Jordan Walker

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Jordan Walker

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    David Martin
    Participant

Paid - Annual

seems he hasn’t plaayed for the last three games if not mistaken.
    is he injured?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He has been out 4 games counting today.

David Martin
    Participant

Paid - Annual

why is the question

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From today’s PB Notebook article.

Injury Report

Patrick Romeri: 7-day IL
    Adanson Cruz: 7-day IL
    Also, third baseman Jordan Walker has been out of the lineup the last few days with an injury that is apparently minor

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Let’s keep subscriber content for the subscribers, please. I’ll be happy to discuss on the Members board. Thanks.

bccran
    Participant

Glad to know the injury is classified as minor. Thanks for posting, blingboy. It’s good news for all TCN posters.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yeah, that was my flub Brian, sorry.

bccran
    Participant

It’s never a big flub, blingboy, when you hear information about a Cardinal player who has been injured and pass it on to all the posters at TCN. Maybe Brian would have been more comfortable if you had said “I heard from reliable sources that…..”. But you got the word out, and that’s the most important thing. Thank you for doing that.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I hope he gets back in the lineup since the Bradenton series is streamed by the home team on Milb. Also, I wonder if Jordan can play the outfield?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe he can do the magical single A to AAA move like Liberatore. Who is 0-3 as might be expected.

bccran
    Participant

It’s a slippery slope. Since there are only a few position players with true promise in the system, do you let them mature and develop at the proper pace, or do you rush them because of the obvious needs on the big club?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Great idea. In fact, we should just make all of our content and reporting free. That is how you make your living, right?

On Liberatore:

Glass half empty view – 0-3 record
    Glass half full view – 19 K/5 BB in 21 1/3 innings, 1.31 WHIP, .277 BAA

Players are regularly challenged at new levels with the goal that they work their way up to the league. If I was to try to make a point by singling out a player who seems overmatched at his new level, I would not have chosen Liberatore.

bccran
    Participant

As I said, Brian, blingboy could have worded it differently. But he got the word out to all posters which I think was a good thing to do. You might have considered doing that yourself in this particular special case because of the importance of Walker as a red hot prospect.

Liberatore could see the majors this season. He’s not being pushed too hard. He got a lot of valuable experience at Springfield camp last season and at ST 2021. The temptation to push maybe too hard is with guys like Walker and Burleson.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Is Liberatore 2021 the Carlson of 2020? High expectations, yep. But each Prospect is different and we have to rely on our MiLB coaching staffs to get it right. Carlson was constantly challenged since his GCL days. It worked out for him as we have now have our best two-way OFer who will hopefully be here for a long time, As our other young OFers have struggled with hitting and being ILed, Carlson along with Edman can look forward to providing us with a very good 1-2 punch at the top of the order.

Its different for pitching prospects that are harder to project. I know that he is our top prospect but you’ll just have to be more patient with Liberatore. Don’t forget that Carlson was pressed into MLB because of the number of double-headers last season. He struggled but now has confidence in his abilities. Sometimes things work out for us.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bccran, sometimes we get information informally and only share it selectively as it may be incomplete or not confirmed and I don’t want it to be spread. I am not in need of advice, thanks.

bccran
    Participant

None of us are perfect, Brian. We all can use advice at times. It’s the human condition.

bccran
    Participant

Apparently Walker has discomfort in his left wrist, and is day to day. Hope it’s
    nothing serious.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Was it Baseball Prospectus that ranked Walker as our top prospect? I thought maybe next year, but one could make an argument for it. He had quite the year for a 19 year old. And here’s the next question, if he continues his progress, what is the defensive position for him? I always thought he may move to the outfield, but all of a sudden we are flush with outfielders. 1st and 3rd base should be Goldschmidt and Arenado for years to come. DH may be where he starts, but Gorman, Yepez, Burleson, Nootbaar will need ABs eventually. A trade (perhaps for a starter or closer) May open things up. No matter what having excess prospects is never a problem. We sure could have used more ready prospects in 2021.

Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think he’ll end up at 1st base. He’s still a few years away so timing-wise he might
    be ready when Goldy starts to slow down. His size will make him a nice big target for
    for the other infielders.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He’s still a few years away so timing-wise he might
    be ready when Goldy starts to slow down

Is he really a few years away, though? He’s probably going to be at Springfield next year, so he’s theoretically almost on the doorstep. I would expect him in 2023 at the latest.

Michael Dusablon
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We’ll see……I’m thinking a 2024 debut. It’ll be exciting, whenever it is.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

When Walker arrives might depend on whether the DH comes in. He could easily be in Memphis some time in 2022, so sometime in 2023 for his debut is plausible. Assuming he doesn’t bog down in the upper levels. He could DH and give Goldy and RA a day off. He could do the same in 2024, Goldy’s last contract year.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Since Walker (and Winn) have moved much farther than was expected of high school draftees, what does 2023 have in store for them.

Would Walker get moved to the outfield? Maybe, but he would make a heck of a DH. But it would make sense to give him some outfield time at Memphis.

Now Winn would create a logjam at 2nd and short.

Not sure how this plays out, but it is a delightful prospect logjam to have, as perhaps some spare parts get traded for pitching. Granted I would not trade any of our top 5 prospects.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

I don’t believe he would exercise it, but doesn’t Arenado have another opt out this offseason? I believe he said “he loves it in STL and won’t” but you never know 100%. I wouldn’t mess with the position change until at least next spring.

I’ve only watched bits and pieces of his season, but would Jose Reyes be a potential comp for Winn?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This might be sacrilege, but if Walker and Winn continue to look ready in 2023, the guy who might be the one who could fetch a haul would be Tommy Edman. He’s an excellent ballplayer, but I suspect with Winn and Gorman up the middle we could replace his production.

If Edman could bring us a controllable starter, I’d have to consider it.

As for Walker, he might need a little time to develop over the fence pop, but I think he could be an average or better hitter at MLB next year. DH/OF sounds like a good spot.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years