Fire Schildt? Yes or No?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Fire Schildt? Yes or No?

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Talking about player value, this stuff is easy to look up on baseball reference. Arenado’s WAR so far is over 80% due to offense. He is actually doing better on offense for us than the average of his Rockies’ years. It just does not appear to be as impressive because the entire league is down offensively relative to recent seasons.

We can discuss who is more important to the club, which will be largely personal opinion. But take either Waino or Nolie off this club without equal value, and we are a very bad ball club.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

My remark had to do with the added tag of “tops for offense”. Obviously, Brian didn’t intend to reference only offense based on his later remark. Euro does bring up a valid point about the uncertainty of valuing defense in WAR.

BikeMike, when I looked up the WAR values for offense and defense for Arenado, the individual values of both total up more than the overall WAR.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

forsch, WAR (BR at least) does not get WAR by adding defensive and offensive WAR. At l east one factor (positional adjustment I believe) would get double counted by doing that. So, WAR is usually less than the sum of offensive and defensive WAR.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

So how does all this relate to firing Shildt?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So how does all this relate to firing Shildt?

Well, he is an organization yes man, part and parcel of the metrics obsessed wack-a-doodles who have somehow managed to gut one of the more proficient player development systems in baseball.

bccran
    Participant

Patience with the player development system. It will be fine. Some really exciting prospects coming through the ranks. Playing up.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Who are those guys bccran? I know about Liberatore and Gorman. Who else do we have coming that might contribute starting in 2023?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I keep forgetting about the presumed spontaneous healing. It is rational to believe these guys will turn out different.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Trying to come up with a stat that purports to compare a pitcher’s value to the team with a position player’s value is rubbish. Apples and oranges.

It was a simple question. One to consider the team’s present situation. What would the rotation be like if Wainwright didn’t fill Flaherty’s spot as the anchor and what would the lineup be like without Arenado batting third. It wasn’t meant to get the advanced stats guys in a tizzy and use one stat to be the be-all answer. Now what’s your opinion was what I was looking for.

bccran
    Participant

Rats –

Gorman
    Liberatore
    Thompson
    Oviedo
    Rondon
    Thomas
    Warner
    Yepez
    Nootbaar
    Plummer
    Burleson
    Perez
    Herrera
    Walker

To name few.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well done Euro, it is Rpos that would be double counted by adding oWAR and dWAR.

Sabre Nerd alert!
    😜

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If we get more Rpos that the other guys we win, right?

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll let you research it since its publicly available. Dont want to force anything on anyone.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years