Austin Dean acquired

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Austin Dean acquired

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he catches fire at the major league level, we could have a really good one. Really like his lower K rate to go with his power. Above average speed too.

Participant

Free

This still doesn’t make a bit of sense… who was the LH bat they traded Wisdom for? Ravelo who could give Goldy a day off here and there seems to me as a better bench option. Something else, that’s bigger, must be in the works is the only reason for this unless I’m clueless (my wife tells me I’m clueless all the time, so that’s entirely possible).

40 man at 39 now? Who is off it after the Weiters and Castellanos signings are announced?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Forsch, do not disagree with you. I was outlining why some may not like the deal.

I agree that he has the potential to contribute at the ML level. Brian’s article and interview hit the key point on Dean – ability to perform consistently at the ML level. The Redbirds may have something if they can break the code. They have done this in the past – remember Ryan Ludwick!

I just cannot stop wondering if this move is a prelude to one or two additional moves to come in the near future.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

Eric Ludwick was the exact best case scenario I was thinking of. This guy seems to have a great attitude. Maybe they found out the prospect was older than he let on or something. I do love those AAA numbers the last 2 years. I wish we had some info on line drive and hard hit rates to view. I’d be more excited knowing he is driving the ball and not getting by on dunkers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe the best comparison is José Martinez.

Participant

Paid - Annual

You mean Ryan Ludwick? What a monster year he had in 2008.

Participant

Paid - Annual

No, 27, I mean José Martinez. He was signed as an 18 year old and it took him a long tome to make it to the majors. When the Cardinals got him and gave him a chance at the major league level he had back to back .300+ BA seasons. In one of those seasons he had an OPS of close to .900. In the other one, it was .821. When the Cards got him from KC, he was coming off a monster AAA season with an OPS of
    1.024. Dean is coming off a 1.036 OPS with the New Orleans Baby Cakes in 2019.

I see a parallel between Dean and JMart. Hope Dean can break out at the highest level like José did.

Participant

Free

This is a beyond stupid move, why trade for a guy to put on the 40 when we been looking to clear OF spots…just stupid

Participant

Paid - Annual

Would we rather have Dean or would we rather have Adolis Garcia and Burgos?

I think I would choose the latter although I understand that Dean’s K rate is better than Garcia’s. I just thought Burgos had a chance to do something.

BeopigBeopig
    Participant

Free

First, obviously 27 was addressing Mrperkins’ Eric Ludwick comment, by correcting him with Ryan Ludwick and second, we did just trade away two outfielders and might be trading away more in the near future. Why not make this trade to add depth, without really hurting your farm system. The only thing that I have seen so far that has been a poor move, is all of the complaining about this trade. No great gain here, but also no great loss.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by BeopigBeopig.
    • This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by BeopigBeopig.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I keep seeing stuff about him “mashing lefties.” His career OPS against LHP is .617 vs .672 vs RHP. Am I missing something? Maybe he was better in the minors, I guess.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like a Drew Robinson II deal to me. Hope I am pleasantly suprised.

Participant

Free

Maybe he was better in the minors, I guess.

I’d question the sanity of the team that called him up to MLB if he wasn’t better than those OPS numbers in the minors.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d question the sanity of the team that called him up to MLB if he wasn’t better than those OPS numbers in the minors.

Ha. Wel, of course he would have better numbers in the minors. I meant that maybe his splits looked different, especially against LHP.

Participant

Free

It’s probably best to throw out Dean’s minor league stats prior to 2018.

In 2018, Dean hit .345/.410/.511/.922 for a 217 wRC+ in AA, and a 132 wRC+ in AAA. He had a .367/.408/.606/1.014 line against LH pitchers.

In 2019, Dean hit .337/.400/.635/1.035 for a 146 wRC+ in AAA. He had a .303/.407/.636/1.044 line against LH pitchers.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Thanks, Pads. I view these outfielders like drilling for oil.
    Someday several of the well(s) will come in. We basically need 3 outfielders for the future. Dean is coming on strong and has a chance. Arozarena and Garcia are gone. Bader and
    O’Neill haven’t caught fire yet. Mo has been touting Lane Thomas, but I see Dean as a surer bet.
    Carlson and Williams need more time at AAA. Mo was wrong with Grichuk and Piscotty as far as becoming core players. All he’s doing is doubling/tripling down.
    Very glad he made this trade. Let’s see what cream rises to the surface.

MrperkinsMrperkins
    Participant

Free

I did mean Ryan Ludwick rather than his brother Eric, who was also a Cardinal. Eric did play a beneficial role for the Cardinals after his call up. After getting the 2nd rounder Ludwick for Bernard Gilkey, he was the centerpiece in the package to acquire McGwire.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by MrperkinsMrperkins.
    Participant

Free

The splits I got for Austin Dean differed a bit from Pads’, with Dean batting a tremendous .377 and slugging .682 against minor league southpaws over the past two years (57-151 with 103 total bases).

Also, one other thing. His New Orleans home park didn’t do him any favors in 2019, as his road batting average was a gaudy .361 with a .677 slugging percentage. Now, we should bear in mind of course that he was old for his leagues, and furthermore the juiced ball was introduced to AAA in 2019.

But still, you can see how the Cards would want him competing with Ravelo and others for that 26th man slot. (My concern on the other hand is that for a year and a half we’ve watched the current manager give excessive playing time to bad-fielding flycatchers, and overuse at least one guy who really should have been a straight platoon player. Austin Dean may bring out the worst impulses of the manager — starting the better hitter while benching the better overall ballplayer.)

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Sounds like Mo was looking to replace J.Mart as a RH pinch hitter.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Deans defensive numbers are not good. Another question is he a AAAA player? Maybe he only hits minor league lefties? The good thing is they only traded an outfielder for him that is at least 4 or 5 years away minimum.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t see a reason to lament the loss of Burgos ….he was light years away from the majors…
    Dean is OF depth with MLB experience.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another plus is that they say he has an upbeat, go at 110% persona. Gotta like that.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

In the end the Cards traded Garcia, Martinez, Arozarena and Borgus for $$, Liberatore Gonzalez and Dean. I’ll take it because I am high on Liberatore.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Free

Dean has played against our farmhands at four different levels, within the same divisions. They know Dean and they want him, for now. Good enough for me.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sounds like Mo was looking to replace J.Mart as a RH pinch hitter.

Rangel Ravelo and John Nogowki say hello.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years