Austin Dean acquired

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum Austin Dean acquired

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

OF acquired for Diowill Burgos…

Dean is now on the 40man…

Seems an odd move when we are looking at adding a t least a backup catcher, and potentially one more impact bat…

so to me reads of a trade of another OFer is coming…

I wonder if the Arenado talks are involved in this somehow… maybe Bader, Thomas, Fowler are part of the discussions…

Welcome Austin!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Dean is a RH outfielder who was recently DFA’d by the Marlins. He has a career WAR of -1.2.

He looks to be no more than OF depth to me and I am not sure why we would need more OF depth unless there is a future move in the works as jager mentioned.

I should also say that I am sorry to see Burgos leave. He destroyed the DSL last year and I was looking forward to see what he would do stateside. I actually had Burgos aggressively ranked 39 in my personal rankings.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well…that makes just about no sense. A right handed OFer. I guess he had some success in AAA the last two years.

Participant

Free

I don’t see how this trade makes any sense.

A RH Left Fielder with negative WAR?

He was DFA, so it doesn’t make sense that he would be traded away (any team that wanted him could have gotten him). The Cardinals don’t need RH OF depth.

I don’t get it!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by AvatarOquendo11.
    thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Perhaps the Rox wanted to put in a claim for him?

If he wasnt on the 40man it would be one thing, but to give up a prospect, even a far away one, who is playing well…there has to be a reason

HE isn’t super young, his minor league years were good not great…either we are needing depth because another move is coming or the Rox (or another team wnt him) and we are here for the flip

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

YIKES! (Eric writes the scouting reports for Fangraphs in case people weren’t aware)

Participant

Free

This is mind boggling to say the least. Since Jager posted this, I’ve thought, and I’m still confused. I thought Burgos was a solid prospect with some potential?

Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Burgos was a solid prospect with some potential?

He most definitely was. I am stunned.

There has to be something else to this story that we don’t know about.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by Avatargscottar.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe Jeter has some video of Mo banging on salsa bottles during games or something.

Participant

Free

Dean is a RH outfielder who was recently DFA’d by the Marlins. He has a career WAR of -1.2.

Well, he’s not a switch hitter, but he otherwise looks like a cheap replacement for Fowler.

Participant

Free

Lol at this Craig Mish response:

Participant

Free

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

Baffled

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Without another move in mind, this trade reminds me a bit of the Mercado deal. A (likely) AAAA guy for some potential. The difference, of course, is that the Indians had need of an outfielder. The Cards…I don’t see how they would.

Participant

Free

stlcards25, its the reverse Mercado deal. This time the Cardinals trade away a very young prospect with higher upside for a AAAA player.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

stlcards25, its the reverse Mercado deal. This time the Cardinals trade away a very young prospect with higher upside for a AAAA player.

Right, that’s what I meant. The Cards are just on the opposite end this time.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I had Burgos in the 45-55 range among Redbird farmhands. He killed the DSL at age 18, which due to his age may or may not be meaningful. The club knew that it may or may not be meaningful, so they promoted him to a tougher and somewhat more age-appropriate level of competition, the Gulf Coast League.

In the Gulf Coast League Burgos struck out 30% of the time and batted .205. Not only is that a poor performance, but a very high strikeout rate for a rookieball batter who is NOT young for his league, is generally a terrible sign going forward. (I cannot explain the Fangraphs ranking. McDaniel and Longenhagen must have been dropped on their heads as infants. Repeatedly.)

Almost any young guy can theoretically turn out to be a major leaguer. But I wouldn’t do any hand-wringing over the loss of Diowill. And I think most people at this board know by now that I tend toward optimism when it comes to Cardinal farmhands. I’m assuming Austin Dean is basically Triple-A backfill, for Rangel Ravelo when Ravelo makes the 26-man roster on Opening Day.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Dean apparently has 2 options left.

Participant

Free

What am I missing? Everyone is talking about Dean like he is nothing. Just looking at his stats, he looks pretty promising. Burgos is a LONG ways away from the majors.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Austin has had some very good minor league seasons. However, he has not produced consistently at the ML level. So, I am guessing The reaction is due to his ML career slash line of .223/.268/.388/.656 after 381 plate appearances. He will entering entering his age 26 season. Baseball reference is projecting 308 ML plate appearances in 2020 with a slash line of .238/.295/.423/.719.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This deal was worth trying on name alone. Guys named Dean have done quite well in Cardinal uniforms.

Participant

Free

But is he Dizzy…okay sorry bad joke…unless I was mistaken about the name thing…

Participant

Free

1964cards, I understand the poor majors showing is very concerning. That is what I am thinking most posters are looking at. However, when I see a AAA slash of .331/.398/.546/.944 with 27 HRs and a K% around 17% all in 640 PAs, that is encouraging. Maybe he just needs a little more time to come around. However, I don’t have a lot of information to form a well-rounded opinion of him.

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Maybe Ravelo to Korea isnt dead.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years