is doing a lot better in Springfield than he did earlier in the year. May have something there too. Meanwhile, the Braves got Huascar Ynoa, a 19-year old in rookie ball, described as “a nice, low-level flier with a chance to max out as a league-average starter.” (Yawn)

Then you have Adams who didn’t have anyplace to fit on this team and wasn’t hitting well either at the time. We got a $1M bonus kid that hopefully can play 3B one day. He is at least in A-ball and one of the younger players on the team.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would be disappointed with any trade with Kansas City. I have no interest in any of their minor leaguers including Mondesi who had stalled out at the major league level. The only regular major league player I would like is Hosmer so we would have to do something about Carpenter.

Duffy appears to be the strongest starter but I don’t see any advantage in picking him up. I don’t know the contract status of either Duffy or Hosmer and I know that would play a role in any deal.

I would rather count on our scouting department to select a better second round draft pick any minor league guy we could pick up from Kansas City.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

I really really hope that those teams just call and make an offer

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 72 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.