Cecil to 10-day DL

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cecil to 10-day DL

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Left shoulder strain. Sherriff recalled.

Brianpnoonan
    Participant

Free

Have a feeling we will see a bunch of this if there is anything ‘off’ at all this year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This signing is looking worse every day. Hopefully he can positively contribute at some point, but thus far this one is clearly in the “bust” category in judgements on free agent acquisitions.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Cecil was not a bust last year. He wasn’t a top 5 LH reliever like he was paid to be but he was actually fairly decent.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish Cecil had a swing and miss pitch, instead of a chase pitch. Or more giddy up on his fastball. Definitely not worth 7 mill a year at this point.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CC – Cecil was not decent regardless of what his numbers say. He came in time and time again and blew leads, big leads and small leads. IMO, if he alone had been nearly as good as what he is getting paid to be, we would have won the wild card.

I apologize for not providing data to support what I’m saying. But I listened, or watched, enough games to say for sure that Cecil was a disaster last year. Even Tim McLaughlin commented while doing the play-by-play over the weekend that the best word to describe Cecil last year was ‘erase’. He said ‘erase’ was appropriate because the year was so forgettable. I know his numbers don’t look that bad, but the numbers are lying. Cecil was crap last year.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Numbers always lie and our eyes and memories are so reliable.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He is a $40M mop up reliever. I would not trust him in a high leverage situation. Unfortunately the club has too much money invested in him to release him and they probably couldn’t give him away in a trade.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

He allowed 40.6% of inherited runners to score (which does not count against Cecil’s 3.88 ERA).
    Cecil allows runners to score

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As an aside, if anyone wants to review the 2017 bullpen in terms of various stats, including first batter retired, inherited runners scored, etc., I documented that all here.

TCN 2017 St. Louis Cardinals Relief Pitcher of the Year

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cecil has a second injury, an ankle problem that is also not considered serious. Still no ETA for his return.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Geezus one year into his contract and he’s broken.

And erase would be right for Cecil because he would erase any lead the Cardinals had.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is not good news. Too bad his rehab assignment can’t last for three years.

PadsFS
    Participant

I’d be happy to get him back. Hopefully he will have recovered. I was expecting a strong comeback season out of him and he can supplement Lyons against LH hitters since Lyons seems like he’s not LOOGY material really.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Doesn’t Cecil do better against righties than lefties? Not sure how he is a LOOGY, either.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Doesn’t Cecil do better against righties than lefties? Not sure how he is a LOOGY, either.

That is correct. Last year LH hitters hit .343 against him and RH hitters hit .208.

PadsFS
    Participant

2017 was an aberration. Even with the 2017 numbers, he is far better in his career vs. LH hitters than RH ones, giving up .662 OPS vs. LH batters against a .780 OPS against RH.

The difference is even more stark as a relief pitcher….except for last year of course.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Just read where Mozeliak announced that Cecil is out indefinitely.

I agree, good news.

r/Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Like I said in a different thread I think the Cardinals will try to hide Cecil and Waino on the DL as much as they can this year, which is a smart strategy.

14NyquisT
    Participant

They are certainly doing their parts.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Hide Cecil for 3 years on the DL. Fat chance. And what is the point. There are PR consequences with releasing Waino but if they dont want Cecil to pitch better just to cut bait.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Hide Cecil for 3 years on the DL? Fat chance. And what is the point. There are PR consequences with releasing Waino but if they dont want Cecil to pitch it would be better just to cut bait.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

if they really dont know what is going on…put him on the 60day DL…we need the spot for Reyes anyways

a good Cecil is a very valuable commodity and we are already paying for it…putting him on the 60day and figuring it out for even next year is still fine

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.