Cards Trade Diaz

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cards Trade Diaz

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

Interesting they pick up another OFer.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Beat me by 30 seconds.

It is interesting they picked up another OF prospect. Woodman is the 28th ranked prospect in Blue Jays system.

Participant

Free

It does clear another 40 man roster slot.

Participant

Free

Didn’t get anything back eirher

mbusappmbusapp
    Participant

Free

An all-star in 2016 to being traded for guy about to be 23 who hit .240 with a .699 OPS in A ball. How does that happen?

Participant

Free

Cards front office is bad at trades is how

Participant

Free

Wow….. trading him wasn’t a bad idea, trading him for nothing is unbelievable. I️ sure hope they know what they are doing, I’m sure I’m not alone in feeling it’s Stanton or bust at this point?

Participant

Free

If clears something like 2.5 million based on last year’s salary and a 40 man spot. That gives them a little more space to add another salary if they trade another player. Gonna be busy over the next two weeks.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by AvatarTexasCard.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by AvatarTexasCard.
    Participant

Free

Stanton + Ziegler = roster spots #39 and #40.

Participant

LOL, the kid was their No. 2 draft pick in 2016. This board is getting really brutal.

Participant

Free

23 year old who did nothing but strike out st A ball ugh

Participant

Free

362 ABs 157 Ks in 2017. Ouch.

Participant

Free

This makes it seem like a desire to cut payroll
    https://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2017/12/1/16726540/blue-jays-acquire-ss-aledmys-diaz-from-cardinals-for-jb-woodman

Perhaps due to incoming salaries from the Marlins (and to free up roster space)

Participant

Free

Unless they can give Woodman a complete makeover of his swing, this is a wasted trade. We are certainly already loaded with outfield prospects, so there will be no pressure for him to perform unless Diaz turns back into the 2016 version, in which case, the Blue Jays just picked our pockets!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow. On the surface, this seems like a horrendous trade. Diaz probably isn’t 2016 good but he’s a big league player with 4 more years of control. Maybe he’s irreparably damaged or something but…still…

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I always trust my gut instinct when it comes to trades. And my gut instinct tells me this one is going to haunt us. Big time.

r/Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Took a little longer to write up, but I hope you’ll find my analysis of tonight’s #stlcards Aledmys Diaz-J.B. Woodman trade worth reading. (free).

https://thecardinalnation.com/cardinals-flip-diaz-to-toronto-for-minors-outfielder-woodman/

Participant

Free

Same type of trade as matt adams. Go get a high upside high bonus guy with power who is decently far away and might have the light turn on… But maybe had an off year.

If you make five of these trades and one works out you look like a genius. Individual trades could seem pretty stupid though.

I like the trend… But people are wondering what they’re thinking without looking at the bigger picture.

Here’s a hint. Yepez, O’Neill and now woodman. What do they all have in common.

Hint: talent and in most cases power.

All it takes is one of the three being a three or four time all star and the cards win those deals cumulatively… Hands down.

We are basically flipping average players for lottery tickets with high upside. Play enough and odds are you win.

It is also how you keep long term depth when youre going to start flipping outfielders.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by AvatarBrianpnoonan.
    • This reply was modified 2 years, 6 months ago by AvatarBrianpnoonan.
    Participant

Free

This trade probably also indicates there are some fireworks coming. Sure they could stop with this deal but I doubt it…

Participant

Paid - Monthly

I dont see much indicating fireworks. Maybe eyeing someone in the Rule 5 draft as well as a reliever.

Participant

Free

Still don’t get this trade. It just stupid mo move

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Noonan, you don’t think the Cards sold LoW on Adams and Diaz?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I am not Noonan, but here is my take. There is no win. While I think the Cards sold “low” on Adams and Diaz, I have no confidence the players would ever regain a position to enable the club to sell them “high”. And if the players did improve, there would be less reason to sell at all. I see these as roster pruning matters, not direction-changers. JMO, so others please chime in.

Participant

Free

I agree with BW. This was nothing more than roster pruning. I also agree that he was passed over within the system and his value was not going to improve much. I do wish him well on his fresh start in Canada.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 5 months ago by AvatarTexasCard.
    Participant

Free

I didn’t like the Adams trade at the time, but he wound up being non-tendered, which means that since the Cardinals got something, they won from their perspective. Something is better than nothing. Atlanta won from their perspective in that Adams went on a tear the first month there. The best trades are win-win.

Diaz was out of options by conventional rules, though he had one left due to his contract. I think he would have been better as a kicker in a Marlins deal (since they are lacking IF depth), but the Cardinals were up against a deadline to keep him, trade him or non-tender him. They chose a trade. A trade beats a non-tender.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years