Junior Fernandez

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Junior Fernandez

This topic contains 33 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Avatar Cardinals27 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Junior is pitching lights out lately. HIs last 6 games:

13 1/3 IP, 4 hits, 0 runs, 1 walk, 21 strikeouts\
    A 21:1 K/BB rate and a 1.5 groundball/flyball rate

He truly MIGHT have a chance to make it to St Lou this year.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

WOW! Those are incredible numbers. Will be interesting to see how he matures and what kind of player he ends up being.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

If the Cardinals want extra bullpen help why don’t they add Fernandez to the 40 man roster and call him up?

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

If they don’t make any additions in the next 8 hours, I would bet that happens very quickly. They at least need to try and trim up the 40 man today regardless of anything major.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

By all means call up Fernandez ASAP. It just occurred to me, since they won’t be back until September 1st minimally, and they need roster spots, they can put REyes and Gomber on the 60 day DL.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It could be because he’s a trade target for other teams? After today we will know I guess…

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I hope we don’t trade him.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree, GC…with the caveat that I’d be ok with including him in a deal for a starter with team control. If it’s a rental I’ll take the 6 years of Fernandez.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Regardless of the player, I’d have to assume Carlson, Gorman, Knizner and Fernandez are untouchable for any rental. The only way I’d see is it would be a package rental for MadBum and Smith which would drastically improve them in 2019, that’s the only way I see them giving any of them up.

Two hours away, the Giants need to start the sale and get this moving!

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Regarding Reyes and Gomber, as I have reminded before, minor league players would have to be called up to the major leagues before going on the big-league 60-day IL. That means they get MLB pay and service time while injured. Teams usually avoid this.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

Dodgers are calling up their top pitching prospect from AAA, while cardinals continue to trot out Webb and Mayers

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Webb is fine… Mayers should be replaced with Fernandez.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Ponce should have been given a shot in the pen. His stuff might play better for one inning.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If injuries hit, they may need Ponce de Leon to start again as the Memphis cupboard is pretty bare. It would be hard to build him back up again if he moves to a reliever’s routine.

However, at least at this point, he is not listed among upcoming Memphis starters for the next five days. OF course, that could change.

GameCard
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I think that it is time to bring him up.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Can he hit?

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Merging the new Junior Fernandez thread into the old Junior Fernandez thread.

Please remember and use the thread on this same subject that you already started rather than open a second one. Thank you.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Junior Fernandez is only 22 years old. Lately he’s been walking almost 5 batters per 9 innings pitched. I’m not saying they won’t bring him up. But it sure doesn’t look like he’s quite ready yet.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fernandez’s walk rate is a little high, but hitters are hitting .174 against him for 2019. I see no reason why he isn’t ready for the Cardinals. And he is an upgrade to Mayers. How Helsley fares will tell the tale. And it is too bad we didn’t upgrade our second lefty. Webb simply isn’t good enough, unless we carry 3 lefties.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Mike Mayers outrighted to Memphis and Adalberto Mejia DFA’d

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It’s annoying the Cards’ FO thinks it’s wise to hold in-game low-probability tryouts during the midst of a close pennant run.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Over/under on the number of appearances before fans are clamoring to send him back to Memphis…5.5?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Depends on the results.

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

He’s pitched the last two days for Memphis so I’d be surprised if he pitches tonight.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro, was your “in-game, low-probability tryout” comment about Mejia or Fernandez? The former, I agree, though his poor numbers preceded him. The latter, not.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years