Dylan Carlson

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Dylan Carlson

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

If he has a good spring training will he start the season in St Louis?

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

What did he hit, .281 in AA?

He’d have to see some MAJOR improvement for him to be in St. Louis for opening day next year.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

He hit .361 in AAA in 72 AB’s.

Participant

Free

His overall #’s were .292 26 HR’s

Participant

Free

It’s gonna be tough to beat out whatever expensive veteran that Mo overpays for this offseason. I mean, currently unknown player had a good season last year, although it was the best of his career, and he is unlikely to repeat it. Also, unknown player is making a lot of money, which has to give him first rights to the position.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I stand corrected GameCard. My error.

Maybe he could be someone good for us.

Small sample size, however.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Free

Why do you think Mo is going to be unsuccessful in whatever he does?

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson is a great bet to be at least an average starter in the outfield. He could be a star. That’s what the Cards could really use.

As for his spring training chances…I see LF for sure and possibly CF as being up for grabs. So if he comes out hot, why couldn’t he make the opening day roster? I doubt Ozuna will be back and maybe not Fowler either.

Participant

Free

Between Carlson, O’Neill, Arozarena, Thomas, and Bader, our outfield should be covered.

Participant

Paid - Annual

With the trade of 3 outfielders doesn’t help Carlsons odds to make the team? Also, no guarantee they are adding another outfielder. Dean should help minor league depth, but wouldn’t be much more than a platoon player. And more at bats in Spring Training for the outfielders.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I wouldn’t underestimate Dean. IMHO he could become a starter.
    Good contact, decent power.

Participant

Free

Between Carlson, O’Neill, Arozarena, Thomas, and Bader, our outfield should be covered.

You can add Tommy Edman…he should start in RF.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You can add Tommy Edman…he should start in RF

Arozarena will be helping out Tampa, but add in Fowler and the OF should be about average. Edman will sub in at RF and CF, I’d imagine.

Participant

Free

Edman will not be a sub.

Participant

Free

It is not even April Fools day and some on other threads are talking of Carpenter playing left field. He would need that 26th man on the field to relay his throws.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The only way Carlson starts the season in St Louis is to be incredibly hot in the Spring, and a couple of others go down with injuries.

I would not count on Edman repeating last yhear’s performance. He was a nice story, but need to see what he can do longer term.

The guy that intrigues me is “Tommy Lane” (my name for Lane Thomas). He has the look of a guy that can provide strong offense with decent defense. I hope they give him a lot of reps in the spring.

Bader should be better than he has shown, I have little doubt O’Neill can carry a potent bat and drop the strikeout rate with regular playing time.

Lots of potential, but it is a matter of one or two guys stepping up and fulfilling the promise. Who knows, maybe Williams will come out and leap a few guys and be sort of the Jose Martinez of the next couple of Cardinal teams.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

There seems to be a queue
    of young guys who will be given a shot at a starting OF position. At the front of the queue are Bader and O’Neill. Next in line is Thomas. Behind him are Williams and Dean. Carlson has the highest ceiling, but he probably needs to be at AAA for the first half before getting a real shot. For multiple reasons. For fill ins, Edman and even Ravelo or Capel may get some time out there during the long season.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Im worried all this talk about Carlson is setting him up for disaster, just like BAder LAST year where his face was thrown around as the savior for the team and he fizzled…. or before that with Rasmus…where the whole future of the Cardinals was on his shoulders and he knew about it every day before he came up and then then he was here

Star players can be helpful in other ways than just performance, they can allow for the light to shine on them allowing for the younger players TIME to acclimate without feeling they HAVE to be the answer to all the problems

Participant

Paid - Annual

The best example is probably Reyes. But he still has some time for redemption.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jager – the same overhype happened with Taveras. Too much pressure on a young player.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

But at least he performed a bit in his little amount of time. And while he was the golden child he was only supposed to be solving the future not the present in that team

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jags –

Here’s how Taveras did at the major league level in 248 plate appearances after he was called up in 2014 –

.239/.278/.312/.590

Plus he was struggling a bit in the outfield.

Participant

Free

I have no problem with Carlson but I see a lot of people touting his numbers. but I seem to recall reading in the articles about the tampa trade, that arozarenas numbers as well as some others in the minors were skewed because of a live ball in the minors this year. so which is it. you cant use numbers one way for one player yet use them differently for another.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years