Bob Gibson dies at 84

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bob Gibson dies at 84

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Card4Ever
    Participant

Free

My two favorites as a kid, gone within a month. RIP Mr. Gibson.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

A couple of great lines about Gibby come to mind. First was Johnny Keane, when asked why he stuck with Gibson in game 7 of the 1964 World Series after the tiring pitcher gave up some late runs:

I had a commitment to his heart

Then as a teenager sometime in the late ’60s or early ’70s, I could get the LA station at night that carried Dodgers games. I think it was KNX at the time. The Cardinals played the Dodgers this one night with Gibby on the mound. After the game on the Dodger’s post game show Vin Scully introduces the segment this way:

“Flip Wilson was at the park tonight and he coined the popular phrase ‘What you see is what you get’. What the Dodgers saw was Bob Gibson. What they got was a shutout.”

Classic!

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Hey Bike Mike?

The cool weather is about here in Indiana. And I usually get the urge to play Strat-O-Matic when that happens. I might have to consider some kind of replay in honor of both Brock and Gibson. 1971 might be high on the list.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

St”Rat”-O-Matic rocks! An almost annual tradition here at The Cardinal Nation, with The Esteemed One giving us a blow by blow account of the action. Play ball, Rat.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

First Seaver then Brock then Gibson and now Morgan. This has been one sad stretch for big league baseball.

r/Rat

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Hall of FAME has taken some major hits.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

With Gibby and Lou, about any season between 1964 and 1971 is good. Gibby started fading in ’72. I like both the ’70 and ’71 Cardinals. In ’70 you get to play Rich Allen’s only season with us when he crashed 34 homers in 3/4 of a season. Torre is real good as well, and Gibby won the Cy.

The ’71 team was better, with 90 wins and Joe Torre’s career year. Carlton wins 20, before the infamous “what if?” deal. Ted Simmons had his break out season on the way to a Hall of Fame career. Let’s see, with Simba in that ’71 team had Gibson, Brock, Simmons and Carlton – 4 future Hall of Famers. Plus Torre who probably should be there as a player.

Man, sorry to hear about Joe Morgan passing away. What a brutal year for losing our childhood hereos. You think about 1971, and it was the last year three All-Time greats were with their original teams. Carlton with the Cardinals, Morgan with the Astros, and Nolan Ryan with the Mets. All three were then part of bad deals before 1972.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

April 6, 1971: Billy Williams’s homer in 10th breaks up pitchers’ duel on Opening Day

I ran across this article about Gibson and Jenkins and Opening Day 1971 at Wrigley. Thought I would share.

r/Esteemed Rat<~~~~~who figures Gibson was steamed after that Billy Williams homerun in the 10th

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Jenkins had a great 1971. As I recall he even hit good that year. I remember my APBA card of Jenkins, and he had good hit numbers.

And Gibby had a great offensive year in ‘70. Hit over .300 with some EBHs.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reminder…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.