Bud Norris to Cardinals

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bud Norris to Cardinals

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Free-agent right-hander Bud Norris in agreement with #STLCards, pending a physical, sources tell The Athletic. Excelled in first half with #Angels last season, but performance suffered after right knee inflammation twice forced him to DL.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/963073539074150405

Another body for the bullpen. After moving to relief last year, “BudChuck” saved 19 games.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I actually like this deal a lot. He has been a long time Cardinal nemesis and he really blossomed in the pen last year. This is a solid pickup.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Chris Cotillo reports it is a one-year major league deal. That means someone is coming off the 40-man roster.

Any guesses? Valera, Meyers, Gant?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Twitidiots seem to think this is the reaction to the Cubs signing Darvish. Sheesh.

Derek Shore
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My guess is Mayers, but maybe his strong winter performance buys him more time on 40-man.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

P-D columnist Ortiz used to be an Astros beat writer and he clearly does not like Norris as a human being or pitcher.

I believe a writer should show up to the clubhouse after he writes something critical. Therefore I’ll wait until I’m at spring training before I give my thoughts on Norris the pitcher, and worse, the teammate. The #STLCards are taking a step back with him.

https://twitter.com/OrtizKicks/status/963081961270071296

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    NJ315
    Participant

“The Twitidiots”. I like it! Can I use it?

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

ehhh type of move, nothing more

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

NJ, of course you can use it! That shoe fits so many.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

My guess is Valera.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Solid snag (as long as the price is low), used correctly he can be very effective

adds to our stable of closer-esque options

Greger, Lyons, Norris, Leone, Brebbia, Cecil

also, he seems the type that we could probably move at the deadline if we dont need him because other kids are ready) for a low end prospect

I think Mayers is the guy to get the boot though…makes me wonder if the move will not be finalized until the first day of ST and someone will go on the 60 day DL to create the spot

I think Valera has to be worried too with all the other options at the same position

PadsFS
    Participant

Not a great move, but I get it. This pushes Ryan Sherriff or Josh Lucas off the 8-man bullpen, which is what needed to happen. We needed three bullpen guys and Mozeliak actually got three although not the ones I wanted (Nicasio and Reed specifically)

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the move.Veteran bullpen arm who has starter experience if needed.Pitched very solid last season until knee injury and gave up a couple of grandslams which skews the stats down but all in all a solid move.

PadsFS
    Participant

Valera would make the most sense. It’s too bad we can’t have the inevitable injury (already) allowing us to move someone to the 60-man DL already.

Mayers would be next to be removed I bet.

Ankiel 2.0
    Participant

Free

This could end up being one very good low risk/high reward pickup for us if Bud Norris stays healthy. He has shown flashes of great play at times. Who on here thinks that this might just be a precursor to one more big move? It makes perfect sense if we plan to utilize Alex Reyes as Closer, and intend to sign/trade for a Closer. It could also be a move to setup up a trade for a frontline starter, and then move a couple of Starters to the Pen ala Mikolas, Lyons, Gant etc.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

So we didn’t want to sign any of the cream of the crop options on the market due to concerns about workload from the previous seasons but we’ll go ahead and sign a guy who had knee issues most of the last half of 2017.

I’ll wait for the full details on the deal to come out but this seems like a low risk move on DeCheap or I hope it is. Can’t be more than a million smackers cause if he gets lit up in the spring and makes more than that he’ll likely be brought up North and stay on the roster until June. We know how Dewitt wants to get value out of guys until there’s no other choice but to drop them like 3rd period French.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

He buys us some time for the kids to get ready.

I’m glad we don’t have to watch Lester play his swan song here. Wish we had Darvish for two, maybe three years, but not six years. Epstein has sure dug himself a hole. The Cubs are going to be looking at a tank and rebuild sooner than many people think.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Welp this is an underwhelming signing. I wonder how Norris will adjust playing with Yadi and Carlos considering they are the leaders on the team and they are, you know, Latino? Will he be able to get over his closeted racism? Should be an interesting clubhouse dynamic.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I don’t get the Twitidiots comment. Obviously Brian doesn’t understand sarcasm. Cardinal fans know Mo doesn’t have an answer for the Darvish signing.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Norris wont be a starter for us at all. So forget that!

And whom exactly is he bridging the gap for? Way i see things its nothing more than Matt Bowman insurance at best.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

I knew this family that went to a Christmas tree lot a few days before Christmas and found the tree with a broken limb and that was twisted into a grotesque shape so no one else wanted it. It was a tree in name only. They bought it and gave it a home. Bud Norris is kind of like that. He is a career loser with a high ERA and he was injured the last part of last season with bad knees at age 32 and we acquire him. I don’t think they signed Norris in reaction to Darvish being signed by the Cubs. Junior doesn’t operate that way. But is is depressing as a Cardinal fan as I am hoping that they will bring in big names with big talent and dazzle the fans and maybe make the playoffs. But then the Cubs sign Darvish, a potential all star and the next day we sign Norris and we’re not even sure if he can walk to the mound let alone pitch off of it. It is a head shaker but it gives me material for laughter. Maybe this is Junior’s answer to diminishing hot dog sales in September.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Goold is saying otherwise. He is saying Norris will be given an opportunity to start if one the prospects falters and has to be sent back down. I don’t know about you but this just makes me feel all the more better. Third place is a lock.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

So the Cubs continue to eat Filet Minon from the big boy table while the Cardinals continue to dumpster dive for left over scraps. Same thing different day.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 108 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.