How does the CMartinez saga play out?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum How does the CMartinez saga play out?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    14NyquisT
    Participant

The Carlos Martinez story could have many endings. I don’t have a good idea about his future but I’d love to hear what others are thinking.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carlos Martinez has been placed on the 10-day DL, with an oblique strain. John Brebbia has been recalled from Memphis. Matt Bowman is returned to Memphis with Miles Mikolas back from paternity leave. Luke Weaver is the 26th man for the doubleheader.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep, I figured he had to be. This team has a large number of lat and oblique injuries that would seem to be avoidable with better strength/stretching programs. Very odd.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The simple facts of the calendar indicate Martinez will have to miss at least two turns. I get the team is trying to downplay it, but they already know this, so why not be straightforward about it?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He plays out his 5 more years here, wins 75+ games, ERA around 3-3.20, and people complain because he’s not Pedro Martinez.

That’s how his career has basically gone so far, and I don’t see it being a lot different down the road. The Cards seem to like him and his teammates seem to like him, so I don’t see why the team would move on from him unless they decide to tank.

If Reyes, Flaherty or an outside pitcher becomes a capital A-Ace of the staff, he’s a perfect number 2. Or he can just keep being a top 15-20 pitcher and be perfectly worth the money he’s being paid.

There’s an outside shot that the Cards let him be the pitcher he naturally is and quit messing with his mechanics, and he takes a leap into Waino/Carpenter territory but it’s not the worst thing if he doesn’t.

ILcardfan
    Participant

Free

I have a slightly different opinion of him after attending the game in cincy last monday. During BP he had the most interaction with the fans by far, tossed multiple balls to kids. I definitely see him as less of a punk after that and am willing to reserve judgement until he gets fully healthy again. After all he was pretty dominant early in the year before he got hurt.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Hopefully these nagging injuries are not something that leads to a long-term layoff.

As for Carlos, I love the guy’s talent. He’s a character, and anytime a guy’s personality is not quite in line with what most of society sees as acceptable for a given profession, people get annoyed. But the world would be a dull place if was all were robotic clones of each other. You gotta have a little flash now and then to keep things fun.

In professional sports, you sometimes walk a fine line between maintaining the professionalism of the organization while having a wild-child with talent plying his trade. The Cardinals have had a few of these characters, most notably Dizzy Dean a couple of generations ago. They can drive management crazy, but bring more value than cost, both in dollars and intangible worth.

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

mike,

If some think Carlos is colorful, I can’t even imagine their reaction to Andújar. He would make Martínez look boring.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the colorful/crazy character/behavior player is producing a lot of crazy gets overlooked.The minute said player stops producing the “crazy odd’ gets brought to the forefront.It might not be fair but that the way life works a lot.Remember all the crazy characters the early 70s Oakland As had on those teams……they won the World Series 3 years in a row.A lot of ‘crazy’ was tolerated as long as said players were producing.Stop producing and you got traded to Cleveland(the pits back then mostly).

UConn Card

Paid - Annual

Quite true, Bw. Pham is still here if he was still producing (but that’s for a different thread)

14NyquisT
    Participant

Fowler stopped hitting in ’17. Its August ’18 and they are still running a .175 hitter out to RF every night. That needs an explanation other than they (FO) is waiting for him to start hitting because he is costing us a huge amount of cash. They should rectify the fact that he hurts the team and, of course, there’s his contract. Get rid of him and bury the contract… let’s move on. Mo, you goofed. Show us you are a man and admit it.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t really view the CMart situation as a saga. He is a talented yet sometimes inmature pitcher. When healthy he is a very solid number 2 guy in the rotation. Nothing wrong with that. If there is a problem it is that some fans view him as a number one and then get frustrated when he doesn’t perform like a number one.

He may be the number one guy in our rotation but I don’t think that means he is really an ace overall, at least not in my book. If he can stay healthy and if we can keep our expectations realistic, then there is no reason he shouldn’t complete his very team friendly contract in St. Louis.

CMart, Mikolas, Wacha, Flaherty, Weaver, Reyes, and Hudson looks pretty darn solid to me for next year.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

If some think Carlos is colorful, I can’t even imagine their reaction to Andújar. He would make Martínez look boring.

Good one, UConn. Yeah, Joaquin was something else. He had this thing where he would sometimes do a little mock pistol shoot with his hand after striking guys out. He certainly had a flair in everything he did. He would also bat left-handed sometimes, and right-handed sometimes. He was not a classic switch-hitter, he would just hit the way he felt best, and take a huge cut at the ball. Now and then he would actually square one up and hit it out.

Another guy cut from a different cloth, as they say.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

gscottar:

Sorry, can’t see it.

Martinez is always one pitch away from the DL
    Mikolas is good
    Wacha is injury prone as we can see now
    Flaherty and Weaver have come down to Earth.
    Reyes could be injured in ST and be out for the year again. You can’t count on him for anything.
    Hudson is a kid…who knows anything about him

So, is there potential? Sure. Is it reliable? No.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlos looked like he was wincing leaving his last start. I hope he is back soon, but his future is and too important to rush him. This makes me think of our consistent bad luck with players like the Darryl Kile and Oscar Tavares tragedies. Ankiel and even Alan Benes could have been an anchor our rotation for years. The Alex Reyes saga. Too bad Scipio Spinks couldn’t have lived in this medical era where pitchers can come back from arm trouble.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Martinez is scheduled to pitch for Springfield on Friday and Sunday in his first two rehab appearances.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

not that i want to see CMart in the pen going forward BUT Rasiel Iglesias did it for the Reds and has become pretty dominant with his high end starter stuff a t the back end…

they always seemed similar to me

nevertheless, i want CMart in the rotation next year…i coudl care less if he fulfills everyone’s desires as for what a #1 should be or perform

HE isnt being paid like the other no doubt #1’s out there so who cares? We have Mikolas pitching great, Jack growing up well, Wacha hopefully getting back to being Wacha we haev seen the last 2 years, and so many other potential guys we can be very dangerous…
    Before CMart’s 1st injury he was Cy Young like…since his injuries he hasnt been able to get back to that, probably needs the offseason..and the FO probably knows that..the pen is an easy way to keep him pitching and competing without putting the strain on him for extended periods

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

wagee12
    Participant

And Mr. jager, I don’t want to see him in St. Louis next year. Trade him for a bat this winter. The guy is jello from the shoulders up and he is never, ever going to be an ace for any pitching staff. Move him while he still has somewhere close to his maximum value. Thankyee

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

One of the best in the league year after year in RISP situations doesn’t scream “jello from the ears up.”

He’s not going to be traded no matter how much you overreact, so you may as well just accept it and enjoy watching him be one of the top 15-20 pitchers in baseball the next 5 years.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sorry, the proper quote was “from the shoulders up,” not “from the ears up.” The point remains…Carlos is the best pitcher on the staff and it’d be ridiculous to trade him at the lowest point of his value.

14NyquisT
    Participant

IMO, by opening day ’19 Flaherty will be our #1 starter. Hudson will also be in the rotation… and you can fill out the rest any other way you want. CMartinez-Gomber-Wacha-Weaver-Mikolas-Reyes-Poncedeleon, that’s 7 for remaining 3 spots + a #6. We have some depth there but depth usually whittles down each Spring.

If there are teams pursuing CMart, Wacha or Mikolas and they give back some higher value, we can move any of them. But let’s win the division this season before thinking that far ahead.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.