Fire Schildt? Yes or No?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Fire Schildt? Yes or No?

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    bccran
    Participant

If Schildt is in trouble, it’s only because he’s starting to show cracks in his demeanor both in post game interviews and on the field.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Shildt led the Cardinals to the 2019 NLCS. Was that team dramatically more talented than this one? No it wasn’t but it had more depth and wasn’t hit quite as hard with injuries. Perhaps the message has become stale, I don’t know, but my guess is that this roster was just not fortified as strongly as it needed to be.

I would have no problem canning Albert and Maddux though.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree with you completely, gscottar. I think you hit the nail on the head. Shildt is a decent manager. Maybe not the best in the game, but we can win with him. I think Maddux and Albert are in hot water, and rightfully so.

bccran
    Participant

I’ve seen Shildt in person at a lunch and he’s like a mild mannered reporter. Then you see him in the locker room video, in the confrontation with a reporter during
    a post game interview, and his conflicts recently with umpires, you have to wonder who the real Mike Shildt is….laid back, tiger, or paper tiger.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think I have a problem with Maddux unless his program is leading to the excessive injuries. The control problem with the young pitchers is inconsistency in repeating deliveries and trying to do too much and overthrowing, which is a problem the world over with young pitchers.

I find it hard to be critical of Shildt’s game management when prior to the meltdown against the Cubs he had not lost a game this season that we entered the 9th with a lead.

Part of our young relievers problems could stem from the poor offensive support which causes a lot of stress situations.

SoonerinNC
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So far Shildt has a track record of a strong second half. Going to be very strong this season as far as we are out of the wild card.

bccran
    Participant

Let’s see how things are when we get some key players back.
    If you’re designed to win with pitching and defense, and
    your pitching has medical hiccups, you’re going to struggle.
    Getting players back sometimes makes a manager look much smarter.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As hard as it may be to believe, Shildt may actually find great comfort in getting the pink slip. I was fired several times, before finally going into business for myself, and almost every time I didn’t mind the experience. I wonder if Shildt has ever even been fired once in his life?……quick story. We all vividly recall our first time getting the ax. Mine was the summer of my high school graduation year in Solon. I went to work with my best buddy at his father’s company. General Metal Heat Treating was located in the belly of the beast of Cleveland, Ohio. Mike and I would go out EVERY night drinking and chasing young ladies until the wee hours….and then get up a few hours later with a raging headache. Mike’s father, always attired in suit and tie, drove us into work with him each morning. Mr. Torok was not a person to mess with. Though the car was immensely comfortable, the seemingly long ride in was nothing short of pure hell. He listened to nothing but the news and we just wanted to catch a little snooze, but he insisted that we both sit up straight and not slouch or God forbid doze off. The real hell started once we got there. I suppose the intense heat of that facility might have been fairly nice in January, but in June it was horrible. Dust, smoke and heat everywhere. OSHA would have had a field day with that place these days. You’d be in that place for 10 minutes and when you’d spit, it’s color was pitch black. Anyway, to make a long story short, Mike and I didn’t work out very well in the testing department, so we were both handed sickles and were told that our job for the summer was to hack down this huge field of weeds outside. So each and every day for the next 3 weeks when we arrived for work, we’d head straight outside to the back of the factory where we’d lounge with our backs to the wall by the railroad tracks and sleep, eat a snack or two and talk about taking grandiose trips out west to Arizona and California. Then one morning out there by the tracks with my buddy fast asleep and me reading the morning sports section, I heard his father’s riveting words “working hard boys”. That was my first firing. His father is still alive and in his 90’s and my friend’s two brothers now run the company. I say keep Shildt for now…..but on a very short leash.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The next question is why do players go to other teams and perform better.

The bigger question is why do players come here and then tank or fall short of expectations. You all know the suspects.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

There has been about a four year stretch now where management has not assessed player potential very well. There is probably a stat somewhere, but the club has given away more wins than they have acquired.

I thought allowing Kolten Wong to walk was a mistake, and that is looking like the latest in a long line of poor decisions. You pay Matt Carpenter all this money but allow Wong to leave.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It does seem like some teams are better than others at knowing when to pick up or cut bait on certain players. But oaee of me wonders how much of it is due to the system or perhaps just luck? The Cards had a run there from around 2009 to 2015 where every player they picked up just seemed to have a great season, and the guys they let go rarely seemed to do that wwll. Now we are in the exact opposite situation. Is it cyclical? I don’t know, it’s just speculation.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Yeah, Wong would look pretty good in a Cardinal uniform about now….and they just let him walk….

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In my mind it started around when threy let Lynn walk.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To me things haven’t been the same since 2015, which coincides with the Cubs ascension. That might be a coincidence or maybe it isn’t.

14NyquisT
    Participant

In my mind it started around when threy let Lynn walk.

OOOhhhh….. that was a bad one.

Q: has the Wainwright re-sign helped us more this season than the Arenado acquisition?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ny asked:

Q: has the Wainwright re-sign helped us more this season than the Arenado acquisition?

No.

Arenado 2.7 fWAR (tops for offense)
    Wainwright 1.9 fWAR (tops among pitchers)

14NyquisT
    Participant

It’s a tough call…. that’s why I asked what others are thinking. With 40% of our starters on the IL it adds to the importance of Wainwright’s Taking over as our #1 rotation guy.

Just having Arenado in the lineup and on the field = big plus also.

The next time we play a division rival that isn’t called the Pirates is on Aug 30th. at CIN for 3.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arenado 2.7 fWAR (tops for offense)

He’s hitting .259

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A relevant fact only to those who find BA more meaningful.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Brian, my only argument to Arenado’s WAR would be that how much of it is due to offense and how much is due to defense?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I do not understand why it matters. WAR is designed to be total value to the team, which is what the original question seemed to be asking. Arenado’s overall value to the team is greater than Wainwright’s – if you believe the metric.

And if you take WAR/$, it would be even better thanks to the Rockies playing Arenado’s salary!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Trying to come up with a stat that purports to compare a pitcher’s value to the team with a position player’s value is rubbish. Apples and oranges.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I think Ny’s question is a little more complex than who is providing more overall value to the team based on WAR. WAR is good for general discussions about who is having a better year (especially if the two players are of the same position). I believe Ny’s question would be better stated as who has provided the most net value specifically for the Cards, given how the Cards’ roster has been constructed this season.

Even if you believe WAR numbers are 100% accurate based on the stated definition, WAR is simply based on some calculated replacement value. Replacement value is not some constant we’re talking about with Ny’s question. Instead we’re talking about substituting specific players on the roster that might be above or below WAR’s “replacement” value for those positions. If Wainwright was not a Card, who would’ve pitched his 125 innings? Somebody less effective than Oviedo? So what is Wainwright’s value above that guy or those guys, whoever he or they are. Same with Arenado. He’s played in all but 3 games I think. I guess that would mean a lot more innings for Sosa/Carp/etc.

I wonder if forsch is talking about the lower certainty with the defensive side of WAR. Some have less faith in the accuracy of those numbers. Regardless of the accuracy, some debate that defensive position players get too much of the WAR pie for run prevention compared to pitchers, which would slight the pitchers.

I’m not making a case for either player, just think it was a particularly interesting question (the engineering geek coming out in me). I was curious and looked at the Cards’ record for games Wainwright has played in (11-9) compared to Arenado (49-50). Probably doesn’t mean much!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BW, pitcher war and position player war are not of equal value.

BR currently has awarded 365.8 position player war and 254.8 pitcher war, a 59%/41% split.

As Euro noted, position players get a share of the defensive war, along with pitchers.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The better question might be to what extent is each playing to expectation.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years