Cardinals get JA Happ from the Twins…

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Cardinals get JA Happ from the Twins…

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    1982 willie
    Participant

Ah the bader haters, just always waiting to pounce. If you are going to move anyone, move the money guys if possible.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Not a Bader hater. Just because you disagree on a players talent doesn’t mean you hate them. I hope he has a hof career and proves me wrong. Just have seen enough. Been watching baseball for 60 years and have seen a lot of guys that have moments in time that just don’t pan out. I feel he is on a hot streak. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bader has been hot since he came back. Some people want to believe. Jay was gone once he started making some money and Bader will be too.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I haven’t paid close attention lately but Gant is usually at least decent in the pen. Happy looks washed up. Doesn’t make a lot of sense, but maybe Mo has a tiny bit of magic left that he hopes to use up on these trades.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the minor leaguer Sisk. Given our lack of Lhp down there the choice is surprising.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Or he’s just throwing in bodies hoping that Flaherty and Mikolas will be back before to long and stay healthy…

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Is there any precedent for an MLB organization acquiring so many indys, cast offs and washed up guys in such a short period of time?

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Like everything else in the last year, dumpster dives ain’t as cheap as they used to be.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well the Cardinals have a history of getting rid of players before they have to pay them so it wouldn’t surprise me if bader was traded no matter what he does. He is most obviously on a hot streak, I think everyone knows that. But he obviously has changed his stance, approach and a few other things since coming back, something anyone who has watched baseball enough can tell. It you have to hit what he’s been hitting all the time to be on the team, well let’s just shut things down cause no one deserves to be on the team.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

This trade affects nothing, IMO. The Cardinals traded a pitcher who was going to be non-tendered this winter plus a pitcher who is 24 years old, still in A+ and wasn’t even on the Cardinals top 30 prospects. The posters on here didn’t even include him in the top 75 prospects. What they received was a veteran who could be washed up or might be having some bad luck or some other issue considering his stats seem to indicate a sudden drop in performance. I would have to look further into Happ to try to see what might be going on.

Mo does seem to be grasping for straws to try to get to the post season.

atripleshyofthecycle
    Participant

Free

I’ve watched baseball for a long time, and this might be the first time I’ve seen a team be buyers at the deadline, not to try to make the playoffs, but to actively try to make their draft pick better.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Bader has shown in the minors that he can hit. Minor league BA in over 1300 plate appearances is .285.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They were done with Gant in the rotation so Happ gives them more IP going forward. Ok, I get that, but Happ? That’s a white flag acquisition.

1982 willie
    Participant

Yea i think at this point gant was out of the plans anyway. I’m not sure happy provides anything but we will see.

Nigel T
    Participant

Paid - Three Months

Bullpen arms are so unpredictable, but veteran starters often pitch well in relief. Lester has had trouble late, but he could end up adding to the three amigos. Add Oviedo, Lester, and possibly Hicks. Subtract the three scrap-heap guys, and we are way better. Add Ponce, and remember Carlos is done starting. Mo said he couldn’t be expected to get stretched out, but Hudson and Martinez are still Longshot possibilities.

bccran
    Participant

Glad they got Happ. Should eat some innings.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Permission to vomit

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Go ahead ms, but these trades just point up what we already knew.

bccran
    Participant

We knew the Cards had some injuries in the rotation. These trades will help.

Flaherty
    Kim
    Mikolas
    Lester
    Happ
    Waino

We have some depth now for the last 2 month push.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I do not see Sisk in the top 50 prospect list, so it looks like we gave up spare parts to maybe give us a slightly better chance at being ready should things go well over the final two months. But then you need several other clubs to slump as well.

It’s a long shot no matter how you look at it. A lot of miles on those two left handlers. If we do happen to get some momentum going and those September games against the Cubs are meaningful, it will be fun having Lester go up against their club.

Thegreyghost
    Participant

Free

This team is not making a push to anything except staying at .500

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Looks to me Happs coming in to make it to the end of this season. Nothing more.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well at this point, might as well promote some positive vibes as opposed to negative ones..

forsch31
    Participant

Free

These moves today at least keeps pitchers in the minors to continue developing or pushes a couple of pitchers to the minors to try to work on a few things once our injured pitchers start coming back.

1982 willie
    Participant

So true there forsch

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.