Harrison Bader

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Harrison Bader

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    GameCard
    Participant

Free

He has been optioned to Memphis.

GameCard
    Participant

Free

And called up Lane Thomas.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Maybe he can get his groove back. Great on defense

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This had to happen. Or Bader would have wound up feeling defeated and deflated because of his sinking offense. With the kind of drive and the kind of enthusiasm he’s got, it’s hard to imagine that he wouldn’t make it back. I hope it’s sooner rather than later.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

He needs to go back and see his butler that he had growing up.

Anybody want to venture a guess as to what his butler called him?

r/Esteemed Rat

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

Master Harrison?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

WOAH WOAH WOAH!!!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Bader still has the potential to be a starter but he has some serious work to do on offense. Right now he is Peter Bourjos 2.0.

RememberDiz
    Participant

Free

Bader is a tremendous talent. He has shown that he does have some ability to hit. Now, it would be nice if we had a hitting instructor who could teach him how to be a Matty Alou type hitter. With his speed, he doesn’t need to hit home runs. If he just puts the ball in play every time up, he will hit 330. Just touch it and run. Never swing and miss.

We used to have hitters who valued contact, never struck out. Bader needs to understand his talent. He is too valuable to swing hard and hit a home run once every twenty at bats. If he just gets on base, he can disrupt the defense. Steal second. Steal third. Turn every play into difficult decisions for the infielders. A bunt may become a double.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Hitting a baseball is challenging even when you can recognize the pitch and location. It becomes extremely difficult when you can’t. Some of Bader’s swings tell you where he is. In fact, some of his takes might be even more telling. This is harder to fix than other technical/form issues. It’s why he might not ever get it.

It’s been painful watching him bat, especially with runners on 3rd and less than two outs. Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve seen a look of pending doom on his face. He’s not in a good place mentally with a bat in his hands.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

TCN subscribers – please remember to check the Members board regularly. Those who had, knew this move was coming this morning.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Bader looked like a good prospect coming up – solid defense, speed and some pop. But he is totally lost on offense. As was mentioned, he will take potches right down the middle, and swing over pitches down in the zone.

His swing looks a little mechanical to me, which is cause for concern. Maybe a trip to Soulsville will help him, but he may need to start fresh with another organization.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Put Thomas in the lineup Tuesday. He needs to be given a chance.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Great defense in CF will prob be a black hole as THomas will most likely be the 4th OF, awesome…

and for those calling for him to be traded, that would be the dumbest move ever…lets trade a player with no value just to do it…brilliant!

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<Now, it would be nice if we had a hitting instructor who could teach him how to be a Matty Alou type hitter. >

Well Mark Budaska is the guy he had at Memphis and the current hitting coach is highly regarded in MLB. Both have worked with him but I think he is really frustrated with maybe too much instruction. It appears his main problem is pitch recognition and that is not something easily taught. I sure hope Harrys Son comes around as his defense is superlative. But then we had Pete Kozma with the same problem but his BA was higher than Bader’s and he was shipped out. I hope Bader is easier to correct than Carpenter has been.

PadsFS
    Participant

Hopefully, Bader can get back on track. He has a good bat and can surely produce at some point again. He was a very balanced hitter coming up. He does seem like a widely inconsistent player going forward. It’s nice that Fowler is able to play so well again to cover for Bader as Bader did for Fowler last year.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Fowler getting back more to his norm has saved center field from being a huge gap in this club. He has gotten on base at a decent clip, and played quite well on defense in center.

Hopefully Bader gets his groove back, but so far this season he has been about as bad on offense as one can be. And as I mentioned, his swing looks a little mechanical to me. He seems to swing in the same place every time, rather than where the ball is located. But the pitch recognition issue is the biggest flaw in this game. Too often he is not able to pull the trigger on hittable pitches.

His scouting report right now would be a little like an offensive version of the classic report submitted about Hector Lopez back in the day – for Bader it would go “Can’t hit pitches up and down in the zone; does not swing at pitches down the middle”.

14NyquisT
    Participant

I’m thinking that this should have happened sooner. Bader has really been struggling and needs to get back to regular playing time. Some people suggest that he won’t be back…. a missed opportunity. He is a fighter and I believe he will be back as a started in ’20.

Thomas is up for now. Getting Arozarena on the 40-man has become more difficult as we are now at 41 and one will be going today.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know he isnt on the 40man… but Randy deserves this call up and the whole “if it were a longer stint” thing is window dressing IMO

Randy would be great to try at leadoff too

Edman wasnt on the 40man and didnt have a direct route to playing time and he wasnt putting up the numbers Randy is…. Randy deserves the call, so does Adolis Garcia for that matter…and he IS on the 40man…Ravelo can go back and we can use Knizner as the backup 1bman if needed and call Raveo if something very bad happens

an OF of OZuna/Randy/Fowler is pretty good…especially with JMart and ONeill right there to help ease Ozuna in and spell Fowler…we have to protect Randy anyways

Edman/DeJong/Wong/Gold/Yadi is a good infield especially with Knizner/Wieters and Munoz filling in wherever

If we pull a Oscar MErcado on Randy right now i will be pretty upset…depending on what we get i might be eased somewhat, but not giving the guy a shot who obviously is looking good is a mistake…especially when we need hitters

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny, I don’t know who is saying Bader won’t be back, but I bet they aren’t anyone with any credibility. The only caveats, obviously, would be if he is traded away in the next two days or is injured.

Otherwise, at a minimum, he will be recalled no later than September when rosters expand. (Memphis is clearly not going into the playoffs.) I would give it 99 percent odds. In other words, the chances of it NOT happening are so insignificant it shouldn’t get any consideration.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Hoping Harrison can get the swing fixed, figured out, he is so fun to watch roam CF tracking fly balls down.

1982 willie
    Participant

I am a big bader fan but its clear from watching him at the plate that he is lost there. he has really seemed to start trying to guess hit which im not a fan of especially with two strikes. I don’t know if its bad coaching or he just lost all confidence. one thing ill say it never affected his defense and effort which is more than I can say about a few of the cardinals still on the roster. its why I wouldn’t have sent him down unless its just short term to get him back on track and more confident. hopefully he gets his mojo back. with his speed, effort and defense, he just needs to be a decent hitter to get back with the club. most of the other outfielders are just that barely decent but without all those tangibles.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Maybe the demotion is what he needs to get his mind right at the plate.

I think he can be a solid player. I don’t think he’s an .800 ops player ever. Don’t think DeJong will be either but both are impressive defeneders. DeJong has really become a solid defensive SS. They’ll hang their heads on defense especially Bader. If he turned into an Enciarte type player we’ll be lucky but that means we need production from out corner outfielders and infielders. That is what is obvious.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

HB stats comparison Cardinals/Memphis 2019:

AVG .239/.317 OBP .323/.427 SLG .394/.698 OPS .717/1.125

I hope this is more than a hot streak. And if has improved his overall plate discipline and hitting approach, can whoever coached him coach Carp?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Your slash line from Memphis is correct but not St. Louis.

Bader’s slash line in St. Louis is: .198/.319/.351/.671

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.