Jose Martinez…

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jose Martinez…

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • Author
    GameCard
    Participant

Free

It is not obvious to me or any clear-thinking person that he is a super-sub. That is total nonsense. He is the most productive position player that we have…you do not call your best player a sub. That is absurd. He is a multi-positional starter.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It is not obvious to me or any clear-thinking person that he is a super-sub. That is total nonsense. He is the most productive position player that we have…you do not call your best player a sub. That is absurd. He is a multi-positional starter.

If he’s not the primary starter at any position, that makes him a….? (I’ll let you fill in the blank)

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Semantics aside, he will play a lot.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

stl25, …super sub!!!!

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Multi-positional starter!!!!!!!!!!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

Fox Midwest showed some Cardinal games last night and I TIVOed the 3rd of 4 Cubs games in ChiTown near the end of the season. It was the one where Hudson walked 4 in the first inning and gave them 3 runs before he was taken out in the 4th (but he got a hit too). Because I thought this was one of Jose Martinez good games at Chicago I watched it this afternoon but every time the Cards would get ahead they would skip and show the Cards behind, skip again and show them ahead. They did that twice missing at least 4 of the Cardinals runs but they made sure they showed CMart pitch the 9th (3rd day in a row) and get the save 9-8. I was kinda burned that they kept skipping the good parts but who am I to complain about a game in December that I knew we won. Edman played 2B in that game, hit a triple in the 1st inning and scored. Carp was at third but replaced by Munoz about midway but the more I see Munoz, the more I am convinced there is better available. Anyway, it was a good Christmas on TCN and lots of posts even the day after.
    PS: Also, that was the game where Tony Kemp struck out but the 2b ump called a balk on Gallegos (CS call) and then Kemp hit a 2 run dinger.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I would carry Sosa over Munoz.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Agree GC,

Hopefully Sosa, the “supersub” Edman, Weiters resigns and the fallout of the OF situation are the 2020 bench. It would be great to have Ravelo too, but unless JMart gets moved I don’t see how that could work.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t get wanting to bring back Wieters and not letting Knizner being the backup. Wieters wasn’t that good.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

My reasoning for Weiters is simple, he was more than passable and was one of the best backups I can recall. Yadi isn’t going to yield much time to Knizner so instead of sitting on the bench and potentially losing confidence and value, hitting and catching everyday in Memphis would be beneficial for him and the Cards.

In no way am I saying anything negative about Knizner, and if Yadi weren’t here I think he could step in and produce nicely. I just don’t think it helps anyone with him sitting on the bench.

Weiters was above passable and already knows the staff which shouldn’t be overlooked.

If Yadi goes to the IL, they should call Knizner up and start 80%+ of the time.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

All qualifying MLB hitters with a .950 OPS or better last season:

Yelich, Trout, Bregman, Cruz, Bellinger, Rendon, Marte, Springer, Arenado.

Nine hitters across 30 teams. That is it.

Forget super sub. This is superstar territory.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Yadi goes to the IL, they should call Knizner up and start 80%+ of the time.

You and I both know that wouldn’t happen. If Wieters is on the team, he’d become the primary starter in case of injury. Shildt has shown his hand on this one.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Knizner = Kelly II >>>>>> Adios

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, if Herrera continues to develop this season, I would agree that trading Knizner would be a good move. I don’t consider it a bad thing if Knizner could be used as part of a deal to make the Cards better at another position of need. That is precisely how Kelly was used, and one year in, that trade seems to be working out for both teams.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

I guess by some definitions we had 8 single position starters and 7 multi position starters… and no subs.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 90 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years