Jordan Walker

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jordan Walker

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Where does Edman, Yepez, Donovan, etc fit in when the 2 Ws arrive?

Pre Winn would be a hell of a lineup:

SS Edman
    2b Gorman
    1B Goldschmidt
    3b Arenado
    DH Walker
    LF Burleson/O’Neill
    RF Carlson
    Cf Bader
    C Herrera

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

C27, that is a beauty of a lineup, but I do like Gorman behind Goldy and Arenado because he’s a lefty, especially with the 3 batter rule. That lineup doesn’t even include Donovan.

I do see some trimming coming either at the deadline or in the offseason. O’neill, Bader, Noot and Yepez could all be moved in the right deal. Even Carlson for a young TOR, cost controlled SP.

Who says no in a Carlson for Zac Gallen swap? Gallen has 3.5 years of control left and Carlson 4.5.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Never trade a switch-hitting player that can hit.

bccran
    Participant

Carlson is only 23. IMHO if any are going to be traded it would be DeJong, O’Neill, Sosa, and possibly Bader.
    DeJong can be a FA in 2024. Bader in 2024. O’Neill in 2025. They have trade value now. The future is both here and arriving soon in Carlson, Edman, Gorman, Yepez, Donovan, Walker, Winn, Burleson, and Herrera from a position standpoint. Counting 2022, Goldy is here for 3 years and Arenado is here for 6 years.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

GC and BCCran, they are obviously going to need an experienced starter next year and I don’t see them spending the big bucks in free agency, so a trade is the most likeliest outcome.

For a Gallen or similar pitcher, with some control left, what sort of package do you think it would take. *Assuming Walker, Winn and Herrera are off the table.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman has a career 104 wRC+, so barely above average. He’s probably not as good a defender or as speedy as Winn, definitely doesn’t have the power of Gorman and even if he’s an excellent piece to have, he’s the guy most likely to bring a good return back. If I could get a high level starter for him, I’d definitely consider it.

As for bc’s suggestions, Dejong and Sosa have 0 or less trade value. O’Neill is at a low range value so he’s a far better candidate to keep (plus there’s not another defender who even comes close to his value besides Bader). Then you have Bader, who has one year left. Burleson is a DH, Walker may be a DH, Gorman is not an elite glove, and neither is Donovan. I can’t see the Cards gutting their defense just to trade guys away for almost nothing.

If I had my druthers it would look like this:

SS-Donovan/Winn eventually
    DH-Walker
    1B-Goldy
    3B-Arenado
    2B-Gorman
    LF-O’Neill
    RF-Carlson
    C-Herrera
    CF-Bader

Bench-Yepez, Burleson, Sosa, Knizner, Donovan/Winn

Edman goes to fetch a top of rotation starter. Perhaps Edman and Yepez or Burleson bring back the guy we really need to go along with Libby, Thompson, Rondon, Graceffo, and McGreevy in the wings.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Never trade a switch-hitting player that can hit.

But can Carlson really hit or is he just a switch hitting version of Stephen Piscotty?

GameCard
    Participant

Free

Anyone who suggests trading Edman is insane!!!!

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I see the future OF being: Walker-LF Bader-CF Carlson-RF

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If all prospects stay healthy and productive, some roster players will have to be moved. The only static players are Goldschmidt and Arenado. Of course injuries and dips in production will decide the roster too. And none of this will happen until 2023 or 2024. It is wonderful to have all this depth.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I project a future line-up of:
    C-Herrera
    1B-Goldschmidt
    2B-Donavan L
    SS-Edman S
    3B-Arenado
    LF-Walker
    CF-Bader
    RF-Carlson S
    DH-Gorman L
    Bench
    Knizner
    Yepez
    Sosa
    Burleson

bccran
    Participant

25 –

How many games has Donovan played at SS in his college career, minor leagues, and with the Cardinals? I believe his background is far different than Edman who was defensive SS of the year in the PAC 12.

bccran
    Participant

Humble Guess –

C – Herrera
    1B – Goldschmidt
    2B – Gorman
    SS – Edman
    3B – Arenado
    LF – Walker
    CF – Winn
    RF – Carlson
    DH – Yepez/Burleson platoon
    All Around Utility – Donovan

GameCard
    Participant

Free

I have thought of Winn in CF…I like it.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gorman will have to be platooned unless something drastic happens.

Cards667
    Participant

Free

Walker hasn’t seen any time in the OF yet, but I agree they probably need to start exploring the idea sooner rather than later, unless they just don’t think he can do it, then he’s going to be limited to DH for awhile.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There is no reason to consider moving Winn to another position yet. It might be a consideration if he struggles down the road. Walker is the likely one who will change positions.

bccran
    Participant

Winn can flat out fly, and has an unbelievable arm. If Edman is already a very good SS (and under control), why not move Winn to CF?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman can play multiple other positions and Winn has the speed and arm to be a stud at SS. I see no reason to move him. Edman is a valuable super sub who can be moved off SS quite easily. He could fill in for Gorman at 2B and Winn at SS, Arenado at 3B or any of the OF positions.

Or…if Donovan becomes the Edman v 2.0 he’s looking like, you trade Edman as a piece for a front line starter (Bieber? Nola? One of the Marlins or Rays guys?) and have very little loss on offense and a much improved rotation.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

That is nonsense. Edman should never move from SS unless he is hurt. Either turn Winn into a versatile player that can play CF or trade him.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Edman is an average to slightly above SS with an average to slightly above bat. That’s a good guy to have. Lest we forget…Dejong was in the same boat not long ago. I’m not saying that Edman is doomed to be an also ran, but you never know what will happen. If another team was to value him as a superstar like he’s looking so far this year and you can bolster your rotation with very little dropoff in future production in the lineup…I think you do it.

I think Winn is going to be a plus defender with a plus bat at SS. He’s 6 years younger than Edman and will be cheaper than Tommy for the next siz years as a result. If the Cards aren’t thinking of the math (Donovan + Winn + Top of Rotation Starter> Edman + Donovan + Edman) then they are doing a disservice to the team’s future.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

You are comparing the current WAR leader in MLB to a AA prospect that is hitting.266. No comparison. Edman is clearly better.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like Edman very much, but I don’t believe much in WAR.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At age 20, Tommy Edman was OPSing .787 at Stanford. At age 20, Masyn Winn is OPSing .832 on the doorstep to the majors. I really do like Tommy, I simply think this is probably the pinnacle for him. That’s not a bad thing, as I think he’s an above average ballplayer. He’s certainly not a guy that you say “absolutely not” if someone asks for him I’m a trade, though. And if Winn is right handed Frankie Lindor, Tommy will be moving elsewhere on the diamond, you can be sure.

bccran
    Participant

You nailed it, GameCard.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years