Bob Gibson dies at 84

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Bob Gibson dies at 84

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

May number 45 rest in peace.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

What a gut punch. 2020 is just not letting up. First Lou and now Gibby, on the same night the team gets punched out. That’s too rough. 🙁

RIP, Bob. Praying for his family and loved ones.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I suddenly feel very vulnerable. Gibby had that definite air of invincibility about him. Spoken from a fan’s standpoint of course, as I never met him. RIP Gibby……RIP. And thank you very much for being such a fun part of my childhood.

Participant

Paid - Annual

RIP to one of the greatest competitors sports has ever known.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Unbelievable losing Gibby and Lou this close together. This hurts. He was the best pitcher ever and what a competitor.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Very sad, he was the boyhood idol. Sad sad day. RIP Mr Gibson

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My 2005 article that somehow eluded the many purges from Scout to FOX to CBS…

https://247sports.com/mlb/cardinals/Article/Gabbing-and-Jabbing-with-Gibby-104182062/

Participant

Free

RIP Gibby and thanks for the memories.
    Especially 1968 and how you thrilled a certain 12 year old boy (me) that year with your greatest year ever in The Year of the Pitcher (1.12 ERA). If only Curt Flood hadn’t misjudged the fly ball in game 7, you’d have won 1968 WS game 7, having already done in in ’64 and ’67.
    You were a joy to watch and the kingpin of those great 1960’s Cardinals teams.

Participant

Free

Seven straight complete game victories in the World Series. Never before and never ever again.

Thanks, Bob.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

RIP Gibby.

I can’t help but think of two indelible Gibby moments for me. One was I raced off the school bus as a 4th grader 52 years ago today to see if I made it in time to catch the end of Game 1 of the 68 World Series. I got to see Gibby mow them down in the 9th in his 17 K shutout performance.

The second was I occasionally listened to the Cards radio broadcasts — not often though because the signal would fade in and out in NC. I happened to listen to Gibby’s no hitter against the Pirates in 71. What a lucky night to tune in.

kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

My All Time Favorite – Thanks for the Memories and Thanks Bob Gibson for being you.. Sad Sad Day

Participant

Free

Man I couldn’t believe this when I saw it in my news feed. It just really sucks. I wish I’d got to see him pitch. I didn’t start paying attention to baseball till around a year or two after he retired. A true cardinal great. I’m hopeful the Cardinals wear something next season to honor him and lou. Rest in peace Mr. Gibson.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

A true Cardinal hero. RIP Gibby.

Participant

Paid - Annual

There has never been a pitcher like Gibson… and there never will be. He gave me such great memories. Thank you Gibby. You made us all proud to be Cardinal fans.

Participant

Paid - Annual

A sad day for me. RIP Mr. Gibson.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

The guy that put those strong mid-1960s Cardinals teams over the top. You just knew in those World Series if you could somehow win a non-Gibson game, you would win the series as he was not going to accept losing.

Game 7 of the ’68 Series was a revelation for this 15 year old. When the Cardinals actually lost with Gibson, I realized that nothing can be taken for granted.

I met Gibby several times over the last 15 years or so at sports collectors conventions. He seemed to mellow some, but still was not exactly outgoing or overly joyous. Stan would come out and serenade people with his harmonica before sitting down at an autograph table, all smiles and enjoying the atmosphere. Gibby was a bit like he was as a player, just come out, do what you are there to do, and be done with it.

The greatest pitcher in Cardinal history. Man, we are not yet over grieving Lou Brock. Tough time. George Harrison’s “All Things Must Pass” is floating through my head right now….”Sunrise doesn’t last all morning….”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gibby

Come on 2020

Participant

Free

The 1960’s Cardinals were such a joy to watch. Or to listen to (Harry Carey and Jack Buck). Two Championships and a near miss in 1968. Someone asked McCarver a few years ago how long it took him to get over losing the 1968 WS and McCarver said he still hadn’t.

I recall in 1967 Roberto Clemente broke Gibson’s leg with a line drive but he kept pitching until he collapsed. He had such a drive to succeed and you had to drag him off the mound. His innings pitched put todays pitchers to shame.

I hurried home from school to watch game seven of the 1968 World Series, only to see the Cardinals lose. I’ll always wonder what would have happened, that long ago fall afternoon, if Flood had caught Northrup’s fly ball with the score 0-0 in the late innings. I think Gibson would have eventually outlasted Lolich and the Cardinals would have won.

Such a great pitcher and a great Cardinal. It’s hard to believe he’s gone.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years